Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Popped out with the camera after finishing work yesterday at 5:45pm. Got onto the storm which passed through Malton when it was near Sledmere in the Yorkshire Wolds. Visually, it appeared supercellula

A few shots of the storm tonight using iLightningCam app.

BIG storm went over here earlier, only just got power back on. Trees down and roads flooded in the Malton area, never seen anything quite like it, absolute carnage. Unfortunately my weather stati

Posted Images

I have just been speaking with a meteorologist in the US who works for Fox in Minnesota, he said he wasn't surprised as the GFS has been over cooking cape and li for a few weeks now. 

Now, if we could just get that lovely LP slap bang over the UK as shown on the 18 z here...

h500slp.png

.....There would be some lovely home grown afternoon thunderstorms, enhanced by CZ formation. The issue is we always see this at 6/7 days out then come the time the LP is shunted N and we're left with scattered light showers (as we saw happen a few weeks back). I miss the days of ripe storm days like shown in the chart above.

• Like 3

Sat24 showing subtle hints of convection around Manchester, nothing showing on the radar and it's likely too late for anything to materialise now anyway. Giving it until 2.30am then it's off to bed.

7 minutes ago, Mark Walker said:

OK,clearly that's just making me look like I've been drinking something strong (wish I had!),lets just say there's activity around Hull!

:D Pass me some of that would ya, need something to make me zonk out in this heat!

Seriously though, welcome to the forum and the madness of sitting up watching radars overnight. Blitzortung is showing those recent sferics approaching the Hull area with a nice little radar return, sadly it does look like that cell is off to join his mates in the North Sea *scowls*

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Despicable Weather said:

:D Pass me some of that would ya, need something to make me zonk out in this heat!

Seriously though, welcome to the forum and the madness of sitting up watching radars overnight. Blitzortung is showing those recent sferics approaching the Hull area with a nice little radar return, sadly it does look like that cell is off to join his mates in the North Sea *scowls*

Haha,thanks,think it was the forums way of telling me to go to bed!! Never again will I attempt to spell that place in North Lincs that begins with S and ends in E lol

1 minute ago, Mark Walker said:

Haha,thanks,think it was the forums way of telling me to go to bed!! Never again will I attempt to spell that place in North Lincs that begins with S and ends in E lol

What was that place again?

• Like 1

Couldn't make this up another cell skips land and then decides to make its self known in the north sea behind the main Scottish cell earlier :rofl:

11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Current precipitation charts look somewhat like Euro 4 charts for about the same time, just underestimating the rainfall further south. Got to say that is not good news as Euro 4, at least the 06z one, goes for virtually nothing, storm wise, away from that Scottish pulse.

Unfortunately Euro 4 was near the mark

Well certainly a bust forecast yesterday for storms overnight. Not enough heat and a front that was too weak. Not expecting anything today either.

Ooops morning forecast wrong already. Thunderstorms across the south east right now. Actually zippo and the same said for wales. I can see drizzle. Classic case of not having up to date information.