Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Am I the only one here who loves drizzle?

Posted

We've just had a heat wave, followed by storms. Now the air is much much cooler, and there is a blanket of thick stratus hanging over the hills with drizzle falling intermittently. And I love it.

The fine mist falling brings out the subtle and delicate smells of the new plant growth, and walking in the nearby woods you can see how thoroughly it covers every leaf, blade of grass and flower with fine droplets as well as fine rivulets running along some sections of the wood. The drizzle is not constant, and I love how its intensities vary as it comes and goes, with curtains of droplets that fall and often with tiny droplets dancing through the air as though they were in brownian-motion. I like the ambience it creates, the light winds and the stillness associated with it. It has a comfy quality, whether you choose to walk in it or observe it from outside whilst sitting by a fire reading. I've never seen the fields look so green when it comes and is prolonged.

Come, join my Drizzle Cult. I don't want to be the only member....

:crazy:

Edited by PersianPaladin
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I don't mind it at all and something of a regular visitor here at my location.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

No, you're not alone. I like drizzle and, as PM says, it occurs quite frequently here.( including today). I also like rain and fog which, fortunately for me, also occur frequently here. Mind you I'm not averse to a few fine days so that I can get out on my bike,or get the outdoor jobs done without getting soaked.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

Drizzle is my fave precip after snow!  Sadly though at least in my location in Lancashire, drizzle has become much rarer since 2012.

Edited by Lettucing Gutted
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Yes, love drizzle and any kind of rain really.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

11 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Yes , please go away .......................................

:rofl:

:sorry: :pardon:

Edited by simshady
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Lettucing Gutted said:

Drizzle is my fave precip after snow!  Sadly though at least in my location in Lancashire, drizzle has become much rarer since 2012.

It's not particularly frequent here in Durham these days either. My favourite synoptic though is in spring and summer, and also in early autumn when the North Sea blows in low cloud and varying intensities of drizzle throughout a day. But this requires particular synoptics that aren't as frequent as I'd like them to be. Interestingly, I recall the days of sea fret and "haar" being fewer these days compared to a few years ago, when haar would penetrate 15 miles inland and bring an atmospheric change from hot weather to misty cool weather in the afternoon. Not seen that for a long time, and that may perhaps be as a result of large-scale increases in sea temperatures. To have a hot day interrupted by drizzle would be an atmospheric dream for me considering that I'm not right on the coast.

• Like 1

Posted

In my opinion, we didn't have a heatwave, just a couple of days of above average temps, and now a return to a cool unsettled regime, nothing to be joyful about.

If we get 1 to 2 weeks of above average temps I may get excited.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Weather topic, so knew it wouldn't be started by HBK4984!

drizzle not too bad, prefer it to heavy frontal rain, if rain is forecast, I do end up thinking, 'hope it's only drizzle'

• Like 1

Posted

I can't remember the last time I saw "real" drizzle here. You usually have to be on the coast or in the hills these days. I assume it's something to do with cleaner air & the droplets having no smoke particles to form on?

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, PersianPaladin said:

Come, join my Drizzle Cult. I don't want to be the only member....

:crazy:

Love drizzle? Clearly don't have midges around your way. :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

i like it when it is accompanied by mist and darkness and everything looks barren and miserable.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i like it when it is accompanied by mist and darkness and everything looks barren and miserable.

You would've loved it here today then..

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

You would've loved it here today then..

they should declare drizzle days and everyone can have it off

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
10 hours ago, davehsug said:

I can't remember the last time I saw "real" drizzle here. You usually have to be on the coast or in the hills these days. I assume it's something to do with cleaner air & the droplets having no smoke particles to form on?

I think the main reason for the lack of drizzle is the lack of moist but cool and stable easterly and northerly  synoptics.  Another drizzle and mist maker for southwest facing coasts in the UK is the Maritime Tropical southwesterly but event this setup doesn't deliver drizzle like it use to due to warm SSTs combined with increased cyclonicity which increase vertical mixing and reduces low stratus formations necessary for drizzle.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Id much prefer snizzle to drizzle. A very cold raw cloudy day with a bit of snizzle about  is something i dont mind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Whilst the smell of petrichor is quite pleasant at this time of year after it has rained I do find it baffling why after 7 months of showers,cold,rain,snow,ice,cold,wind,cold,very windy ,cold  the 'dreaded' 3 days of sunny days above 25 deg anyone would wish for 'Drizzle' ???

Posted

I like it sometimes, especially on wet Autumn/winter days where it's cosy to be indoors and is not very nice outside anyway. Can be nice to see the curtains sweeping over the landscape in a front/storm, or gently falling.

Can be quite nice to drive through the drizzle and hill/coastal fog too.. call me mad :crazy:

In summer though I probably wouldn't want it too much, it's fine on what would be a naff day anyway, though with multiple rubbish days in a row, or days that were forecast to be decent or ones where other nearby areas are sunny and warm, I wouldn't normally welcome it.

This morning we had some at breakfast time which I didn't mind, but it's still disappointingly dull now.

21 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Whilst the smell of petrichor is quite pleasant at this time of year after it has rained I do find it baffling why after 7 months of showers,cold,rain,snow,ice,cold,wind,cold,very windy ,cold  the 'dreaded' 3 days of sunny days above 25 deg anyone would wish for 'Drizzle' ???

Not really a case of 'wishing' for it for me, rather accepting that my first preferences for weather usually won't be happening, so appreciating some of what is happening rather than moaning all the time (not directed at you).

Posted

True drizzle isn't so bad because it doesn't really feel like rain; the stuff one stage above drizzle is really soul-sapping though.

And any form of frontal rainfall can stay away unti October as far as I'm concerned. Thankfully that hasn't been an issue here since the weather turned warm.

Edited by AderynCoch

Just now, AderynCoch said:

True drizzle isn't so bad because it doesn't really feel like rain; the stuff one stage above drizzle is really soul-sapping though.

And any form of frontal rainfall can stay away unti October as far as I'm concerned. Thankfully any rainfall here in recent weeks has been convective and thundery.

Don't think Ted fujita devised a drizzle scale :cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Don't think Ted fujita devised a drizzle scale :cc_confused:

i had a spicy fujita for dinner