Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Recommended camera gear??

Posted

Hi ladies and gents,

im trying to sort my camera gear that I will be taking, but unsure of what lenses to take... so for any photography people, please advise??

i have: 

canon eos 70d

17-40mm elf f.4 lens

10-18mm wide angle f4.5

50mm prime FI.8

60mm efs f2.8 macro (great for close up down day shots?)

tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3

all with polarisers and three with adjustable nd filters...

gopro hero 5 (for wearing on chasing)

question is, what lenses shall I bring out of the above?? 

Thanks in in advance for any advice 

james 

Posted

18-200 for a general walkabout lense

10-18mm for wide angle 

are the two that would say definitely need.  50mm 1.8 prime is always a good solid lens to have.  Can't see much need for the 17-40 or 60mm.

Might want to rent or buy something a bit longer as well, even on with your camera being an  APSC  you might find the 18-200 a bit short; something like a 70-300 or a 100-400.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Sardonixs said:

18-200 for a general walkabout lense

10-18mm for wide angle 

are the two that would say definitely need.  50mm 1.8 prime is always a good solid lens to have.  Can't see much need for the 17-40 or 60mm.

Might want to rent or buy something a bit longer as well, even on with your camera being an  APSC  you might find the 18-200 a bit short; something like a 70-300 or a 100-400.

Cheers for the advice, that's a pity with the 17-40 as that's a brand new l series lens I bought specifically for this trip, now I'm wondering if I have made the right choice... I also have a Samyang f2.8 14mm ultra wide fully manual lens, and the longest in my possession is a 55-250 

Posted
8 minutes ago, James 'Jamie C' Croucher said:

Cheers for the advice, that's a pity with the 17-40 as that's a brand new l series lens I bought specifically for this trip, now I'm wondering if I have made the right choice... I also have a Samyang f2.8 14mm ultra wide fully manual lens, and the longest in my possession is a 55-250 

Nothing wrong with it and take it if you have room, but the 50mm is a faster and the 10-18 is wider if it was a faster lens like a 2.8 I would say take it instead of the 10-18mm.  I would take the 55-250, nothing worse than wishing you had something longer, I know you could crop in  the 18-200 images  but with the sort of conditions your shooting in your ISO is going to be relatively high  and you don't want to be adding more noise to your images by cropping them too much in post. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Stu Short said:

I'm bringing a Canon 80D with a workhorse Tamron 18-270 and a Sigma 12-24, a Dead Kitten external mic and a bunch of filters. I'm hoping we'll get close enough so that I don't have to use the full extent of the Tamron :D 

That's my hope!! What tour are you on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

My advice is to go as wide and as fast as you can.  I don't think I ever used a long lens on a chase, and once the wind, dust, rain and hail start flying you don't want to be swapping lenses.

The 10-18 is a decent work horse, I'd be tempted to give the 17-40 a try out too for speed and image quality. You can always stitch shots together if needed..

Keep the 18-200 in the main bag for down day walk about use.

Enjoy the tour and don't forget to put the camera down and take it all in sometimes!

Ian

Posted

Ok, so that's the camera gear, what about tripods? I have a rather heavy but sturdy (also a tad bulky) red snapper tripod or shall I opt for a more lightweight mafrotto or similar?? I like the snapper as its sturdy whereas the lighter ones I tend to find flimsy, but  more worried about setting up, hence buying a GoPro too.... I'm so panicky about not getting some decent pictures.....