Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes i remember that one well,i was sat right on the edge of it on woodhead pass and was looking strait above me,i did have a sure neck after a while,i had my camera on me but the battery had died of death and was really guttered that i did not capture this beauty,i am glad some other folk including you got this footage:D

oh!!!,i forgot to mention that i booked that day off on the afters shift to attend a funeral that morning,at least i got to whitness the storm.

That was visible from Sheffield too

Posted
9 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

In regards to the posts about supercells, only a couple really stand out over the past few years

28th June 2012 being the recent benchmark for UK storm activity 

and July 1st 2015 which saw large hail over North Yorkshire

I remember the storm in the summer of 1999  by far the best I've seen  tornados galore 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
13 minutes ago, Cableguy said:

Was there anything ever forecast?? Don't think so, South due to miss out entirely this week.

What do you mean was anything ever forecast? Plenty was forecast  it was just a case of whether we would overcome the cap.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

And our own NW storm risk for my area tomorrow afternoon/evening,nom! nom!:D

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=2;ct=S73~S73;sess=

and i have just watched paul hudson's forecast on look north and he says there is going to be some biggies tomorrow night,i hope they don't come too late as i am up at 5am thu's morning,now,do i get some early sleep and miss out on the evening storms if any and get up at say 12 midnight or do i sit it out later tomorrow evening/night and have less sleep,i guess i will have to wait and see what tomorrow is looking like when i come in,i would guess that i will not be getting much sleep tomorrow night:nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Weather I saw after the news said the word 'Thunderstorm' This was after saying it could be 34c + tomorrow and the radar showing nothing for me as per bloody usual. *picks up toys*

Posted

Cell going up in S/mid Wales again.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

And our own NW storm risk for my area tomorrow afternoon/evening,nom! nom!:D

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=2;ct=S73~S73;sess=

and i have just watched paul hudson's forecast on look north and he says there is going to be some biggies tomorrow night,i hope they don't come too late as i am up at 5am thu's morning,now,do i get some early sleep and miss out on the evening storms if any and get up at say 12 midnight or do i sit it out later tomorrow evening/night and have less sleep,i guess i will have to wait and see what tomorrow is looking like when i come in,i would guess that i will not be getting much sleep tomorrow night:nea:

Now it's a bust. Not expecting much here as Storms from the west are even less likely and are normally just forming as they pass over us. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather
24 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Fairness is giving us the storms up here since we've seen zero heat whatsoever! 

Eh!!! You kiddin' me? Its been horrible here with heat and humidity. BBC forecast is showing thunderstorms for Scotland (particularly my neck of the woods :yahoo:). About time too.

Edit: what a memory iv'e got! i was looking at the met office not bbc.

Edited by Squall

Posted
30 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

In regards to the posts about supercells, only a couple really stand out over the past few years

28th June 2012 being the recent benchmark for UK storm activity 

and July 1st 2015 which saw large hail over North Yorkshire

1st july 2015 that night was a night to remember. We moved in that day and it was boiling must of been nearly 30 in daytime. Soon as 11.30pm 12.00 arrived it all kicked off continuos storm activity all night 

Posted
8 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Now it's a bust. Not expecting much here as Storms from the west are even less likely and are normally just forming as they pass over us. 

How do you know that when it hasn't even happened yet?

and is the storms coming in from the west?,cold front,yes

but just to ask anyone,what is the direction that the storms will be moving,i would think on a NE trajectory.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

Just look at the rate of storm development in France on sat24, some large CBs erupting out of a clear sky and not within hours but within 'A' hour of one another.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Stephanie Starr said:

1st july 2015 that night was a night to remember. We moved in that day and it was boiling must of been nearly 30 in daytime. Soon as 11.30pm 12.00 arrived it all kicked off continuos storm activity all night 

This sounds nearly like an unforgettable experience I had when I was younger....   (Get ready for a hastily typed out story folks!)

