Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
35 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Think temps are going to have to start dropping off- hopefully it dries out for a few hours, otherwise its a fail,too wet and not cold enough..

I think those showers earlier are part of a trough and the colder air is behind that, its all marginal stuff but I would hang on in there because I'm sure your location has got a chance of seeing some snow falling although any snow lying might be a bit too optimistic.

Posted
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

I think those showers earlier are part of a trough and the colder air is behind that, its all marginal stuff but I would hang on in there because I'm sure your location has got a chance of seeing some snow falling although any snow lying might be a bit too optimistic.

Yes im sure your right, tbh im not that mithered as this winter feels a lot different- the meto think we sill be cold until Mid Dec , hopefully this thread will be busy during the 1st 2 weeks of December, much better than last year.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, WillinGlossop said:

Very wet and lots of puddles if this freezes it’s going to be an ice rink tomorrow.... slide into Glossop on foot...

Yeah same here i think the colder airmass will be moving over us soon :)

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yeah same here i think the colder airmass will be moving over us soon :)

Hopefully but showers of intensity have been north and now south of here.... just sleet or snowflakes but darn light....  oh well first wintry evening of hopefully many.... loved the cold clear day today though and first I’ve had to get up early enough to scrape the windscreen... been to pick up a couple of Christmas trees and outdoor decorations... felt seasonal....had four mornings with frost and grass was frosty until midday the other day....

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes im sure your right, tbh im not that mithered as this winter feels a lot different- the meto think we sill be cold until Mid Dec , hopefully this thread will be busy during the 1st 2 weeks of December, much better than last year.

Hopefully that will be the case and at worse case, lets have some fog and frost, proper winter fog is something I very rarely seen around here since I moved a couple of years ago so that would be nice if we can't have the snow or convective weather.

Speaking of convective weather, the irish sea does seem to be dying off a bit, one thing I have learnt is that random cells do pop off so all them showers over Ireland/SW Scotland don't tend to head to our region so hopefully we sdee some sign of the colder moving in by creating those convective showers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
6 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Very wet and lots of puddles if this freezes it’s going to be an ice rink tomorrow.... slide into Glossop on foot...

Just been to Billy's Plaice and the gritter was out even though it was pouring with rain (with very slight evidence of a melting snow flake)

I thought gritting lowered the freezing point to -6°C but only if the precipitation had stopped. This will get diluted and give a skating rink if it freezes.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Just been to Billy's Plaice and the gritter was out even though it was pouring with rain (with very slight evidence of a melting snow flake)

I thought gritting lowered the freezing point to -6°C but only if the precipitation had stopped. This will get diluted and give a skating rink if it freezes.

Yep exactly.... great fish n chips.... Woodhead road will be a slip and a slide.... remember year b4 last someone on Glossop Facebook page put a video of a car crashed into a garden...looked out of window and someone had crashed into a neighbours house...the same one as on Facebook Glossop... that was when I lived in Whitfield

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Some heavy rain/hail showers passing through most of the evening. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Yep exactly.... great fish n chips.... Woodhead road will be a slip and a slide.... remember year b4 last someone on Glossop Facebook page put a video of a car crashed into a garden...looked out of window and someone had crashed into a neighbours house...the same one as on Facebook Glossop... that was when I lived in Whitfield

There was a video of the 237 bus on its way up from Stalybridge to the summit where the Waggon & Horses. The bus lost traction aroung the off license and the back end snaked side ways and hit 5 cars.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

There was a video of the 237 bus on its way up from Stalybridge to the summit where the Waggon & Horses. The bus lost traction aroung the off license and the back end snaked side ways and hit 5 cars.

Eeeek... when it snows there are always problems down that road...having said that when there’s no snow there is too... hehe... and god damn mottram too.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Ppn for our region's wintry spell tonight significantly downgraded by met office :sorry:

Posted

Sleety wet snowy precipitation, very wet stuff, need some slightly colder uppers and heavier precipitation to help aid a slushy deposit at least. Good chance we may wake up to a slight dusting at most. There was a very fine slight deposit of snow first thing this morning and it was very icy.

Posted

If your within 2o miles of the west coast pretty much forget it- only parts of the region below zero by early hours are the extreme east near the pennines - it will be frozen here first thing - probably quite dangerous after the rain- sun/mon look very wet!! Hoping for a drying out next week !!

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted

Its gone really cold here- kind of misty but i reckon its close to freezing out there now.

Cant be far off cold enough for the old snow- don't think any will reach here tho..

Defo going to be frozen in the morning here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Theres a slushy dusting about 250M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Rain, sleet and hail showers most of the evening. Can’t see it dropping below about 3/4C tonight. 

Posted

Still 1c here.... clearer skies.... puddles... woodburner on, Bloody Mary poured, some decs up..seen some snowflakes (not millenial snowflakes).. can’t complain....

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Backtrack said:

Rain, sleet and hail showers most of the evening. Can’t see it dropping below about 3/4C tonight. 

Rantoday has your area above freezing all night Backtrack :( 

Posted
3 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Still 1c here.... clearer skies.... puddles... woodburner on, Bloody Mary poured, some decs up..seen some snowflakes (not millenial snowflakes).. can’t complain....

Think there are some showers aligning towards you in the Irish Sea- they will be rain near the coast but you might do okay.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Think there are some showers aligning towards you in the Irish Sea- they will be rain near the coast but you might do okay.

Hehe ? cheers.... might be white out tomorrow or the hills might well be.... hopefully they’ll pep up later and become a bit more widespread... 

Posted

Must say, there has been precious little activity in the Irish sea this evening- its really cold here- but alas, nearly time to call it a day- good luck all, i suspect Will might get a dusting, hopefully better luck next time ..