Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

A wise man once said not to take much notice of the percentage risk.

but what the hell

:yahoo:

upgrade from this morning. will be gone tomorrow.

storm risk.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

IMG_1653.thumb.PNG.1049cbe5ab289510d81cae831699f258.PNG

Thursday evening and into the night!! 

Must. Keep. Calm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Yep - spot on!

2017-07-04.thumb.png.b747ae437019d776e93b165f47ef4a58.png

Although, I preferred September 13th, as that didn't miss me..

595ba4f66c8aa_2017-07-04(1).thumb.png.1511eb72df55560e2ec616c6d9dbd724.png

And I got this beauty on  my phone..

SavedImage_20160913_111258_19.thumb.jpg.2ebe60e70d908ddecef333de21ff7bd5.jpg

Feels like years ago for some reason?!

Probably the two most sickening let downs for my area - smack bang in the middle gap only for storms to re initiate to our North, and the other time veering away just before reaching us. Classic.

Edited by Chris K

Posted

Is it me or does this show Thunderstorms looking more organised now?

Though less cape as they move East across Lincolnshire which is typical lol

THURS 1 6PM.png

THURS 2 9PM.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Is it me or does this show Thunderstorms looking more organised now?

Though less cape as they move East across Lincolnshire which is typical lol

THURS 1 6PM.png

THURS 2 9PM.png

Yes, but with a slight more eastward emphasis starting to appear now in my opinion - moving towards what the Met office warnings show. However on the grand scale of things, a tiny adjustment will be substantial when it comes to seeing who gets the storms and who doesn't, in our part of the world.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
Just now, Chris K said:

Slight more eastward emphasis starting to appear now in my opinion - moving towards what the Met office warnings show. However on the grand scale of things, a tiny adjustment will be substantial when it comes to seeing who sees the storms and who doesn't in our part of the world.

Yeah, I' be in a perfect place for them; however the little amounts of cape is worrying for much of a display

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It is too early to go into specifics of where rain will fall and where the highest CAPE will be. Still differences between the models and I doubt there will be agreement as to where the best storms will be (have been) until Friday. At present it is a widespread risk across the entirety of England, Wales and maybe the far south of Scotland (as per the Met Office warning issued earlier). If past history is anything to go by then I would favour more eastern parts of this area but history does not always repeat itself.

As it stands there is a 72% risk of thunderstorms even in Belper, which is hard to believe after it having been so long since the last storm here.

As has already been mentioned, Euro4 is a good model to use and at very short range (24 hours or less) it appears to be very accurate. I would also take note of the forecasts provided by the various experts across this site and others too. Good luck all :)

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, TJS1998Tom said:

Yeah, I' be in a perfect place for them; however the little amounts of cape is worrying for much of a display

Ah but that is mainly showing surface CAPE in line with surface heating of the day. You also want to be looking at the MLCAPE and other convective charts - keep an eye out - I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable will post them over the coming couple of days as we enter a higher resolution on the models.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Chris K said:

Ah but that is mainly showing surface CAPE in line with surface heating of the day. You also want to be looking at the MLCAPE and other convective charts - keep an eye out - I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable will post them over the coming couple of days as we enter a higher resolution on the models.

MUCAPE for Thursday afternoon and MLCAPE for midnight Thursday/Friday.

viewimage.thumb.png.fa14e57117400da9dca02f9f6b43a654.png     viewimage2.thumb.png.d7d29e0526bfbfdd5f779f910707c3a6.png

@TJS1998Tom this is all moving eastwards. ~1000j/kg MLCAPE at midnight is not bad at all. Still open to big adjustments yet though.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

So tonight would be a good night to clear your photo library on whatever device you use for storm pics :good:

Don't want to leave it til the last minute!

I'll be charging my camera up tomorrow lol, just hope the models stick to something similar as they are for Lincolnshire ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well on the 12oz we have a convergence zone close to us which will of course be in a different place on the day in question. Local forecast has the rest of the week dry bar some showers around 19:00 hrs Thursday but with a warning of heavy rain despite forecasting dry weather the rest of the time. It just looks daft.  Not getting excited seen better charts and got zilch.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Is there a site that has these strike rate maps for historic viewing? As I would like to look up around July 2013

Some terrific storms developed during one evening that year.

Edit just found the date 23rd July 2013

Edited by 80sWeather
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Is there a site that has these strike rate maps for historic viewing? As I would like to look up around July 2012 

Some terrific storms developed during one evening that year.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/europe/index.php?bo_page=archive&lang=en

Just select your date and hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

Wednesday:
It will remain dry with some good spells of sunshine developing through the day. It will also feel very warm or hot, especially in the sunshine. Maximum temperature 29 °C.

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:
There will be a mixture of sunshine and thundery showers on Thursday, with warm and dry weather through Friday. It will turn fresher on Saturday after some early rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

Warnings affecting Warminster

Yellow warning details
Rain

Between 06:00 Thu 6th and 06:00 Fri 7th

Isolated thunderstorms are likely to develop across parts of England and Wales from Thursday morning, before clearing east early on Friday. While these storms may miss many places, where they do develop intense downpours are likely, bringing a low risk of sudden flooding of roads, transport routes, homes and businesses. Lightning and hail may be additional hazards.