Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The grim prospect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

The evolution of pathogens is making many medical problems worse. Time to take drug resistance seriously

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21699115-evolution-pathogens-making-many-medical-problems-worse-time-take-drug-resistance?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/

I think I wrote letters to the Inverness Courier, along the same lines, some twenty-years' back, Malcolm? In those days, it was MRSA (I think even David Cameron said something about it?)...Will those that have the power take a blind bit of notice, now? I doubt it! Under the rug, it is?:bomb:

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think I wrote letters to the Inverness Courier, along the same lines, some twenty-years' back, Malcolm? In those days, it was MRSA (I think even David Cameron said something about it?)...Will those that have the power take a blind bit of notice, now? I doubt it! Under the rug, it is?:bomb:

What would you propose to stop pathogens evolving.
The more you do to fight resistance the stronger they become.

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, 4wd said:

What would you propose to stop pathogens evolving.
The more you do to fight resistance the stronger they become.

Good question, 4wd - what do we do? But, IMO, too many people have taken antibiotics for no reason at all (just in case they might get an infection) and for far too long? I have refused them for 25 years and I'm still here...?

But now I'm going to say something that might seem to be (though it is from experience) at variance with what I normally say: EU peeps seem to think that antibiotics will cure everything, even the common cold...

Cobblers. The common cold is a virus!

Posted

That's a very simplistic view.
You won't get prescribed antibiotics for a cold but you might for complications following it - which canbe very hazardous to anyone with an already compromised immune system or other health problems.

Bacteria consantly evolve and can share resistance DNA without us doing anything 'wrong'.
Every time they are used, resistant variations will multiply into the free space created.
Using antibitics at all sows the seed of resistance and eventual failure.
There is no easy answer, because riskily witholding treatment is not going to happen.