End of June, 1996. Moved to a village just outside Salisbury. Wall to wall blue skies, 30 degree day, hardly a breath of wind; so we had an impromptu house warming BBQ.  Wall of cloud forms in the distance to the east, thunderstorm quickly builds and heads towards us. Black as the ace of spades and you could hear the thunder and feel the gust front as it approached. Luckily we had already finished the BBQ; but we hadn't even had a chance to unpack before the thunderstorm rolled over just after the sun had set; and then the power went out. Everything in boxes still; half the stuff still in the removal van; and couldn't find the torches to save out lives. No blinds were up so the Incredibly frequent lightning; nearly strobe lightning at times, illuminated the entire house. Could hardly hear ourselves think for the noise of the thunder overhead. Large hail too (that actually shattered greenhouses across eastern salisbury) and torrential rain causing a torrent down our garden and flooding the patio. Ended up all sleeping on two bare mattress and bedding just led on the floor of the living room as couldn't see to put the beds up and halving to cope with the lightning continuously illuminating the room through our hastily put up "sheet curtains". At 1am woken up by a collosal noise; never heard anything close to it in my entire life; which was the manor house opposite being struck by a huge bolt of lightning. Turned out the next day that the chimney in a top floor bedroom had been struck and collapsed into a bedroom, and that a relative of the manor house owners staying in that bedroom had nearly died in hospital from his injuries :s  Was a terrifyingly bonkers experience and it lasted nearly all the night before subduing around 3/4am. Patio was still flooded come 8am in the morning. 

.....Guess that's what sparked my interest in the weather thinking about it!

Edited by Rob Walker
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
43 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

What do you mean was anything ever forecast? Plenty was forecast  it was just a case of whether we would overcome the cap.

the potential for storms was forecast, not 'plenty was forecast'.....mid-level capping again has been stubborn to strong for updrafts to penetrate.....still the outside chance of a rogue shower to form, but then eyes turn to tomorrow to see if all this potential energy can be realised (and there's no certainty of that either)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
4 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Well I've just read the synopsis on UKWW as regards tomorrow - and they know what they are talking about - and from the sounds of it anything tomorrow will be Peak District northwards - so the southern half of the UK can kiss goodbye to anything convective this month.

Frankly ridiculous.

I mean how hot does it need to be and for how ****ing long to get just one poxy storm down here :wallbash:

I know, right? All this potential energy and buildup, then it just happens further north. I just can't win sometimes...

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Well I've just read the synopsis on UKWW as regards tomorrow - and they know what they are talking about - and from the sounds of it anything tomorrow will be Peak District northwards - so the southern half of the UK can kiss goodbye to anything convective this month.

Frankly ridiculous.

I mean how hot does it need to be and for how ****ing long to get just one poxy storm down here :wallbash:

Sorry but this is just plain incorrect, with low pressure close by the UK (as progged over the coming days/week or two) there will be plenty of convective episodes , and no need for the language!......Didn't you have some cracking storms last month?...I'm sure I can remember you posting about them?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Come on guys, it's been a good day of discussion on here. Are we really going for the toy throwing already? Tomorrow is a very conditional threat and it hasn't even occurred yet.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Come on guys, it's been a good day of discussion on here. Are we really going for the toy throwing already? Tomorrow is a very conditional threat and it hasn't even occurred yet.

Rest assured tho Nick ...... we'll get bu**er all behind the Chilterns Barrier! :-(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, > mark said:

Rest assured tho Nick ...... we'll get bu**er all behind the Chilterns Barrier! :-(

I'm not really expecting anything down here but you can't rule anything out.

Posted
12 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

the potential for storms was forecast, not 'plenty was forecast'.....mid-level capping again has been stubborn to strong for updrafts to penetrate.....still the outside chance of a rogue shower to form, but then eyes turn to tomorrow to see if all this potential energy can be realised (and there's no certainty of that either)

Sorry I should have been more clear, I meant "plenty" as in what could have happened, apologies.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Going by 500hpa contours, the motion of the storms are likely to be heading ENE to perhaps directly East if a bit of right movement takes place. This isn't a normal SSW-NNE episode looking at the charts. Let's just wait and see before discounting anything! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, IMP757 said:

Interesting...

1.png

2.png

Hopefully Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire will get some good ones with looking at this chart. Would be great if they were in the middle of the night whilst it's dark 

Posted
Just now, IMP757 said:

Interesting...

1.png

2.png

Euro4 predicting the same, maybe a little further north.

EURO4.gif

• Like 1