Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
38 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Not wanting to jump the (loaded) gun, but are we potentially seeing something similar to the July event back in 2014?

As I remember that was a Thursday night too, plus additional and notable activity on the Friday and Saturday afterwards.

If so then this time I'll remember to chase on the Friday - because the last time I stayed put til too late to see that awesome wall cloud move in across the Channel towards Kent & Sussex...

Reckon Lincoln, Skellingthorpe could be in for a chance Thursday evening/night?

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

The event on Thursday morning is really looking like what had happened on 28th August 2016, where storms formed in the channel, pushing up through CS England and increasing NE/E towards East Anglia. Here an MCS formed reaching lightning rates of over 100/min. Funny enough the rainfall rates predicted by WRF-NMM coincide with this capture from 28th August 2016.

Interesting to watch...

IMG_4765.PNG

that one was insane here, decided to go out and "chase" it as it got close and it turned out it was so big it was impossible for me to miss it! Constant rumbling with marble sized hail. We've had one good storm in 2015, then this one in 2016, maybe another single big one to make up for it here this year aswell?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
25 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

2 years ago to this exact date what a night that was!

I remember that. If I lived where I do now I would've almost been underneath the storm that came in over Bournemouth but still had a good view of it from where I was back then. Not seen as much lightning as that in one storm before. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
47 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

If that's the case I hope it moves slightly northwards so Lincoln will get something as we just missed out last year

If it does track up through the Midlands and then curve away to the east along a narrow band like this I reckon there will be an actual riot on the convective forum :rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
42 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

If it does track up through the Midlands and then curve away to the east along a narrow band like this I reckon there will be an actual riot on the convective forum :rofl:

Aha, I just know we'll miss out by a couple of miles lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Seems to be a lot of disagreement about if/when storms will take place on Thursday.

UKMO and NW models seem keen to push storms through more quickly than GFS or WRF-NMM.

Hoping the latest is right and it is a later affair. Not keen on trying to commute home during torrential downpours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc
3 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

The event on Thursday morning is really looking like what had happened on 28th August 2016, where storms formed in the channel, pushing up through CS England and increasing NE/E towards East Anglia. Here an MCS formed reaching lightning rates of over 100/min. Funny enough the rainfall rates predicted by WRF-NMM coincide with this capture from 28th August 2016.

Interesting to watch...

IMG_4765.PNG

Hmmm well if it could be like that actual day Id be really happy (without the destruction of course) I remember it so well, peterborough had a direct hit, aparantly perfect storm, constant flashing, loud booming thunder impressive hail etc, on Facebook my dad posted pics of his conservatory roof smashed in by hail, my sister in laws house got hit by lightning, everyone who I knew was going crazy over this fabulous storm, lasted like a few hours, I'd only have hoped for a nice little storm all summer last year, and I counted down the days till I'd prob be able to intercept an amazing European storm, considering we was driving from Peterborough to Barcelona straight through the centre of France, thought finally my chances were near on perfect... I had to hear of this amazing day all over Facebook the day after arriving (after seeing no storms!!) whilst sat on a baking beach.... never did I ever think I'd be sat in the glorious sun on an amazing beach looking at lightning maps watching 100+ strikes per min directly over my house wishing I was at home, well that's just my luck hahaha oh well doing it all again in 7 weeks, mark my words if it ever happens again I'll never go on holiday again hahahahaha 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

The event on Thursday morning is really looking like what had happened on 28th August 2016,

IMG_4765.PNG

Just being a slight pedant here, it was Saturday 27th August. A very loud early to mid afternoon with constant thunder for several hours while I was at football that made me wish it had been at night.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
5 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Just being a slight pedant here, it was Saturday 27th August. A very loud early to mid afternoon with constant thunder for several hours while I was at football that made me wish it had been at night.

My mistake I just had that date saved on the picture of my phone oops! Apologies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Yep - spot on!

2017-07-04.thumb.png.b747ae437019d776e93b165f47ef4a58.png

Although, I preferred September 13th, as that didn't miss me..

595ba4f66c8aa_2017-07-04(1).thumb.png.1511eb72df55560e2ec616c6d9dbd724.png

And I got this beauty on  my phone..

SavedImage_20160913_111258_19.thumb.jpg.2ebe60e70d908ddecef333de21ff7bd5.jpg

Feels like years ago for some reason?!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Yep - spot on!

September 13th makes me laugh, I remember being at school right in the middle of South Bristol where there was no lightning over us but either side. Couldn't see any of it because the buildings at my school were huge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Haha I need to start remembering storm dates - I remember the year and if I'm lucky the month, and if I'm really lucky maybe the week :D

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
Thankfully my phone does all the work for me these days ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
22 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Yep - spot on!

That one was just after I moved into the house I'm in now. Went on for several hours but never overhead and hardly rained here. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Surprisingly, my phone has taken rather burred pics, but there has been some rather impressive, be it dark skies around.

forumclouds1.jpg

forumclouds2.jpg

forumclouds3.jpg

Posted

September 13th would have been great at night too! Mother Nature had her plume storms 12 hours out of kilter for my maximum enjoyment lol.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Dami said:

Surprisingly, my phone has taken rather burred pics, but there has been some rather impressive, be it dark skies around.

forumclouds1.jpg

forumclouds2.jpg

forumclouds3.jpg

I'm in Bedford today and tomorrow and agree, skies have been varying from dark/ominous to bright/sunny all day. Humidity creeping up too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

I've had a yellow warning placed on my area for Thursday and Friday...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

I have an 85% chance of thunderstorms for my location on Thursday, as well as having a yellow met office rain warning!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

*excitement intensifies*

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, LightningLover said:

*excitement intensifies*

Behave!! You should know by now that that is not good form... :aggressive:

...admittedly I am too, but it only exacerbates any disappointment if it doesn't go to plan :sorry:

• Like 2

Posted

Showing 85% for here too. Wonder if it will still be the same tomorrow. :clapping:

• Like 1