Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Hello

Having seen the radar images of the storms to the east of Leeds and Sheffield, I drove from Manchester up and along the M62 trying to catch some storms yesterday evening. However the M62 was closed from junction 33-34 and although I could see some cumulus-congestus clouds some way to the east, it seemed things were dying off. There were no cumulo-nimbus in sight, so I simply turned round at the Normanton junction and called the chase off.

Obviously this was disappointing, but I saw some nice cloud formations on the way. There appeared to be a very vigorous up-draft (crisp cauliflower appearance) to several cells in the line, but then they became embedded in alto-stratus with velum strips lower down. The radar imagery showed the active areas of rain moving fairly quickly to the north east. The whole area of storms seemed to be hard to catch up with so I called it off.

Did anyone experience the storms that occurred over North and East Yorkshire and the Humber areas? What time did they start and finish?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and showery airflows
5 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

And there's this view of a section of the Herts cell as it was reaching maturity - was under the anvil at this point but there was no rain for about 20 mins

IMG_9546.thumb.JPG.fc7ac57c0cd1739c97cc6be4942d6e42.JPG

What a stunning picture!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and showery airflows

Any reason to be cautiously optimistic for Sunday into Monday down here on the South Coast?

Edited by Jules777
spelling error
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

This is from Benidorm about 1hr ago decent storm

IMG_1641.MP4

Posted
42 minutes ago, Gorky said:

IMG_6305.thumb.jpg.2954be8718f6fb412fa6e8bd44380ad9.jpg

Approaching the storm from the east as it started to show epic structure! 

IMG_6316.thumb.jpg.e233fe1466b64cda14447a4bbcb6c55b.jpg

Storm at its most photogenic!

Wow that certainly appears supercellular, close to on a par with some US Storm Chase pics and you know your stuff in that regard. What time was it when these 2 were taken and what, roughly, was the postcode so the radar from then can be viewed?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey
4 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Wow that certainly appears supercellular, close to on a par with some US Storm Chase pics and you know your stuff in that regard. What time was it when these 2 were taken and what, roughly, was the postcode so the radar from then can be viewed?

First shot - 54°4'38" N 0°33'11" W - Probably YO25 3AQ - Time 6:38 according to my camera taking BST into account which appears about right

Second shot - 54°3'16" N 0°32'58" W - Possibly YO25 3XS - Time 6:51 according to my camera taking BST into account

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

some absolutely stunning pictures and captures from yesterday's storms...a big thumbs up to all who shared them with us :good:

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gorky said:

First shot - 54°4'38" N 0°33'11" W - Probably YO25 3AQ - Time 6:38 according to my camera taking BST into account which appears about right

Second shot - 54°3'16" N 0°32'58" W - Possibly YO25 3XS - Time 6:51 according to my camera taking BST into account

Interesting, these storms died as they got to the coast, but the next wave made it. Brilliant photos by the way

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
3 hours ago, Jules777 said:

Any reason to be cautiously optimistic for Sunday into Monday down here on the South Coast?

The Net weather forecast mentions it and two recent bbc forecasts have called for it, After dark on Sunday into Monday it seems.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
4 hours ago, Gorky said:

Popped out with the camera after finishing work yesterday at 5:45pm. Got onto the storm which passed through Malton when it was near Sledmere in the Yorkshire Wolds. Visually, it appeared supercellular. Probably the best discrete storm structure I've witnessed in the UK!

There's pretty spotty data coverage so I had no maps or radar, just played things by eye. 11 years chasing in the US helps in this regards :) First shot was East of Sledmere on the Bridlington road. The second two were south east of Sledmere on the Driffield road. Looking at Google maps, I probably could have gone a bit further south and found some open areas, but the view was too good to risk missing the show entirely! All in, I made it home from work, changed, grabbed camera, chased a probable supercell, got back home changed again, and was in the pub drinking a nice pint of cider in a little over 90 minutes :D Wish all chases were this easy hah!

IMG_6461.thumb.jpg.bf4bf8286c0f7cfa7211f696b4fd4d8e.jpg

Weirdly, the only bolt I captured. There was plenty of lightning though most CGs were landing in the rain core just right of frame and I missed two epic bolts which landed dead centre as I could only shoot for 0.5-0.8 second shots.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I concur with Andy Brown in that you can certainly see supercellular characteristics, with a clearly defined meso.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
15 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I concur with Andy Brown in that you can certainly see supercellular characteristics, with a clearly defined meso.

5 hours ago, Gorky said:

Popped out with the camera after finishing work yesterday at 5:45pm. Got onto the storm which passed through Malton when it was near Sledmere in the Yorkshire Wolds. Visually, it appeared supercellular. Probably the best discrete storm structure I've witnessed in the UK!

