Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I don't wish to brag, but my temp is now at 16.4°C, DP is 15.4°C and inside temp is finally down to 26°C - no fan needed on the aquarium tonight, yippee!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

This was the day @Mesoscale

Ah yes, remember watching various vids from London - the thunder was incredibly loud on all of them (don't think we had anything here)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
7 minutes ago, Harry said:

This was the day @Mesoscale

That was it, I can't believe its almost 6 years ago now? Thank you Harry. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

That was it, I can't believe its almost 6 years ago now? Thank you Harry. 

No worries - I know I can't believe it either. It's one of those storm days that's emblazoned in my mind, if for nothing else the amazing CGs and amazing thunder (that was the last time I'd say we had proper thunder!)

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

No worries - I know I can't believe it either. It's one of those storm days that's emblazoned in my mind, if for nothing else the amazing CGs and amazing thunder (that was the last time I'd say we had proper thunder!)

Yeah I agree, only once since then have I heard wardrobe rattling thunder, and that was just a close CG. I think most of the thunder since then has been elevated in the storms. The time before that was the August 2006 storm, I went to Asda with my mother and when we came out the sky was black to our south and she joked about seeing a huge flash of lightning but it turned out to be one of the largest storms I have seen in the UK. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Potentially a reload next week.....

image.thumb.gif.a16ddf57eb4184623ed26aa6ae6e8930.gif

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mickpips said:

Not read through the comments but wanted to say how disappointed I have been with tonights storm potential ..... other than a few 'minor' lightning strikes towards the NW and a few very isolated downpours across the north of England ... here in Leeds we have had two periods of what I would call 'spot' rain today .... so much for the 'severe' potential. Having said that , it is still extremely muggy out at the moment

Just been to Asda to get a few beers and smokes, car say 22.5c and feels muggy as hell! Can especially feel it walking out of the nice cool supermarket, man it hits ya!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think this was the day we were working in Barnes at a three storey house renovation and there was a CG which people said had struck the scaffolding (there was a split-second delay so I reckon it was something nearby but not us) - but the car alarms were all going off - presumably because of the boom.

it was one of the first times I remember having an awareness that storms were predicted for our area, and anticipating it gleefully.

I even had my camera ready that day and took it work with me but by the time I was out near the Thames it was all disappearing over towards East London.

Was quite a fast-moving storm if I'm remembering correctly - about 30 mins before it seemed to be past us and swiftly moving away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Well that fizzled out didn't it.  Nothing was there to trigger them.  It's a shame because i think some massive storms were in the offering.  Oh well, maybe next time.

Posted

New cells popping up in the north sea was so close yet so far... :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted

Estofex is out and very uninspiring. Looks like the heatwave will go out with a whimper, 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
35 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I don't wish to brag, but my temp is now at 16.4°C, DP is 15.4°C and inside temp is finally down to 26°C - no fan needed on the aquarium tonight, yippee!

Starting to drop here now at last and I can feel the slightest of breezes through my window. 20.8C last update, down from 22.3C an hour ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, poseidon said:

Estofex is out and very uninspiring. Looks like the heatwave will go out with a whimper, 

I don't remember things being like this when I was a kid. I can remember consecutive years of memorable storms and a few night time events chucked in for good measure too. Never known anything like the period we are in at present. It's an effort to get anything.

It cannot be normal to be going whole 12 month periods without any thunder surely.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well looking at the radar now, I'd say the storms have initiated, however they are further north and east than thought. I wonder what that means for the second wave forecast for the SE in the morning. Temp here still 21.4.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Storms are kicking off like mad now in the north sea could cry lol 

Posted
1 minute ago, Aiden2012 said:

Storms are kicking off like mad now in the north sea could cry lol 

Knew this would happen, lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Knew this would happen, lol

I'm proper gutted :(

Posted
12 minutes ago, Mark Griffin said:

Well that fizzled out didn't it.  Nothing was there to trigger them.  It's a shame because i think some massive storms were in the offering.  Oh well, maybe next time.

I've stopped saying that - every next time seems the same these days - always a reason why: no Cape, no trigger, no wind, too big a cap...

At least we're forecast something in a few hours, so I might have a wee snooze :)

• Like 1

Posted

At least the Oil platforms are getting a good show!  :rofl:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

I'm proper gutted :(

Too far east lol, I see how why they would have been severe for us if these were in the UK. Better look next time : P

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

I don't remember things being like this when I was a kid. I can remember consecutive years of memorable storms and a few night time events chucked in for good measure too. Never known anything like the period we are in at present. It's an effort to get anything.

It cannot be normal to be going whole 12 month periods without any thunder surely.

2015-2017 seems to be following the same pattern around this way, we have very hot periods with extreme cape etc but with impossible to break capping, under high pressure. The severe potential just doesn't get realised.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Too far east lol, I see how why they would have been severe for us if these were in the UK. Better look next time : P

Been waiting nearly 3 years now I think storms avoid my like the plague LMAO 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, poseidon said:

2015-2017 seems to be following the same pattern around this way, we have very hot periods with extreme cape etc but with impossible to break capping, under high pressure. The severe potential just doesn't get realised.

But just imagine what it will be like on the one day it does! :clapping: