Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
2 minutes ago, Davethedog said:

There's no better place to be than the Hull area tonight, and that's not something I'd often say.

Oooh goody!!! Let's hope for the best then! I will be so gutted if nothing happens lol

Posted

At least with all this happening so painfully slow, when it finally does all go bang, the sun should be setting and we should see night-time lightning!!  I saw those big manchester storms a few years back from leeds!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Working tonight. However, these storms are zipping past at a rate of knots, so chasing them would be a nightmare! Don't think you'd have a successful one without bending some of the rules with speed limits!! Be careful, those who catch a lucky one, some big hail likely, which was estofex' main concern. 

See, patience is a virtue folks! It's a waiting game half the time. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

At least with all this happening so painfully slow, when it finally does all go bang, the sun should be setting and we should see night-time lightning!!  I saw those big manchester storms a few years back from leeds!

Me too right over pennies

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Working tonight. However, these storms are zipping past at a rate of knots, so chasing them would be a nightmare! Don't think you'd have a successful one without bending some of the rules with speed limits!! Be careful, those who catch a lucky one, some big hail likely, which was estofex' main concern. 

See, patience is a virtue folks! It's a waiting game half the time. 

Anyone planning on chasing, be prepared to put yer foot down. These mothers arent hanging around.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well netweather radar has one going straight for me while my detector is having none of it and just sees the one over wales.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Sky to my West. With a few spots just starting..

20170621_191114_Richtone(HDR).thumb.jpg.3363b9404f16967a44d6c6f1368a1083.jpg

20170621_190836_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dan the Man said:

I know its not completely relevant to this thread (UK bias), but I see an ESTOFEX Level 3 is presumed to be "eventual" across Germany and Central Europe...

This extended forecast was issued to highlight a risk for a possible severe weather outbreak over CNTRL Europe including tornadoes, very large hail, damaging wind gusts and excessive precipitation.

Stay safe if anyone is over there.

There's been supercells and 4cm hail in Central Slovakia today, as well as damaging storms in Hungary. Nothing here to the west but a bit of bubbly convective cloud.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Anyone planning on chasing, be prepared to put yer foot down. These mothers arent hanging around.

Yet the clouds look like they are hardly moving. Lots of altocumulus castellanus around but they don't look as though they are zipping pass. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
27 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Keep the faith ... the evening is young :friends:

That's very true to be fair but it all seems to have gone to the east and nothing new is forming to the west of us yet though. My optimism is slowing spiralling but something could yet happen.

Posted

The storm heaving towards the airport is moving too NNW for me, however more precip is beginning to show towards Macclesfield which would put me in the firing line for those.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Yet the clouds look like they are hardly moving. Lots of altocumulus castellanus around but they don't look as though they are zipping pass. 

Agreed...look at the sky and there isnt much in the way of discernable movement. Once you look at the radar however you see them flying at high speed...most unusual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Already done two time-lapse today, now just waiting biting nails hoping to catch my first proper storm this season later tonight.

Good luck if your in the path or chasing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, lightning storms

Some very threatening looking clouds moving in from the west from Matlock way...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

Another picture of Altocumulus Cas, more widespread this time. Taken roughly 5 mins ago. Sorry for odd angle at which it was taken. 

IMG_20170621_191429.jpg