Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

God it's so grim and dark this morning.

Hoping that the MET office forecast that says there will be sunshine later today actually comes true but they have been hopeless for forecasting cloud cover this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

God it's so grim and dark this morning.

Hoping that the MET office forecast that says there will be sunshine later today actually comes true but they have been hopeless for forecasting cloud cover this summer.

We haven't had much sunshine up here but fortunately they got the rain part of the forecast wrong as well with only a brief heavy shower and nothing more.

it certainly feels a lot cooler today though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
51 minutes ago, iand61 said:

We haven't had much sunshine up here but fortunately they got the rain part of the forecast wrong as well with only a brief heavy shower and nothing more.

it certainly feels a lot cooler today though.

Kiss of death with that one; peeing it down here now.

Posted

Not been on here much lately.. I think we're in that in between seasons lull - not really monitoring anything sunny, hot because we're in the last dregs of summer, and still too early to think about the colder weather yet.  Not looking too shabby for Bank Holiday but we'll be closer to the low pressure in the north west, so not straight forward by any stretch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Thought Bank Holiday Monday gave the impression that it was going to turn out the usual all-day cloudfest however the cloud broke to give a tolerable afternoon.  Only made it to about 21C which was a bit of a disappointment.  Water temp. in Pickmere was 20C.

DSC_3284.JPG

P8280494.JPG

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
Typos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A lovely sunny afternoon and quite warm, can't stand these warm calm nice though. Max 23.0°C, min last night 15.2°C.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A classic warm sector foehn effect/rain-shadow day here today. Dry and warm with occasional sunny glimpses. Max 22.5°C, currently 22.0°C. Looks like it will be a stupidly warm night tonight until the cold front passes. 

Posted

Plunged into autumn early this year, hence lack of posts I suspect. Recent Septembers have brought alot of late summery warmth and pleasantness, but not this year - the outlook looks positively autumnal. Today was very drab affair, cloudy this morning, low cloud and drizzle/light rain lunchtime, then moderate rain later. Another quick descent into dusk, lights on at half 7, curtains closed by 8pm.. oh dear.. 

Posted

Ah... the low pressure anchored to the north west, driving frequent self generating heavy showers in off the Irish Sea syndrome.  Yes folks, as a region we are well and truly screwed today.  Blazing sunshine to the south east.  Let's hope in the depths of winter we get a similar situation but heavy snow showers instead of rain.  Chance would be a fine thing.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Imby heavy showers this morning but I'm expecting another dry and very sunny afternoon like yesterday  unless another forcing mechanism comes into play. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
33 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Imby heavy showers this morning but I'm expecting another dry and very sunny afternoon like yesterday  unless another forcing mechanism comes into play. 

Yeah, same in Manchester.  Sunny now, I'm not hopeful of anything more severe than than intermittent drizzle from here on in

Posted
3 hours ago, Another Kent clipper said:

Yeah, same in Manchester.  Sunny now, I'm not hopeful of anything more severe than than intermittent drizzle from here on in

Just seen your post:  no reason why you shouldn't get lucky with showers, you are far enough inland. In fact there were a few sferics not far away from Manchester before.  You've probably got a chance till around 5ish.    

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Just seen your post:  no reason why you shouldn't get lucky with showers, you are far enough inland. In fact there were a few sferics not far away from Manchester before.  You've probably got a chance till around 5ish.    

I hope you get some strikes in commission for the tip off!  It gives me hope as I'm in the mottram area right hoping for an electrical wiff of something

• Like 1

Posted

Had a good thundery-storm here in the Peaks about an hour ago, counted 10 lightning strikes and more rumbles of thunder as it headed off into the distance. Quite a downburst too within the core of it, torrential rain for 5 minutes being blown sideways by a possible microburst.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

I hope you get some strikes in commission for the tip off!  It gives me hope as I'm in the mottram area right hoping for an electrical wiff of something

Oh no chance for me; hasn't been since the diurnal minimum around 10 AM, lovely and sunny here all afternoon as I expected. Good luck anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Thunder and lightening some very heavy showers.... 12c gusty around showers... Tuesday night looking bit breezy... luckily off to southern Spain for my brothers wedding Thursday to Monday looking dry sunny and hot/warm... 

• Like 1

Posted

An exceptionally poor day here, on and off heavy showers merging into longer spells of rain with barely a break, athough the sun made an appearance for about 10 minutes - this is turning into a very dull September.. gusty winds as well, temps in the 12-14 degree range, very poor for 10 September a good 4 degrees below where they should be. We even had a lightning strike and some rumbles of thunder.

The upcoming week looks preety dire, meaning we have endured 2 months now of constant unsettled conditions and below average temps.

15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

An exceptionally poor day here, on and off heavy showers merging into longer spells of rain with barely a break, athough the sun made an appearance for about 10 minutes - this is turning into a very dull September.. gusty winds as well, temps in the 12-14 degree range, very poor for 10 September a good 4 degrees below where they should be. We even had a lightning strike and some rumbles of thunder.

The upcoming week looks preety dire, meaning we have endured 2 months now of constant unsettled conditions and below average temps.

I was in Ambleside yesterday ,awful day heavy rain 13 c winter has arrived.

• Like 1

Posted

Flooding reports in and around Manchester today with 4ft of water reported in a school basement in Offerton. The rain hasn't let-up since early this morning here further south in the Peaks.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-heavy-rain-causes-flooding-13600700

dove2.thumb.jpg.983d0f90eae9d8fea3faa6b8bf7c4ce1.jpgdove.thumb.jpg.f9e8b82ca15e0cb2d60108b1897ad9d5.jpg

• Like 1