There's pretty spotty data coverage so I had no maps or radar, just played things by eye. 11 years chasing in the US helps in this regards :) First shot was East of Sledmere on the Bridlington road. The second two were south east of Sledmere on the Driffield road. Looking at Google maps, I probably could have gone a bit further south and found some open areas, but the view was too good to risk missing the show entirely! All in, I made it home from work, changed, grabbed camera, chased a probable supercell, got back home changed again, and was in the pub drinking a nice pint of cider in a little over 90 minutes :D Wish all chases were this easy hah!

Weirdly, the only bolt I captured. There was plenty of lightning though most CGs were landing in the rain core just right of frame and I missed two epic bolts which landed dead centre as I could only shoot for 0.5-0.8 second shots.

That's the kind of thing that I dream of seeing. Well done!

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Yeah, drove up to Hunny, found  a lovely place to park (after seeing some great stuff en route) and then it just karked it! :wallbash:

typical :oops:where abouts was the park? theres some lovely little areas around here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
7 hours ago, Gorky said:

Now I'm made up! Yes! Well done for getting that, it looks amazing and thanks for sharing. Thats the money shot for me, thats what I need to see (not taking away from anyone else with awesome pics and vids of storms clouds etc). If it were with tornado then it would be priceless. I recorded parts and nearly all of the radar to animate it because I saw 2 or 3 right movers and a left mover. I would like to pinpoint which one it was in order for future reference! Estofex did mention a chance of a supercell or two with hodographs suggesting it and bingo thats what we got and theres visual evidence! Again well done, good for you.

May I ask can I share these pictures credit to you on my facebook group please?

I'll post the radar animations segments and then the whole thing in my next post or update this one.

right_mover_1_06-07-2017.avi.mp4

Radar_2_06-07-17.avi.mp4

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
3 hours ago, Delka said:

typical :oops:where abouts was the park? theres some lovely little areas around here 

Bit ambivalent about beaches (never know who's lurking!) but found a nice high spot up on Mill Rd (??) I always look for hard standing as having an auto van means it's a matter of seconds before I get bogged down...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

O.H just got back from Frankfurt and said yesterday afternoon & last night they were hit direct by two belter storms - the latter of which she slept through and is now experiencing the "storm grumps" as a result (more scientifically its like storm chaser equivalent of PTSD).

I told her it may take weeks to recover - and the only proven cure is to become a Netweather forum user, but she's having none of it at the moment

:laugh:

oh well I tried!

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey
48 minutes ago, Greeny said:

Now I'm made up! Yes! Well done for getting that, it looks amazing and thanks for sharing. Thats the money shot for me, thats what I need to see (not taking away from anyone else with awesome pics and vids of storms clouds etc). If it were with tornado then it would be priceless. I recorded parts and nearly all of the radar to animate it because I saw 2 or 3 right movers and a left mover. I would like to pinpoint which one it was in order for future reference! Estofex did mention a chance of a supercell or two with hodographs suggesting it and bingo thats what we got and theres visual evidence! Again well done, good for you.

May I ask can I share these pictures credit to you on my facebook group please?

I'll post the radar animations segments and then the whole thing in my next post or update this one.

right_mover_1_06-07-2017.avi.mp4

Radar_2_06-07-17.avi.mp4

I was hoping someone had some radar of the event as I was pretty much flying blind. I was wondering why I kept having to go further south... that storm was certainly moving right! I left the storm shortly after that last shot as I suspected it was on a downward turn so nice to get that confirmed too! Feel free to share on your group. I have an album on facebook under my account you can share if you wish, too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
21 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Cape amounts have increased a bit on some of the latest updates, worth keeping an eye on for tomorrow?

SUNDAY CAPE.png

Just as I had decided to spend my time on something else this weekend the British weather only goes and shows me a glimmer of hope... gah!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Just as I had decided to spend my time on something else this weekend the British weather only goes and shows me a glimmer of hope... gah!

lol, if anything it'll probs be heavy showers with one or two rumbles and flashes 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Yep... sounds about right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
13 hours ago, Gorky said:

I was hoping someone had some radar of the event as I was pretty much flying blind. I was wondering why I kept having to go further south... that storm was certainly moving right! I left the storm shortly after that last shot as I suspected it was on a downward turn so nice to get that confirmed too! Feel free to share on your group. I have an album on facebook under my account you can share if you wish, too!

I'm glad it was useful, taking radar animation is definitely worth doing! Ok I will share your album to the group. Nice one :)

Edited by Greeny

Posted

Yep looks like the main thundery low coming up from France is now heading towards Belgium (Thats a first must admit) We are left with sunshine and showers but always more pokey in the Storm Capital of England namely the Midlands and Lincs again! Meh

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Convectively it's a barren wasteland around here for the foreseeable. Until we lose those light Westerly or North-Westerly vectors then you can pretty much draw a boundary along 53°N 2°W and forget about anything interesting if your north and  west of this.