Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
46 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Same, maybe there higher res models have it further north?

Looking at your sig; how did you only get 5cm in 2010? Bloody hell. That's a poor showing - wasn't in NW at time but had over a foot at near enough same height as you?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, rain_shadow said:

That is all you can say? :) I posted it there as well and explained before to the mods that sometimes I post here - they did not have any issue. The weather don't know borders. I am still in the NW (even if in forecasts you never know what NW means -NW Scotland, Wales, England or NI)... ?

If I can put my twopenneth in? The Welsh thread might as well be the South Welsh thread..completely monopolised by people from Cardiff, Swansea and the Valleys. Places over 4 hours drive away from me. Whereas the Cheshire border is just 6 miles away. I feel a damn sight more affinity with North West England than I do with Taffy South Wales.

In summary, people in North Wales (especially the North East) have as much in common with the Taffies down South as you guys have with Londoners..very little/none.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Posted
18 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Latest snow accumulation chart from Euro4. I always take note if this model predicts lying snow. http://expert-images.images-weatheronline.com/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2017/12/08/basis06/ukuk/weas/17121006_0806.gif ?

That's good news, and it also shows some for tomorrow afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I love having Welsh posters in this thread. I always think of Northeast Wales as part of the NW anyway, plus most of my weather comes from there.
I had a foot of snow in 2010 btw

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Notice cumulus development to my west has a bit more oomph. Some radar echoes coming from that area

Cloud cover becoming a bit more widespread now. This morning the cloud cover was to my west looking at West Lancashire.. now the clouds are south and East of me 

Posted
11 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Don't like the scaling on those charts

Nor me. But it’s positive that the signal is there. :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Sky darker

Graupel - Light Snow mix at Salwick Nr Preston - quite a surprise.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Well that was crap ,dusting in the morning which soon melted in the barmy temps ,doesn't even feel that cold  out ,lol

I have to say, I have came back from outside and noticed it didn't feel that cold. Some parked cars had a bit of snow on top which was melting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well it’s bitter here. 2.8°C, DP 0.5°C.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Well it’s bitter here. 2.8°C, DP 0.5°C.

Blimey! If that's what you consider bitter the ice days on Sunday and Monday might be a struggle.

Speaking of which - does an ice day mean a chance of the snow becoming freezing rain itself or do over factors determine that? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

EE7229EB-A7D2-4E27-9A3A-ED941CD9DEA2.thumb.png.c9e21a4ec2b924ff3fae2da4d132e89a.png

please please please don’t correct south !!!!

Posted

Puzzled by the BBC charts today and Met Office predictions for Sunday. The BBC show the front hitting S Cumbria, yet show barely any snow here, though S Scotland is in the yellow warning area, so surely it is expected to deliver snow to much of Cumbria. Generally speaking precipitation is heaviest on the forward leading edge of a frontal feature, not its back edge. 

As ever it will be a nowcasting situation - hard to predict where the front will position itself and the duration of any precipitation.

In the meantime, the rest of today will deliver snow showers to the same places that have already seen snow this morning, overnight though we will see a subtle shift in wind direction more towards the WNW which will enable showers to penetrate further inland - less of the cheshire streamer, more in the way of the Irish Sea streamer. 

Hoping we see a bit of a cover tomorrow.

The fells are resplendent white anyway - a cracking winters weekend beckons in the Lake District.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
7 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Blimey! If that's what you consider bitter the ice days on Sunday and Monday might be a struggle.

Speaking of which - does an ice day mean a chance of the snow becoming freezing rain itself or do over factors determine that? 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/weather-phenomena/what-is-precipitation/freezing-rain isnt an ice day where it' sub zero all day?

Edited by swainclubber

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
34 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

If I can put my twopenneth in? The Welsh thread might as well be the South Welsh thread..completely monopolised by people from Cardiff, Swansea and the Valleys. Places over 4 hours drive away from me. Whereas the Cheshire border is just 6 miles away. I feel a damn sight more affinity with North West England than I do with Taffy South Wales.

In summary, people in North Wales (especially the North East) have as much in common with the Taffies down South as you guys have with Londoners..very little/none.

So true, I've always thought of Wrexham as North West mainly due to you being in our tv region for football highlights back in the day.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just had a snow flurry here. The flakes just melted upon contact with ground.

Edited by pip22

Posted
3 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Just had a snow flurry here. The flakes just melted upon contact with ground.

I can see the cloud tops to my northwest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & sunshine

Scattered cloud moving in from n/w biting cold wind.