Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

haha yes thats right!! i was just watching 6z and thinking exactly the same thing- oh well, we got a dusting overnight- problem was half the dusting melted with an hour of settling- now its just an ice rink.

I think it’s best we avoid the MOD thread until after Sunday/Monday, it’s already full of will it snow IMBY down in the Home Counties.😏

15 minutes ago, Thunder Snow said:

Christ the model topic is awful, just a north west, central and South East battle

I haven't been in that thread for years since it became the IMBY nuk'em go robet model wars battle over about half a cm of snow in 2014 - is it really still that bad?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Just now, Deep Snow please said:

I haven't been in that thread for years since it became the NIMBY nuk'em go robet model wars battle - is it really still that bad?

In winter ...Yes.  

Sigh...

All the snow showers are in a line from Isle of man/liverpool/chester

C.S

Snow free here for a change this morning :)

Precictably the low for sunday has been moved further S (expect this to continue tomorrow) -I expect the whole of the region with the possible exception of S Cheshire missing out on the snow on Sunday.  Models always seem to underestimate the strength of blocking.

For those further south I can see some big showers out over Morecambe bay moving South/SSE looks good for a steady stream for a while yet 

Had a gut feeling that we would miss out on the fun on Sunday. 

Dusting of snow from overnight has all but melted.

Double whammy :closedeyes:

37 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Where are you getting that from?

Netweather and BBC both agreeing we are in line for heavy snow in the region; but 15-20cm seems highly optimistic. Even this far out, it could just turn out to be a very very wet Sunday if the margins are out even a little bit. Could easily be freezing rain if the temps out to high, or sleet/normal rain if the temps out too low. 

Gfs 6z 😋

7 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Had a gut feeling that we would miss out on the fun on Sunday. 

Dusting of snow from overnight has all but melted.

Double whammy :closedeyes:

Really?

GFS 6z has the northern extension into north Lancashire 

C.S

Any chance of the winds veering a little to the west today?

I woke up at 5am and it was snowing moderately but it wasn't settling. There were a couple of snow showers that made it through Manchester before everything cleared. Now sunny and snow free.

It is not a surprise to me to see most models shifting Sunday's snow further south. I'd be surprised to see any significant northward corrections from now on.

There is a hope for some snow showers tomorrow afternoon as the flow turns more westerly.

Well GFS 6z has the Peak District (Hadfield/Glossop) in for 18 hours + of snow from 03.00 GMT Sunday going past 15.00GMT Monday.

It will be very interesting to see the final totals and path from that slider low.

I haven't read all the back posts but gather that theres a flavour for a repeat on Wednesday into Thursday. Can anyone shed some more light on that?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Watch the high res ARPEGE now rolling out...

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php

Nothing for southerners get excited about on the 0z - watch the 6z as it updates.

Lol arpege 06z dumps nearly 20cms of snow for midlands!!its further south again!!

Thundersnow reported in Vale of Clwyd, North Wales. Cheshire Gap streamer really doing the business here.

9 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Watch the high res ARPEGE now rolling out...

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php

Nothing for southerners get excited about on the 0z - watch the 6z as it updates.

It shows the main band to have a northern boundary from Preston to Lincoln. Only the ICON shows such a northern boundary, the rest are south.

Usual warnings for us in the Peak District with regards to driving, 3cm fallen here but up in Buxton they've had around 8cm in areas with the Chapel Bypass close to Dove Holes being partially blocked at 2am due to the snow and ice making driving difficult. N.Wales, Cheshire, Staffs and Midlands forecast the rest of the snow for today

https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/live-weather-road-closures-as-derbyshire-wakes-up-to-snow-1-8899731

6 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Thundersnow reported in Vale of Clwyd, North Wales. Cheshire Gap streamer really doing the business here.

Theres more on the way for you as well looking at the clouds to my west ..... enjoy !

Just now, Thunder Snow said:

huh

It was a joke that we should drown out there wooping with wahing. Obviously meant in jest.

Shame to see Sunday drifting further and further away, as with any event that looks to good to be true these days. Might just catch the northern end of it myself it can keep above the Cheshire gap by a few dozen miles though. Height advantaged as well (being 176m asl). Just need the precipation.

Blue sky in Warrington, hail shower earlier but our snow dome is in full effect!! Not confident about Sunday either. 

Reverse psycology........

4 minutes ago, karyo said:

It shows the main band to have a northern boundary from Preston to Lincoln. Only the ICON shows such a northern boundary, the rest are south.

ICON shows massively overrated precipitation amounts.