Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England & Wales Thunderstorms 27-29/05/1999

MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I started a thread some years ago about this spell of thunderstorms which stands out in my memory as one of the best I've ever witnessed. As we have, this year, another spell of thunderstorms arriving on the same dates, I thought I'd share this interesting paper from the Journal of Meteorology, including accounts of the thunderstorms that raged across  the south on the 27th, then the daytime darkness than came from a thunder squall line on the 29th.

http://www.ijmet.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/241.pdf 

May 1999 was quite a thundery month nationwide, and in this area too, but this spell was by far the best of the year in my location.

• 8 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Just scrolling through this part of the forum and found this post. I remember this well - I had broken up from school to do my GCSEs, it was boiling and I got sunburnt. The storm that night was the best one I had ever witnessed! I even saw ball lightning. The electric storms blew the power out in my local town and everything closed early. I got home alate evening and sat in my window all night to watch the storm, truly incredible.