Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Anyone noticed the hook on that Cambridge storm?! Part of me wishes that I had gone down there earlier, but at least there's signs of development out west! 

Doesn't surprise me - it came out of no-where, it's going to be a real treat for anyone in it's path. I had the honour of being right underneath it when it was getting started :):):)  Could well give some guys some severe weather as it moves east.... particularly hail 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, poseidon said:

Can see the anvil from here - pretty impressive, looks like a nuke when off over Cambridge.

Oh my, can see it from here too. Very impressive 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

I'm literally on the river Severn, nothing too exciting yet. Certainly more cloudy than an hour ago so things building here, but suspect by the time its anything significant it will be heading further west. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Alright, I'm headed up to the roof for a quick look at whats going on...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, poseidon said:

Can see the anvil from here - pretty impressive, looks like a nuke when off over Cambridge.

There have been a lot of cells northeast of Cambridge since this morning, would have thought these would reduce the likelihood of things going bang in that area but what do I know - Mo Natch proving otherwise!

Posted
4 minutes ago, poseidon said:

Sky has turned white round here. Not sure if it's first tentative signs of convection or a capping inversion to rub salt into the wounds.

Edge of the strong cap just moving away from us now, were moving into the better side.........Fingers crossed.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

I have to be honest it's now or never for this part of the world today, if storms are gonna happen... And sadly I think it's gonna be a bust for this area. :sorry:

But on the other hand, it's nice to see the strong and sharp convective cloudscapes rather than the weak and fluffy convective skies that seem to have plagued this year so far.  :D

But after a little four mile walk I got back into the road where I live, and saw the rear of this little beauty over towards Chester. :)

Then as I got home, I saw this little beasty brewing up to my north west. :bomb::)

So although today could well be a bust for me, it looks like this area is the breeding ground for the storms that are heading east!

As ever I shall keep you all posted. :)

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

I am also loosing hope now. The curse of the Irish sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
Just now, Chris101 said:

Edge of the strong cap just moving away from us now, were moving into the better side.........Fingers crossed.

Yes, looks marginally more hopeful I guess. Just wondering whether to stay put or drive up to Newmarket.

Posted
4 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

I'm literally on the river Severn, nothing too exciting yet. Certainly more cloudy than an hour ago so things building here, but suspect by the time its anything significant it will be heading further west. 

Everything is heading east today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

The Midlands looks like it could miss out again... or at least a small few hit or misses later this afternoon. :nonono:

Posted

Feels hot and sultry today, got a feeling storms will be happening somewhere in this area just feels right if you know what I mean.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...
Just now, karyo said:

Everything is heading east today.

That's what I meant! Whoops. Can see the tops of the cell (weak as it is) East of Wrexham now. Looks way better than anything close to where I am.  We shall see, but still cant rule out something for the rest of the midlands to the EAST of us. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Ok, so its not looking great at the moment. Like a furnace outside, but no meaningful convection within sight in any direction with the exception that I can just about see a big cumulus through the haze in the far distance to the north that looks like its trying to push upwards but there's clearly a cap in place which is limiting potential. Overhead it blue skies and melting hot sunshine. :angry: Why do I get the feeling today's chances are evaporating at a rapid pace? I'm losing hope now.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Alright, I'm headed up to the roof for a quick look at whats going on...

Be careful now....

Posted

Scattering of convection earlier has gone, replaced by more isolated AcCas towers now but still building skywards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Ok, so its not looking great at the moment. Like a furnace outside, but no meaningful convection within sight in any direction. I can just about see a big cumulus through the haze in the far distance to the north that looks like its trying to push upwards but there's clearly a cap in place which is limiting potential. Overhead it blue skies and melting hot sunshine. :angry: Why do I get the feeling today's chances are evaporating at a rapid pace? I'm losing hope now.

Unlike other times, we do have the possibility of that cap being eroded. It is, as noted on the UKWW extracts, unlikely to be by virtue of temps/DPs, but instead a trough feature, falling heights and/or CZs. If the cap does go (and I agree, environment increasingly capped around London at the moment) then it will be explosive and likely packed full of severe elements. With pressure falling and some atmospheric disturbances lurking around up there, I'm not out of hope yet.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Really don't know what we have to do to get a decent storm around here. 6th July and still not one rumble heard this spring/summer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Really don't know what we have to do to get a decent storm around here. 6th July and still not one rumble heard this spring/summer.

I know how that feels :( 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

It would be nice if a isolated thunderstorm came my way in Warminster in Wiltshire in the South West

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

The current rainfall radar is much quieter then the Met Office forecast radar (except for East Anglia) which doesn't bode well for later, still time for it to change but any storms may be more localised then currently forecast.

Hopefully I am wrong but we shall see, I think some good storms should have fired up in the North-west by now....

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Cell has burst to life to the west of Newcastle - lets hope it continues to build as it'll be on a collision course for moi 

• Like 1

Posted

This is the webcam at Norwich on the cathedral. Can't see any lightening as it face into the birds nest, but nearly bounced my speakers off the desktop with a almighty crack of thunder

http://upp.hawkandowl.org/norwich-peregrines/norwich-cathedral-peregrine-live-web-cam-2017/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

mmm...Bouncing of the CAP or our incredibly efficient storm shield

IMG_2033.JPG