Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Just grey and miserable now, some more drops of rain. Will have to wait a few weeks longer (failing that. Holland...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I wouldn't say anything close to golf ball or supercell style by any means. I would say somewhere around 5p maybe a few up to 10p max. It only hailed during the blast of winds/torrential rain so I heard a lot more than I saw (and I heard some very loud donks). 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stephanie Starr said:

Things look like they are getting stormy over Leicester 

Nothing electrical in any of the cells away from the SE at the moment. Even the intense cell over Lincs isn't chucking out any sferics (yet). That passed through here earlier and skies went ominously dark and the rain was torrential.....but no thunder. Conditions not as ripe for thunderstorms unless you're in the SE today :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 03 Jun 2017 - 05:59 UTC Sun 04 Jun 2017

ISSUED 17:45 UTC Fri 02 Jun 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Atlantic upper trough will swing NE-wards across the British Isles on Saturday, accompanied by cooling aloft helping to steepen lapse rates and generate a few hundred Jkg-1 CAPE in response to SSTs/diurnal heating inland. Scattered showers will develop during the day across many parts of Scotland, Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, orchestrated into bands with the aid of showery occlusions moving through in the flow. Showers will tend to be more isolated across England and Wales given drier profiles. There will be a broad but fairly low risk of lightning in any one location, hence the large LOW threat level issued. Slightly better instability will be present in parts of Scotland, where a (reluctant) low-end SLGT has been issued - but concerns exist over lack of any notable wind shear to help organisation (best wind shear will be in the morning, so not in phase with best instability later in the day), and perhaps cloudiness proving an issue too from occlusion debris. Nonetheless, should a stronger cell develop then hail 1.5-2.0cm in diameter would be possible locally. Given slack flow and elements of low-level convergence, a brief funnel or weak tornado would also be possible with this activity.

Residual (relatively) high dewpoint air will reside over East Anglia / eastern England on Saturday morning, perhaps providing enough moisture when combined with wind convergence near the east coast for a few isolated heavy showers - but this risk appears to diminish through the afternoon as surface airmass dries out and wind convergence migrates offshore.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-06-03

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
30 minutes ago, Harry said:

Alas, due to my absurd difficulties I've snapped three images from my video until I can get into line.

First two are CGs (although I cannot fathom why the second pic, which was so close, only seems to have captured the bottom half of the bolt) while the third is in the midst of what I felt was a downburst.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Nice work bud - great captures!
The second pic with half of the stroke is down to the rolling shutter on the camera.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Well I never, just as I pull up, the sky is looking mean, and a big shower is developing! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Harry said:

OMG. Just had a downburst of some sort. Brief total white out (about 30 seconds), leaves flying around, large hail and frequent CGs. Incredible.

Definitely falls under the heading of severe!!!

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Still raining but clearing through now thunder/lightning still ongoing. Gorgeous anvil visible on the back side.

Anyone on the receiving end do be prepared for severe thunderstorm conditions.

Going to be a good year I reckon. 1997-esque!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
4 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Well I never, just as I pull up, the sky is looking mean, and a big shower is developing! 

Doubt there will be anything electrical now though looking at the detectors.

Main trigger for activation has moved way east now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Finally some rain here.

It is wet. 

Posted
31 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

Doubt there will be anything electrical now though looking at the detectors.

Main trigger for activation has moved way east now.

Stranger things have happened! Looks to be intensifying! 

19 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Stranger things have happened! Looks to be intensifying! 

You seem to be under, or going to be under, a rather large isolated cell. The rest of us are stuck with a boring overcast sky (for now anyways)!

Capture.JPG

Extremely loud shotgun thunder out of nowhere

Edited by LimoPreacherman
Just heard thunder!

Posted
11 minutes ago, LimoPreacherman said:

You seem to be under, or going to be under, a rather large isolated cell. The rest of us are stuck with a boring overcast sky (for now anyways)!

Capture.JPG

Extremely loud shotgun thunder out of nowhere

Was going to say, still sferics popping off over the Suffolk coast! 

Large raindrops coming down here. Peterborough east is bone dry, the west is getting hammered! 

Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Was going to say, still sferics popping off over the Suffolk coast! 

Large raindrops coming down here. Peterborough east is bone dry, the west is getting hammered! 

Sounds fun! Hopeful you'll get a show....

Posted

Four Strikes showing between Nottingham and Newark and south of Leicester according to lightningmaps

Edited by OddSpot

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Nice work bud - great captures!
The second pic with half of the stroke is down to the rolling shutter on the camera.

Cheers mate, that's good to know (even if a bit frustrating it cut that one off)

Posted
1 hour ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Going to be a good year I reckon. 1997-esque!

Fingers crossed!! If we can get the atmospheric conditions right, seems that it could be rife for some highly electrified storms. Let's just hope this isn't now going to be a westerly Atlantic dominated drab fest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Fingers crossed!! If we can get the atmospheric conditions right, seems that it could be rife for some highly electrified storms. Let's just hope this isn't now going to be a westerly Atlantic dominated drab fest.

What's the prognosis, I haven't really looked?  I seem to remember a Classic British summer being exactly how it is now.  Thundery, Thundery and warm and moist!

Edited by Robbie Garrett
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and showery airflows
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hopefully not..Years ago I seem to remember hearing BBC weather presenters saying things like ''But there could well be some thunderstorms moving up from France'' Used to love hearing that!!   But for the last 10years or so I've noticed that summer storms moving  through France heading North seem to veer North-Eastwards mid channel,thereby missing Brighton where I live out of the firing line...Any ideas as to why we don't seem to get those beefy South -North storms any more? They seemed to track along the meridian and then up the spine of the UK. Sadly not any more...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Been having a bit of a downpour here from a very big shower that seems to have intensified a little over Central West Midlands. But it's not enough to terminate the Super Solid Solihull Storm Shield!

Well done to anyone who has caught a flashy storm today, though!

• Like 1

Posted

No photos from me this time. A shame as it started in Croydon, which is coincidentally where i live. But by the time i was ready i'd missed it and would have to head east on the M25 during the peak.

Next time.

Edited by Steve Shears