Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

0c now.... sleety snowy shower currently... had a few snow showers whilst doing a few chores this morning.... lovely to be putting outside decs up in snow showers... snow mostly gone on ground.... patches on grass/car/roof... one Christmas tree up... fire on... feels festive... Glossop seem to have some fireworks for town Christmas light switch on.. lady in mettricks said don’t mention the c word in here yet....hehe....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & sunshine

Took this from edale looking towards glossop looked like glossop was gonna get a battered but drove thru on way home and it was raining. Boo hoo 

20171125_155549.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Chris harry said:

Took this from edale looking towards glossop looked like glossop was gonna get a battered but drove thru on way home and it was raining. Boo hoo 

20171125_155549.jpg

Yes the colder uppers are beginning to drain away now...hopefully a nice frosty spell after these next 2 horrid days coming up

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just went to Blackburn and still no snow up there. Just sleety rain at best.

At least Winter Hill is snow capped when I saw it on my way to Blackburn. It is good  enough for November I guess. :)

Posted

Snowline locally around here was 150 metres this morning, with evidence at 100 metres on cars and sheltered parts - pleasing to see. However, we just had rain showers through the day. Always good to note how local topography makes a difference, fells in langdale and coniston areas, full of snow, yet the more inland eastern fells i.e.fairfield horseshoe and red screes area, little below 600 metres, quite odd, then thick with snow over Kentmere fells, must have been the orientation of the showery bands, a distinct line just through the langdale valley, then another line through Windermere up to Kentmere and over to the Howgills which were plastered with snow as well.

Great to see snow before winter has started proper.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Rain rain rain this morning. Thoroughly unpleasant.

What this cold incursion has reinforced however is coastal areas struggle to see snow even in good setups. Arguably that has been more evident over time

Posted
On 24/11/2017 at 19:34, northwestsnow said:

Rain ?

It's raining here for a change 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, SP1986 said:

What this cold incursion has reinforced however is coastal areas struggle to see snow even in good setups. Arguably that has been more evident over time

Snow was never on the cards in this setup for coastal areas, maybe by midweek a better chance if any showers or troughs about???

Posted
3 hours ago, SP1986 said:

Coastal parts of NW England are as bad as it gets from a snow perspective.Nwlys tend to fail due to the irish sea..think straight northerlies are your best bet :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
34 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Which are no good to me because of mountain shadow :nonono:

Sounds like another wrestler :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

NWlys used to deliver though even to coastal areas.. I remember 1995 and 1997 as two distinct examples. In fact 1997 had a cold front move NW to SE changing from rain to snow as it did and bringing about 2-3cm by the end. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
19 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

NWlys used to deliver though even to coastal areas.. I remember 1995 and 1997 as two distinct examples. In fact 1997 had a cold front move NW to SE changing from rain to snow as it did and bringing about 2-3cm by the end. 

Aye Ste, you are partly right: yes, snow fell on back-edge situations, during the 1990s, more frequently than it does now. But, interestingly, much of the 1970s also saw those snow events largely disappear...Indeed, the first proper one (post 1970) that I can recall didn't occur until March 1978. That was a bloody long wait for a teenage snow-nut!:shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye Ste, you are partly right: yes, snow fell on back-edge situations, during the 1990s, more frequently than it does now. But, interestingly, much of the 1970s also saw those snow events largely disappear...Indeed, the first proper one (post 1970) that I can recall didn't occur until March 1978. That was a bloody long wait for a teenage snow-nut!:shok:

Indeed

More chance of spurs winning the league than getting a decent fall of snow here.:D

C.S

Posted
1 hour ago, SP1986 said:

What was the date in 1997 because that doesn't ring a bell. 1997 was abysmal for snow. From early January to early May, no snow at all. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Cold week coming up after tomorrow's brief mild blip.  Coastal areas might fare better with a few wintry showers adopting the whishbone effect.  Expecting very little chance this far inland, but we could scrape some very cold overnight frosts hopefully later on in the week.  Just being dry for anything longer than a deep breath would be a welcome start.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Still can’t see any sub-zero nights around here on the cards next week as there probably won’t be enough off-shore component to the wind direction, but yet probably just enough of one to stop any showers through this way. Let’s see anyway. 

Posted
34 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Still can’t see any sub-zero nights around here on the cards next week as there probably won’t be enough off-shore component to the wind direction, but yet probably just enough of one to stop any showers through this way. Let’s see anyway. 

Yes it looks like winds will be NNW allowing enough latent coastal warmth to prevent an air frost. Probably looking at around 2C absolute minimum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Normal service resumes........

Posted
15 hours ago, Weather-history said:

What was the date in 1997 because that doesn't ring a bell. 1997 was abysmal for snow. From early January to early May, no snow at all. 

Good question.. 1997 sticks in my head but perhaps around 1999? I vividly remember it happening as I was watching the regional forecast show the track of the cold front NW to SE and staying up most of the night to watch the snow. What I know for sure is that it was at the back end of the 90s.

Ah the one I forgot and one most people will remember was the  early 2004 event which some regarded to be a collapsing 'Polar Low'. Thundersnow was rife that day as I recall and indeed here the temperature dropped from circa 10C to 0C in just 10 minutes, producing heavy rain, hail and then snow which only left a dusting in the end before temperatures rose and it melted away.

Edited by SP1986