Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Since just before midday when I heard the first decent boom of thunder out of nowhere, its been thundering sporadically, last thunder was fairly distant about 15 minutes ago and before that the last lightning that was detected on lightning maps was 30 minutes before that. Frequency has been slowly dropping. I haven't seen any lightning today myself, the leading edge did have some high level mammatus. Judging by reports the nearest overhead lightning to me in Norwich was East Dereham way.

Edited by Greeny
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Just now, Greeny said:

Since just before midday, its been thundering sporadically, last thunder was fairly distant about 15 minutes ago and before that the last lightning that was detected on lightning maps was 30 minutes before that. Frequency has been slowly dropping. I haven't seen any lightning today myself, the leading edge did have some high level mammatus. Judging by reports the nearest overhead lightning to me in Norwich was East Dereham way.

I'm south of you and saw a bright flas to the north-west around 12:30.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Finally got a decent flash of purple lightning, it just all of a sudden sprung back into life.

Lightning 27-06-17 15.34.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Chloe said:

Is anyone getting storms in West London as planes are flying overhead really low! ???

Eh? Are you suggesting that low-flying jets make loud thunder-like noises...As well as produce fake temperature records, Chloe?:D

I always put the loud noises down to the bin-men!:drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Things are re-developing over France. Wether it will reach us or not is a different matter.

IMG_0290.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I think things are looking good as western areas of France have switched the mains back on :-)

But what I do not fully understand is how it can be raining for several hours and then allow convective weather to push in behind it without requiring at least a brief spell of sun to re-energise things.

Can anyone explain this?

Posted
5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think things are looking good as western areas of France have switched the mains back on :-)

But what I do not fully understand is how it can be raining for several hours and then allow convective weather to push in behind it without requiring at least a brief spell of sun to re-energise things.

Can anyone explain this?

Does this (from today's Netweather storm forecast) help?

This heavy rainfall and possible elevated convection develops on the NW edge of high WBPT (Wet bulb potential temp) plume across mainland Europe, probably due to engagement of cooling aloft as upper trough approaches from the west and also isentropic uplift of the warm/moist conveyor above cooler/drier NEly surface flow over SE UK. Possible isolated embedded elevated t-storms spreading N across the Channel across SE UK within area of heavy rainfall developing and spreading N may pose a risk of localised flooding, given PWAT (Precipitable Water) values of 33-36mm. This heavy rain and embedded storms continuing overnight into Wednesday morning, with a continued risk of localised flooding. Have issued a MARGINAL risk for risk of flooding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Can anyone explain this?

Because the storms are higher up in the atmosphere and do not rely on surface heating from the sun for food 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, tomp456 said:

Because the storms are higher up in the atmosphere and do not rely on surface heating from the sun for food 

Lol, food

So they get their energy from the moist upper layer(s) of air then?

Would be interesting to watch from a plane or balloon (from a safe distance hehe)

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Lol, food

So they get their energy from the moist upper layer(s) of air then?

Would be interesting to watch from a plane or balloon (from a safe distance hehe)

Essentially, the energy is coming from a collision of a cool, dry Atlantic airmass and a warm, moist airmass from a plume.  Normally, when a plume destabilises over the UK, the warm, moist air is established in situ and is present from the ground up, hence heating from the ground is a factor in destabilising the atmosphere.  As the plume is currently trying to move in at a time when the temperture near the surface is fairly cool, it's moving in above it, generating a temperature inversion (warmer air above cooler air), so daytime heating of the ground isn't a factor.  What's destabilising that already elevvated warm air, however, is the cool, dry air from the north west which is wedging under the warm air and lifting it, hence the base of the storms are much higher than usual and daytime heating from the sun is irrelevant.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 5

Posted

When's this elevated stuff supposed to arrive?

its got brighter over the last 30 mins on the south coast

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

When's this elevated stuff supposed to arrive?

its got brighter over the last 30 mins on the south coast

I think there's some on the way from France, but some of East Anglia has already had elevated storms. 

• Like 1

Posted

Would the south coast (say Bognor / Selsea area) be a good place to park up and wait for storms?

Another option is Butser Hill, but worried that might be a little too far west on this occasion.

Current thinking is to start heading north and keep ahead of it but that's dependent on how heavy the rain is around the approaching storm front

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

spots of rain falling in the good  ol south west . Nothing extravagant by any means, and not bothered abt thunder , but I think the rain may be an issue as a local weather service has just popped up with a warning . 

Glad those who like storms are getting them . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Probably way too far west here but it's certainly noticeable how humid it is, which is making it feel warm despite it only being 16°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

I'm even more to the west of you and it's humid here . Been an odd sort of a day . Not fun with pneumonia! 

Bigger spots now .falling faster . 

Posted
31 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I think there's some on the way from France, but some of East Anglia has already had elevated storms. 

Ahhh.

we had a few rumbles earlier, hope the main course is still it come

Posted
26 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

All that stuff in France wont even clip Kent(imo).

Posted
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

All that stuff in France wont even clip Kent(imo).

It'll probably ease off as it reaches the coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

not really humid not really raining much, missed out on thunder. :wallbash: