Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
33 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

I have a funny instinct that we could see some active thunderstorms very early tomorrow morning. 

These charts here just shout activity for me for us Southerners.

http://www.lightningwizard.com/maps/Europe/ani.html?0,gfs_,_eur21.png,cape,mucape,icape,layer,lfc,mulfc,el,icon10,omega,pvort,pvort2,difadv,kili,spout,lapse,lapse2,the700,thetae,mixr,mtv,gusts,stp,srh,srhl,pw,hail

I would be inclined to agree; but I'm no expert :D 
I've seen 11am storms a couple of times before in Salisbury, not intense but nice to see nevertheless; and cleared away any haze for a beautiful afternoon .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
Just now, Weatherman662 said:

Storms will probably form over here and then travel to the moderate risk areas 

There are meant to be several areas of initiation linked with the varying features of the setup. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine

I know they say it's " too cold to snow", but I think it's too cold to storm here. Only 16c today and not had a rumble yet this year. :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Those of you that are stormstarved,head over to here:D

Bill Kessler or Eugene Thieszen is on a cell producing frequent lightning

http://www.severestudios.com/livechase/

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted

Cape+LI still look impressive for the majority of England+Scotland on the GFS 18z. Though has moved west slightly. Shame about the cap .

Screenshot_20170620-224315.png

Screenshot_20170620-224321.png

Screenshot_20170620-224327.png

Edited by Weatherman662

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

In my years of model watching, I have never ever seen UK CAPE and LI values showing this at 24 hrs out

ukcapeli.png

I know these parameters mean little in isolation but my word, if something does initiate it'll have untold amounts of energy to draw from

Under -11 LI and nothing to trigger them :nonono: I am having 2012 flashbacks, stuck under clear blue skies with temps in the low 30s. 

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

In my years of model watching, I have never ever seen UK CAPE and LI values showing this at 24 hrs out

ukcapeli.png

I know these parameters mean little in isolation but my word, if something does initiate it'll have untold amounts of energy to draw from

Not to burst your bubble, however, as Dan mentioned in his convective forecast,  he believes that the GFS is over predicting Dew Point temperatures by 3/4 degrees. Thus over predicting CAPE values. The various convective forecasts are mentioning 2000 to 2500 (Still a lot). 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Not only that but GFS gives us another potential thunderstorm event on Thursday too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

Cloudy and much cooler here now. 13.3 :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

15C but feels about 22C with the humidity. Praying for those down south with the heat tonight. 

Anyone know approximately when storms will break out in Scotland? I'm not sure what time to wake up for them. 

Posted

Met Office forecast has the storms breaking out a good 9 hours ahead of the models predictions, past the highest CAPE values with initiation at 10pm, whilst everywhere else it's looking like initiation begins around 1pm. I was assuming this was a afternoon event?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and anything unusual

I don't know what to expect from this event at all. Everything about it just seems so uncertain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

For those feeling downhearted, check out this video from Ireland in last few mins 

Edited by StormChaseUK
  • Like 6

Posted

Gav has a good video up (posted 5hr ago) on tomorrow's potential, and the chart analysis.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, StormChaseUK said:

For those feeling downhearted, check out this video from Ireland in last few mins 

Hopefully we'll see scenes like that Wednesday night

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Increasing sferics north of Lancaster. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Temps a lot lower than by a good 5c and feeling quite fresh here.  Local forecast still saying dry yet with a warning for heavy rain. Doh.

Posted

Just been woken by a thunderstorm in Durham! Worst of it looks like it's passing to the north on radar. 

Met office text forecast is also pretty good! 

Today:

Warmer and feeling humid with some thundery showers possible through the morning. Probably drier for a time through the early afternoon with sunny spells, before a further risk of thunderstorms developing again from late afternoon, these potentially severe. Maximum Temperature 23 °C.

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Again looks very un inspiring this morning. The storms currently up north are the first thing this week to have more than 2 high res models predict something in that area. 

A massive blanket of cloud also this morning rubbing salt in the wound. 

Called blank Monday and Tuesday, while I think today has the higher possibility, I think many will be disappointed come later today. It's just not the right setup for storms. 

Again, you can have the best look charts in the world, but if you can't get any ignition to fire up the storms then it's wasted. PLUS I don't think some realise that if a storm does bed itself within that kind of atmosphere and manages to break through, it would potentially be life threatening with that kind of energy to tap into. A very rare and unprepared thing to have in this country. Although would be quite spectacular though if anything occurs that is of course if you are a storm nut. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
24 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Again looks very un inspiring this morning. The storms currently up north are the first thing this week to have more than 2 high res models predict something in that area. 

A massive blanket of cloud also this morning rubbing salt in the wound. 

Called blank Monday and Tuesday, while I think today has the higher possibility, I think many will be disappointed come later today. It's just not the right setup for storms. 

Again, you can have the best look charts in the world, but if you can't get any ignition to fire up the storms then it's wasted. PLUS I don't think some realise that if a storm does bed itself within that kind of atmosphere and manages to break through, it would potentially be life threatening with that kind of energy to tap into. A very rare and unprepared thing to have in this country. Although would be quite spectacular though if anything occurs that is of course if you are a storm nut. 

And what's wrong with a life threatening storm or two? :clapping:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Just awoken by window rattling thunder and torrential rain. Lurvely! 

• Like 5