Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What would your ultimate poorest summer be like?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

If you could throw any month of summer from any past year together to make one single poor summer which months/years would you go for?

My ultimate poor summer would be:

June 2012 

July 2002

August 1993

June 2012 for obvious reasons,  July 2002 was very autumn like to start although there was slight improvement later on, August 1993 for its cool temperatures. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

1972 was pretty dire. I think I can remember it being only 11C during Wimbledon?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Summer 1976 from the reports I've read/heard about. Far too hot, far too dry.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Summer 1976 from the reports I've read/heard about. Far too hot, far too dry.

Summer 1976 was terrific! Yes it was hot, but rarely humid. Long days of temperatures around 30, but rarely uncomfortable. The only thing missing was thunderstorms, although the "dry" storms of the evening of 4th July, with thick bolts of pink, orange, green lightning, was an awesome sight, that I have never seen repeated and don't suppose I ever will

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

Anything with summer nights much above 10C and days above 20C is way too hot but I suppose my worst possible summer is one like Rajasthan's in the build up to the "summer" monsoon were nights are always near 35C and days on their way to 60C.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

May not look it, but this was an awful day, felt like January, around 12° and cloudy, don't want summer days like this

archives-2016-8-9-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Summer 1912 in Durham was pretty vile by the looks of it:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/stationdata/durhamdata.txt

Relative to the relatively conservative 1961-1990 period, sunshine was 46% of normal, rainfall 179% of normal and the mean max temperature was 2.4C below normal.  The temperature and sunshine stats would look even bleaker compared with more recent reference periods.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

2003 was pretty poor. 2006 not much better.

Recent years have been pretty good though.  Except for lizards

:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

According to Manchester summer index the worst is 1954 leaving 20012 and 2008 6th and 7th worst respectively,am not sure how far it goesback I forgot to look but I guess the last 100 years .About right just as I remember the latter two,dire,god only knows how poor 1954 must have been,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

Since I can't edit my original post, I'll post some extra stuff here.

From past CET months in my lifetime this is the worst summer for me:-

June 2003 16.1C

July 2006 19.7C

August 1995 19.2C

From past CET months before my lifetime this is the worst summer for me:-

June 1846 18.2C

July 1983 19.5C

August 1975 18.7C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

June 2012

July 2012 ,when you have to cut your lawn in wellies in July you know things are bad.

Aug  1997, warm ,muggy ,humid . The kind of weather i hate,was a good month for thunderstorms but not a summer month i liked at all overall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Yeah 2012 with endless rain, serious flooding for many...a really rotten summer overall.I quite enjoyed 1976 by the way and the thunderstorms that ended it were memorable.

Posted
1 hour ago, sundog said:

Aug  1997, warm ,muggy ,humid . The kind of weather i hate,was a good month for thunderstorms but not a summer month i liked at all overall.

Yes I wasn't a fan of this one. Joint warmest in England as August 1995 but much less sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer 1976 said:

Yes I wasn't a fan of this one. Joint warmest in England as August 1995 but much less sunshine.

Am I missing something here,you call yourself Summer 1976,quote on your profile May 1989 yet you don't like August 1997,what a lovely very warm and sunny month that was,the last great August  here !

Posted
15 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Am I missing something here,you call yourself Summer 1976,quote on your profile May 1989 yet you don't like August 1997,what a lovely very warm and sunny month that was,the last great August  here !

A lot of humid, thundery cloud here. Not my cup of tea. Whereas my profile and name are dusty dry very sunny months. Continental rather than tropical:hi:

Edited by Summer 1976
  • Like 1

Posted

June, July & Aug 2017........?   I hope i'm wrong but dry Aprils trigger a sense of foreboding in regard to the prospects of a nice dry Summer.

From recent memory, July 2008 was plain rubbish in the SW and i don't recall Aug being any better.  Jun 2007 - lots of intense rain but there was some nice sunshine in between at least.

Posted
7 minutes ago, swebby said:

June, July & Aug 2017........?   I hope i'm wrong but dry Aprils trigger a sense of foreboding in regard to the prospects of a nice dry Summer.

From recent memory, July 2008 was plain rubbish in the SW and i don't recall Aug being any better.  Jun 2007 - lots of intense rain but there was some nice sunshine in between at least.

Not strictly true but I know what you mean,some of the best summers also have good springs  and even early autumns,similarly the worst winters also have wintery autumns and springs !

Posted

From recent years - June-July 2012 followed by August 2014. Going back a bit further, I'd include July 1988. Just before summer...throw in the 2007 late spring bank holiday and you have a truly dire season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Pick from:

June 2016 / 2012 / 1991

July 2007 / 2012

August 1986 / 2007 / 2008 / 2010 / 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very similar to B87 for me.

June 2012 (closely followed by 2011) / July 2007 (closely followed by 2002) / August 2008 (closely followed by 2014).

June 2007 was saved by the first 12 days and exciting thundery period 15th-19th.

July 2008 and 2009 were saved by the heatwaves at the end and beginning respectively.

August 2006 and 2011 were both poor here but also quite dry so still usable. Equally, August 2012 was wet but was also warm, often sunny and very thundery, contrary to the previous two dull months.

Its interesting to note that August is rarely awful or amazing like June and July, just consistently rather devoid of interest and rather disappointing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Its interesting to note that August is rarely awful or amazing like June and July, just consistently rather devoid of interest and rather disappointing.

That's not the case here.  We've seen many appalling Augusts since 2006.

2007, 2008, 2010, 2011.

2014 and 2015 were poor, but not as bad as those four.  Every August since 2005 had been cloudier than normal (though Aug 2016 was only a few hours shy).

• Like 1