Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Synoptic charts don't always tell the story!

Posted

Just back from my twice yearly ferry trip to Santander on the North Spain coast. I've always been lucky with the weather and the charts suggested I would be okay again, after a possibly choppy start from Plymouth on Sunday afternoon. So it proved, the journey down was more "wobbly" than I'd been used to, but nothing more than a bit uncomfortable. The trip back yesterday though was, in a word hideous! From about 2 hours out, the wind & sea got up and it was decidedly rough. Barely able to move from the cabin & I was even sick! Made it to the bar to watch the football last night & there was virtually nobody there and I couldn't even face a beer. Calmed down by breakfast this morning and the trip back up the Channel to Portsmouth was smooth with clear blue skies.

Looking at the synoptic chart, you would never have believed that the weather could be so bad. I'm still scratching my head & I checked regulalrly on the ship, nothing more than a warm front, with the isobars seemingly fairly well spread. Beware would be mariners, the synoptic chart doesn't always tell the story, and the Bay of Biscay isn't known as the Bay of Storms for nothing!

Edited by davehsug
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, davehsug said:

Just back from my twice yearly ferry trip to Santander on the North Spain coast. I've always been lucky with the weather and the charts suggested I would be okay again, after a possibly choppy start from Plymouth on Sunday afternoon. So it proved, the journey down was more "wobbly" than I'd been used to, but nothing more than a bit uncomfortable. The trip back yesterday though was, in a word hideous! From about 2 hours out, the wind & sea got up and it was decidedly rough. Barely able to move from the cabin & I was even sick! Made it to the bar to watch the football last night & there was virtually nobody there and I couldn't even face a beer. Calmed down by breakfast this morning and the trip back up the Channel to Portsmouth was smooth with clear blue skies.

Looking at the synoptic chart, you would never have believed that the weather could be so bad. I'm still scratching my head & I checked regulalrly on the ship, nothing more than a warm front, with the isobars seemingly fairly well spread. Beware would be mariners, the synoptic chart doesn't always tell the story, and the Bay of Biscay isn't known as the Bay of Storms for nothing!

Ah the dreaded sea sickness. A couple of points Dave, I assume we are talking Monday and it's possible there may have been a bit of a squeeze as the low over southern England tracked south east,

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_1.thumb.png.d88a769ae26b3b61c4fc8865aedbda21.png

But the main point is that the sea state is not just dependent on locally wind generated waves but also swells which originate elsewhere Thus you can have quite a big sea running without it being very windy. And if this is beam on to the ship. typically a westerly sea/swell to a ship traveling north from Spain then a bit of rock and roll may ensue. It was not uncommon on the the old Ocean Weather Station Kilo, 45n 16w, for there to be no wind but still be a 20 foot swell running. Is that the sound of violins I hear?

EDIT

If we are talking Tuesday it can only have been swells generated by the depression in the Atlantic.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Ah Bissau. The sailors best friend I have always wanted to experience a storm there. Some of the videos look incredible.

Posted

It wasn't a full on storm I belive winds were force 7-8. The seas were very heavy though, it must have been a heavy swell as the worst only started once we hit the continental shelf. 

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a proper storm after that thanks!

Posted

I have had several hideous journeys in the Irish sea and not neccessarily associated with a depression. The worst journey I recall was on a catmaran that set out into a storm for some inexplicable reason(they don't usuallysail if rough weather is expected). we ended up lying on the floor and unable to dock for what seemed an eternity due to the wind.Bleurgh! I usually listen to the shipping forecast rather than look at the charts before sailing. Like you say, the sea state doesn't always match the weather

Posted

And of course to complicate matters the swell waves are very likely not from the same direction as the local wind driven which can lead to some interesting seas At the extreme end of the scale, normally further out in the ocean, this can lead to what is known as confused seas, which can make it difficult keeping a ship hove to.

• Like 1