Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Nothing in Norfolk bar some moderate rain. Normal for Norfolk.....

Anyone nr Diss/ Dickleburgh? Something seems to have popped up there but as yet the Australian Sheperd warning system is silent...

I'm hearing a few distant rumbles here in Mulbarton, though it seems to have faded.

Is anyone seeing a hook echo over South London on NW radar?:cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
8 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

The skies over your way look really dark from here, and I think we are hearing the odd rumble too. As you say, we got the downpour and a few rumbles (I think!) passing through earlier, so hoping the storms are building back in the way you mentioned. 

The storm earlier seemed quite small when it first started but as it moved off it seemed much larger and it was as it was moving off the thunder and lightning started . I was caught out by it I was returning from swimming with the kids. In just our t shirts . We took refuse under KFC so was watching it move off . I tried to upload the photos I took but the files are too big . The storm close to me seems to be moving away although for a while it looked like it was coming staight towards us .

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Nice line of storms to SW about to run over Chez Moi near Croydon, frequent thunder rumbling now to the south.

1610.PNG

Best / Worst Hailstorm in my life ever (60yrs). Got video. and pics too

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'm hearing a few distant rumbles here in Mulbarton, though it seems to have faded.

Is anyone seeing a hook echo over South London on NW radar?:cc_confused:

Looks like a spanner to me :D

Doesn't look like we'll get any more than the dreaded thundery rain, it's a lot cooler already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

OMG. Just had a downburst of some sort. Brief total white out (about 30 seconds), leaves flying around, large hail and frequent CGs. Incredible.

Definitely falls under the heading of severe!!!

Edited by Harry
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Just heard a couple more very distamt rumbles. Also, do you see that small dry area at the bottom of Essex on the radar? Guess who's in that area!

Posted

yep.. storm quite intense here at the mo... shame its daylight, lightning would of looked great

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Still waiting here near wroxham. I see Sutton is getting hammered atm. Seems to be my usual luck! 

Posted

Still raining but clearing through now thunder/lightning still ongoing. Gorgeous anvil visible on the back side.

Anyone on the receiving end do be prepared for severe thunderstorm conditions.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
47 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's not a feature of Android, it's built in to the forum software. If your browser isn't rendering it, then your browser is to blame.

This is bizarre, I don't have any option to add any attachments nor delete any attachments? The only way to do it is by uploading a photo to postimg or some other image website and then attaching the LINK. 

Can everyone else attach photos straight from their PC/Phone without having to upload them to an internet link first? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

New strike near cobham possibly from a new cell firing .

Posted
9 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Doesn't look like we'll get any more than the dreaded thundery rain, it's a lot cooler already.

It seems to have picked-up again; more thunder heard to my south-east.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

"Click to choose files"

Screenshot_2017-06-02-13-58-15.thumb.png.c7899010bd1d7c2890c2664d37132262.png

I don't have your "click to choose files" option on my Iphone, Chrome or Firefox. WTF?! 

Did a moderator or admin do this? I was given a warning point and can't even access another area of netweather community, thanks to a certain moderator I won't name who merely disagreed with me over something two years ago. Could this be the case? 

Posted

Marvellous storm just passed over Biggin Hill, constant CG lightning and what appeared to be a possible small microburst on the tail edge of the cell (large ball of rain sudden dropping and fanning out so I'm going to make the assumption) 

Posted

Louder thunder just now.  It's pretty unimpressive on radar, but producing quite a few strikes given how small and weak it appears, though nothing like what's happening further south west.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

All the blinkin way in Lowestoft. But it looks like it may be worth it! 

image.jpeg

I'd say anywhere from there down to Aldeborough would be the preferred area.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Just heard closest rumble so far today. Think the edge of the South London cell might hit me. 

In fact, the rumbles are almost constant! 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Freezeflake said:

Marvellous storm just passed over Biggin Hill, constant CG lightning and what appeared to be a possible small microburst on the tail edge of the cell (large ball of rain sudden dropping and fanning out so I'm going to make the assumption) 

What direction was the microburst @Freezeflake? We had something here remarkably like one, sudden strong winds and intense rain and hail. Lasted about 30 seconds. I recorded the storm, just sitting down to see what it has come out like 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Pretty decent 2 hrs  here in SE London.Some pretty tasty thunder and lightning.The cell that is just departing NE produced some shotgun thunder at times and vivid lightning.

Rainfall rates causing local flooding too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

What direction was the microburst @Freezeflake? We had something here remarkably like one, sudden strong winds and intense rain and hail. Lasted about 30 seconds. I recorded the storm, just sitting down to see what it has come out like 

You've had the same storm I experienced a short while ago. I was in the bath, but saw a few flashes through the frosted glass that lit up the room. Very, very loud popping and shotgun thunder, almost immediately. It came right overhead. Stunning to listen to. One of the cracks was so loud it actually made me jump, which I haven't done since I was a child and scared of storms back then. Also had that extreme downdraft you spoke of, actually had two of them about two minutes apart. As you say, to anyone in its path this is a very powerful storm. Please keep safe.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Some absolutely corking CGs dropping from this one, managed to get my little one to sleep so I've actually been able to film some of it! Some serious height tops in the back edge of it too. I would so love to have a bit more after nightfall but I think I've probably been quite lucky today as it is, we've caught about four or five cells as they've passed through.

Edited by Team Jo
Typos...
  • Like 2