Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Supacell

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Recommended Posts

Here's today's lightning and rainfall totals..

595ea8a784c92_2017-07-06(3).thumb.png.eee2db39b65a433d4b24ad40140f4803.png 595ea8ac3d330_2017-07-06(4).thumb.png.b042fdce3f9c581223bb65fcd8c01b6b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

That storm is likely further away than you think. It can be very deceptive when the cloud tops are so high. 

Yes that is it

Remember last year or the year before when Peterborough got hit one evening by a huge storm. You could see the clouds lighting up from here in Chesterfield 60 miles away

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was so hopeful that the storm would push up further in our direction and not a sharp turn east wards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what i went to chase earlier to my east and i am glad that i did:D

DSC01439.thumb.JPG.1c49631c4f978e3451c4a80a0053351a.JPGDSC01440.thumb.JPG.314040fb182e937cff38974f4001dadf.JPGDSC01441.thumb.JPG.a25d76dfbdfe2acd7ab7091a3d17be9c.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stunning sunset of the cloud tops over Leicester,  watched the clouds at 40,000ft glow and sparkle with lightning as it moves towards Peterborough. 

Can't post photos as I havnt found out how to replace photobucket yet.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chrystal said:

That explains it them must be the stuff up past Leicester/ Peterborough area

Absolutely - my estimate of 30 miles very very conservative.  Earlier today, I was having storms here in South Norfolk, and a member here from Whaley Bridge in the Peak District was able to see the cloud anvils (same as your video), though he was at nearly 700 feet above sea level and had an uninterrupted view to his south-east, which enabled him to see the storm I was experiencing which he estimated was 140 miles from his location.  Obviously, the closer you are to the surrounding countryside, the closer your horizon will be, but I'd not be surprised if those weren't the sttorm in the East Midlands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all! Haven't had time to keep up with net-weather, storms, radars or much weather-related unfortunately. Was driving home from Surrey earlier though and saw a YUGE cell and I mean *explosive* convection like I had never seen before.....classic pileus cap and then incus anvil on what presumably was the North London-Essex cell. But while I was stuck in traffic, I had lightningmaps and net-weather's radar on my phone and noticed while the radar was positive around 6-7PM (looked very heavy precip) - the lightningmaps was showing around 4 - 10 strikes per min which is nothing. Was tempted to chase storm but made the right call I think driving home. 

 

Now it's all kicking off over Lincs and the north. Who are these people that keep saying the South-East get the most storms? It's East bloomin Kent which gets the imports and no where else in the SE. I've said for years that the midlands going up to the north-east (Lincs in particular) always get massive supercells that develop in the home counties/midlands and push north-easterly. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And still Darlington misses out got strikes and thunder a matter of a few miles north

Screenshot_20170706-221649.thumb.png.5699362a28f276ffc6abd7a4a615fb0f.png

IMG_20170706_215556212.thumb.jpg.fc05ffc2572e506f06f7949e6975d266.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

And still Darlington misses out got strikes and thunder a matter of a few miles north

Screenshot_20170706-221649.thumb.png.5699362a28f276ffc6abd7a4a615fb0f.png

IMG_20170706_215556212.thumb.jpg.fc05ffc2572e506f06f7949e6975d266.jpg

Looks like its going to be a bust here aswell, either going to have all of it go North or all but one go North and one go to the South.. I'm still staying up to see if i get any distant flashes though haha, never know anything could happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Louthweather said:

A few shots of the storm tonight using iLightningCam app.

IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

Nice catch, think that's it for us now, they have gone East and not directly towards us lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some nice cloud top stats on those storms..

Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-22-57.thumb.png.488bd0c670706fa285336913c1a56fc7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The storm near hull will I be able to see flashes in Bridlington from it .?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely incredible here! My friend has got a cracking CG shot. I'll ask her permission to share it soon! I've got some footage, but there will be more to come! Constant flashing all around!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

The storm near hull will I be able to see flashes in Bridlington from it .?

As long as your view in that direction is unobstructed I'd say so :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the storm appears to be just N of Peterborough im still seeing some impressive lightning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TEITS said:

Despite the storm appears to be just N of Peterborough im still seeing some impressive lightning.

storm has passed north east of here, decent lightening but storm wont make my top 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jcweather said:

As long as your view in that direction is unobstructed I'd say so :) 

I was thinking of going to seafront 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Absolutely incredible here! My friend has got a cracking CG shot. I'll ask her permission to share it soon! I've got some footage, but there will be more to come! Constant flashing all around!! 

Are you in Spalding or Peterborough EES?

looks like Boston is the best bet at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sparky1972 said:

storm has passed north east of here, decent lightening but storm wont make my top 5

We had some good Thunder and Lightning for a time, could have been so much better though if the lof from Newark didnt suddenly turn East or quiet down as it approached us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I gave it a good go bit after over 3hrs waiting in McDonald's near Newbury I called it a BUST as the cold front went over and the wind swung to the west.

Always next time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful storm going off north of MK. Not quite sure how far but it was producing in-cloud lightning at a very regular basis about 15 minutes ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Evening all! Haven't had time to keep up with net-weather, storms, radars or much weather-related unfortunately. Was driving home from Surrey earlier though and saw a YUGE cell and I mean *explosive* convection like I had never seen before.....classic pileus cap and then incus anvil on what presumably was the North London-Essex cell. But while I was stuck in traffic, I had lightningmaps and net-weather's radar on my phone and noticed while the radar was positive around 6-7PM (looked very heavy precip) - the lightningmaps was showing around 4 - 10 strikes per min which is nothing. Was tempted to chase storm but made the right call I think driving home. 

 

Now it's all kicking off over Lincs and the north. Who are these people that keep saying the South-East get the most storms? It's East bloomin Kent which gets the imports and no where else in the SE. I've said for years that the midlands going up to the north-east (Lincs in particular) always get massive supercells that develop in the home counties/midlands and push north-easterly. 

 

 

I always get shouted down when I say this, but anywhere NE of Milton Keynes gets more action than most

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...