Jump to content

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Popped out with the camera after finishing work yesterday at 5:45pm. Got onto the storm which passed through Malton when it was near Sledmere in the Yorkshire Wolds. Visually, it appeared supercellula

A few shots of the storm tonight using iLightningCam app.

BIG storm went over here earlier, only just got power back on. Trees down and roads flooded in the Malton area, never seen anything quite like it, absolute carnage. Unfortunately my weather stati

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

It's 23c and 18c dewpoint here so still looking very good for yorkshire.  What do you think the chances of a supercell or two are today? 

 

According to Tony over on UKWW the sweet spot if anything does occur!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

First post on here... :)

 

Plenty of gaps in the cloud to the south and east of Wakefield now,compared to complete cover earlier (albeit very milky blue),it's become hotter and more humid over the last 2 hours but not overwhelmingly so (humidity still seems to be rising,now at a quicker rate though). Looking at the various posts on here looks like I'm right in the firing line in the next few hours if it comes off....

As I've been typing it seems some more defined clouds are beginning to form S of Wakefield.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AL. said:

Swindon is baking hot at 31c, gutting to think that there will be no storms after days of these temps! 

Never say never. There is still an outside chance (very very low risk) of something during the night for London and the SE. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Delka said:

anything showing for North Norfolk coast? Distant rumbles?

Not on the ICON model for today, although it does show something for tomorrow around your area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark Walker said:

First post on here... :)

 

Plenty of gaps in the cloud to the south and east of Wakefield now,compared to complete cover earlier (albeit very milky blue),it's become hotter and more humid over the last 2 hours but not overwhelmingly so (humidity still seems to be rising,now at a quicker rate though). Looking at the various posts on here looks like I'm right in the firing line in the next few hours if it comes off....

As I've been typing it seems some more defined clouds are beginning to form S of Wakefield.

Welcome to the community @Mark Walker and good luck, and yes looks like your in one of the best positions. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, P-M said:

 

According to Tony over on UKWW the sweet spot if anything does occur!  

 

Yeah does look like we have every single possible ingredient in place! I'm growing a little inpatient, but probably best nothing initiates until after 6pm as timing of the outbreak of thunderstorms soes look a rather important factor in how sever they will be.  I think if they can initiate between 6-8pm that will be the best time as it will coincide with highest temperatures of the day and also when all that moisture in the atmosphere can be released to to lower diurnal heating.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

right, do i get camera ready, pack the garden stuff away and totally jinx any hope of a storm later, or leave garden stuff out, leave camera packed away and increase the chances of a storm, lol, but in all seriousness, i am hoping for a storm or 2 but forecast says no, chances are by the sounds of it anyone who does catch a storm will get a carol kirkwood hummdinger

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

right, do i get camera ready, pack the garden stuff away and totally jinx any hope of a storm later, or leave garden stuff out, leave camera packed away and increase the chances of a storm, lol, but in all seriousness, i am hoping for a storm or 2 but forecast says no, chances are by the sounds of it anyone who does catch a storm will get a carol kirkwood humdinger

Like the name sparky haha ;) and you most likely have jinxed it now by saying the H word lol 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been out for my 58th smoke of the day. Lots of cirrus, lots of high-level smooth icy cloud spread around. Some mammatus made a very brief appearance and got stretched to destruction by atmospheric winds. In spite of the high-level ice, there's a pink hue emerging and it feels like something is brewing...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just 31.5c here, still blue sky although haze caps and some short lived Cu have started to appear in the last quarter of an hour, cirrus band to the North of us.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...