Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Having a bit of a dilemma here. Do I go SE and try to intercept that developing line, or do I wait here?!... Decisions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Sounds like the most trustworthy models got it spot on - but unfortunately other modelling systems went to town and got it badly wrong!

Very early to write today off - it was always this afternoon and into this evening that was where the main interest lay, maybe not in your neck of the woods but for more central areas it's still all to play for - more so considering the effect of better insolation now taking place.

Was always gonna be a chase-day in my book...

Yeah I thought maybe we would get lucky because the Meto forecast radar was pretty bullish at 10pm but very little actually popped up. It seems that areas further north do better from plume setups now compared to the south. Instead of 3 fine days and a storm its often 3 fine days and a bit of low level cloud..., it makes you wonder why the plumes live up to their thundery potential less often... But hey its still early and there may be a surprise but the lack of activity over France/the Channel makes me less confident.

The trough is clearly coming to life to the north of the M4 perhaps it was the bad timing of its arrival that compromised it down here,

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted

Loving it here at the moment - to the North of Cambridge. Right beside these exploding cells - constant rumbles. Cloud developments are superb! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
9 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

I can just see that line of precipitation forming exploding into some huge thunderstorms as the heat builds. All from that line of Cumulus that I saw earlier. 

The line of precipitation is slowly increasing in intensity too.

the precip is evaporating on the way down or is a false return, at least for here....the radar infers moderate to heavy rain here, reality tells me different....in fact, there is some mid-level cloud around but nothing that looks especially threatening

Posted
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

the precip is evaporating on the way down or is a false return, at least for here....the radar infers moderate to heavy rain here, reality tells me different....in fact, there is some mid-level cloud around but nothing that looks especially threatening

Over here I can see above that line of cloud and there are some cells bubbling up within it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Just been outside. No idea on temperature readings but I can tell you from a human perspective its absolutely BOILING. :angry: Towers to the south, and to the north. Absolutely nothing overhead though except blue sky with a bit of cirrus. Just doesn't seem to be any convection whatsoever in tower hamlets.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted

Crystal clear skies and nice heat here in Wakefield now after some murk early on,will see if anything develops.

Edited by Mark Walker

Posted
1 minute ago, STORMGUY said:

some signs of cloud development along wales/england border.

Yep ive noticed that.  certainly warm here temps of 26.3  with a DP of 17.1   all seems good at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning @Carl46Wrexham :)

I'll take a 50% risk. :D

You're still at 50% risk as I type this.  Yours truly currently at <5%. I'll take a distant rumbler though if it comes to it. Better than nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Just been outside. No idea on temperature readings but I can tell you from a human perspective its absolutely BOILING. :angry: Towers to the south, and to the north. Absolutely nothing overhead though except blue sky with a bit of cirrus. Just doesn't seem to be any convection whatsoever in tower hamlets.

A good dose of insolation my boy - may help us out later this afternoon/evening though not betting money on it 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Some good altocumulus castellanus about and hints of small cumulus trying to develop.

Yes, the sky is looking a bit more favourable now.

Mind you, not a single shower in the region yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

A good dose of insolation my boy - may help us out later this afternoon/evening though not betting money on it 

Lets hope friend. I'm now seeing signs of small cumulus just starting to appear overhead. What I really want to see later is a big, dark, towering cb with visible rain core heading straight towards me while rumbling away! :)

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Where would be a good place to get to this afternoon - was considering heading anti-clockwise round the M25 to Hertfordshire area and waiting for developments there.

Any thoughts?

Come to Cambridge. I hate the T and L but it feels like we've been targetted anytime there's even been a threat recently. Once again one of the only places to get anything in the entire bloody UK so far today.

Bring on the winter where no doubt we won't get a bloody drop of snow though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Whats this feature heading into Wales? It was not forecast. Only a few clouds here and very warm though. 26C

Posted
2 minutes ago, JMTD said:

Come to Cambridge. I hate the T and L but it feels like we've been targetted anytime there's even been a threat recently. Once again one of the only places to get anything in the entire bloody UK so far today.

Bring on the winter where no doubt we won't get a bloody drop of snow though.

I've always found East Anglia to be particularly favourable. Every single time I've been there (even just over a weekend), a storm has kicked off. 

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Sky to my north :

IMG_0033.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

A  DP of 19.3°C - I see some Cu bubbling up to the Southeast of me.

This is very encouraging, as is the persisting smattering of AcCas dotted around the London skyline.