Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!

Looks like Nth Somercoates/ Donna Nook will be getting the wolds storm but constant flickering of lightning seen from my back garden as I look towards that direction. Getting dark so hopefully see more shortly. Very still feeling here still though.

Regards Glenn 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, sparky1972 said:

not really happening here at the mo

Are you going to be in that gap I wonder?

595ea4f5e475e_2017-07-06(2).thumb.png.f60fc7a09a88b02d9e85b59ef6303f7f.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine

Great little storm here. Just the right time of eve to see the lightning as well.  My storm drought is officially broken. 

• Like 2

Posted

Actually now seeing lightening strikes/bolts now high up in the tops of the Newark storm

Good viewing from our window

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc

Well its defo not gonna hit here but I can hear thunder, almost constant and really distant and luckily too I can see the odd feint flash , dunno if I can class it as our 1st storm thou hahaha

Posted
Just now, snowprincesspboro said:

Well its defo not gonna hit here but I can hear thunder, almost constant and really distant and luckily too I can see the odd feint flash , dunno if I can class it as our 1st storm thou hahaha

Rain has stopped here now, quiet down with lightning and thunder but I think this could just be the beginning of it, especially if it picks up to 40-50 strikes again

Posted

The joys of not being directly under the heavy rain means we get to see clear lightning from north and south !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective

last shot before camera packed up,no storm and now no camera.oh life how cruel you can be.haha

DSC_0006.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!

The one that got away!!

Regards Glenn 

20170706_220332.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
3 minutes ago, Chrystal said:

Hi everyone. Can anyone explain why seeing distant lightning in cloud when looking at radar nothing is that close by?? Sorry quality is not great 

52106777983__3287E870-32A2-4D1A-B706-8F3BE07E77B6.MOV

That storm is likely further away than you think. It can be very deceptive when the cloud tops are so high. 

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like its taking a quick turn East now, typical how as it was 30-40 strikes; as it gets close to us it turns the opposite direction lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

That storm is likely further away than you think. It can be very deceptive when the cloud tops are so high. 

I couldn't see any lightning on the video, but I'd expect those storms were a good 30 miles at least from your location given how distant they appear.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc
7 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Rain has stopped here now, quiet down with lightning and thunder but I think this could just be the beginning of it, especially if it picks up to 40-50 strikes again

It's quite constant flashes here say every 15-20 seconds and a constant low grumbling sound with the odd louder crackle, from where I am (nw peterborough) I can see pink flashes all over the sky, too far to see actual forks of course but lovely seeing that flicker xx

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chrystal said:

Hi everyone. Can anyone explain why seeing distant lightning in cloud when looking at radar nothing is that close by?? Sorry quality is not great 

52106777983__3287E870-32A2-4D1A-B706-8F3BE07E77B6.MOV

Judging by the direction you seem to be facing (NE from Banbury?) it could well be the back edge of the Melton/Leicester cell?

Posted

It's quite constant flashes here say every 15-20 seconds and a constant low grumbling sound with the odd louder crackle, from where I am (nw peterborough) I can see pink flashes all over the sky, too far to see actual forks of course but lovely seeing that flicker xx

Nice, I think its calmed down for us here now, was rather hoping the one at Newark would push further to Lincoln and increase even more

Posted
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I couldn't see any lightning on the video, but I'd expect those storms were a good 30 miles from your location given how distant they appear.

That explains it them must be the stuff up past Leicester/ Peterborough area just as mark said 

Edited by Chrystal
  • Like 1