Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

...and yet all those storms in Germany developed to my east. You couldn't make it up. Back in the UK tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Nice and fresh here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

...and yet all those storms in Germany developed to my east. You couldn't make it up. Back in the UK tomorrow.

Where abouts are you staying?

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

Where abouts are you staying?

I am just NW of Dusseldorf, but with no car to go out and chase. I was hoping they would come here but nothing more than a couple of distant rumbles from a storm that developed just to my east and headed over Essen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

I am just NW of Dusseldorf, but with no car to go out and chase. I was hoping they would come here but nothing more than a couple of distant rumbles from a storm that developed just to my east and headed over Essen.

That's just bad luck,hopefully we might get something next week but i am on afters,as it stands there is a risk mon night

talking about your location,i use to stay in Venlo on the Netherlands/German border when i was working over there and i can remember a storm one evening/night and it was constantly lightning and rumbling for a good two to three hours.

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

That's just bad luck,hopefully we might get something next week but i am on afters,as it stands there is a risk mon night

talking about your location,i use to stay in Venlo on the Netherlands/German border when i was working over there and i can remember a storm one evening/night and it was constantly lightning and rumbling for a good two to three hours.

It's still stifling here, so not sure the cold from has passed through yet. It's unlikely to produce anything though.

They do have some great storms here. The 9th June 2014 supercell was an absolute beast and it came right over Holland, Belgium and NW Germany. I'd love to witness something like that.

• Like 1

Posted

Even better, combine plane spotting with dtorm chasing :yahoo:

http://worldcams.tv/transport/prague-airport

• Like 1

Posted

Meanwhile on tramcam in Prague

594c3212d4122_PragueLightning.thumb.png.5737c476475e9dbbe4cd79d3fb82029f.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Potential thunderstorms Monday night into Tuesday?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, LightningLover said:

Potential thunderstorms Monday night into Tuesday?

It's what the BBC are showing atm, though it's 4 days away so no doubt will fade away and probs just come out as rain : P

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Welcome to the UK, the weather will tease you with storms and snow but doesn't come... just like my girlfriend. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

You`ve got to love the GFS pub run:D

we wont get fooled again

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
1 hour ago, TJS1998Tom said:

BBC Week Ahead forecast looks interesting on Monday night, but it all could be for the South again lol : P

1 hour ago, TJS1998Tom said:

It's what the BBC are showing atm, though it's 4 days away so no doubt will fade away and probs just come out as rain : P

More like another kent clipper or another eastward shunted storm so Guildford misses out yet again.

Dreadful season to date and looks like 2017 is worse than 2015, and that is really saying something.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Severe Blizzard said:

More like another kent clipper or another eastward shunted storm so Guildford misses out yet again.

Dreadful season to date and looks like 2017 is worse than 2015, and that is really saying something.

I really hope Lincolnshire gets at least one big night storm, I have a feeling if anything happens on Monday night it'll be for the coast with the main activity across the channel like last month

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning all :)
I hope that at least some of you managed to get and enjoy some of the storms yesterday. :)
Anyway... If you're still feeling storm starved, or like me you're wanting more, I've just been having a quick butchers at the 00z run from the GFS, and I've cherry picked these three charts for this coming Wednesday (28-06-17).
Certainly not showing the insane levels of CAPE like earlier this week, but hopefully this could mean that there is less chance of a cap in place(?) and therefore a good thing?
Anyway, its still a long way off, so I would say that these charts are anymore than a nice bit of eye candy... But as ever worth keeping an eye on them. :)

One other thing... Is it me or has anyone else noticed how charts like this are now showing up on and for a Wednesday? ... A trend for the summer? We shall see. :rolleyes:
Anyway, have a good day all, and hopefully a nice spiky little storm will creep up out of nowhere for at least some of us, and surprise us. :rolleyes:

Screenshot (52).png

Screenshot (53).png

Screenshot (54).png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 05:59 UTC Sat 24 Jun 2017

ISSUED 09:54 UTC Fri 23 Jun 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

On the southern flank of the upper vortex north of Scotland, strong westerly flow and cold advection will steepen lapse rates on Friday night, with scattered showers containing a low risk of lightning - more especially towards Shetland where the greatest mid-level lapse rates will be.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-06-23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

http://www.severe-weather.eu/recent-events/severe-thunderstorm-outbreak-in-germany-june-22-2017/

Lot of chat about what went on in Germany yesterday (in part from the import from us!) but this has a lot of it all wrapped up in one place. Some of the vids at the bottom are great. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
5 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning all :)
I hope that at least some of you managed to get and enjoy some of the storms yesterday. :)
Anyway... If you're still feeling storm starved, or like me you're wanting more, I've just been having a quick butchers at the 00z run from the GFS, and I've cherry picked these three charts for this coming Wednesday (28-06-17).
Certainly not showing the insane levels of CAPE like earlier this week, but hopefully this could mean that there is less chance of a cap in place(?) and therefore a good thing?
Anyway, its still a long way off, so I would say that these charts are anymore than a nice bit of eye candy... But as ever worth keeping an eye on them. :)

One other thing... Is it me or has anyone else noticed how charts like this are now showing up on and for a Wednesday? ... A trend for the summer? We shall see. :rolleyes:
Anyway, have a good day all, and hopefully a nice spiky little storm will creep up out of nowhere for at least some of us, and surprise us. :rolleyes:

Screenshot (52).png

Screenshot (53).png

Screenshot (54).png

At the moment, I feel next week is looking quite good for some convective action. It may not be the same as having a large plume of heat de-stabilizing , but there would still be enough instability around for a more widespread area to see some storms developing, in the form of homegrown thundery showers. As ever the nature of these may be quite hit and miss.

Still, with enough daytime surface heating, there could still be some crackers if the timings are right. Will be keeping an eye on things as we move through the weekend :)

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

http://www.severe-weather.eu/recent-events/severe-thunderstorm-outbreak-in-germany-june-22-2017/

Lot of chat about what went on in Germany yesterday (in part from the import from us!) but this has a lot of it all wrapped up in one place. Some of the vids at the bottom are great. 

Thanks for sharing this. Much as I love a good storm, some of the images I've seen yesterday make me feel very glad we don't get storms on that scale here. Beautiful to watch from a distance , but I'd imagine pretty scary to be there

• Like 4

Posted

BBC Weather still suggesting Thunderstorms Monday night on the Week Ahead, but this time it's looks like it's moving more North East

THUNDERSTORM MONDAY 2.png

• Like 1