Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
6 hours ago, SP1986 said:

Some big differences from coast to inland this morning in our region. From -2C around Manchester to +7C on Wirral peninsula. Nearly a 10 degree difference within 50 miles.

God that is depressing, those differences seem to be growing as Winter's go by too. No wonder snow is getting less and less here, I remember even here by the coast lying snow on average in the 80's would occur at least twice a Winter, now it's once every 4 or 5 years!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

That temp difference is nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year. It will slowly diminish as we get into winter. It’s all about the wind direction here. a 10 degree change in direction can often make all the difference in many situations. 

Posted
42 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

That temp difference is nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year. It will slowly diminish as we get into winter. It’s all about the wind direction here. a 10 degree change in direction can often make all the difference in many situations. 

Agree, but the Irish Sea is warming so some situations that would have produced snow 30 years ago now produce rain for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
10 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Agree, but the Irish Sea is warming so some situations that would have produced snow 30 years ago now produce rain for us.

Perhaps; but the good times will come again :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

We have a height issue here too.. so Chris on the coast in Crosby gets more hard frost than here because the cold air flows off the hillside.

One way I can tell the climate has definitely changed is 30 years ago it was inconceivable to imagine you could grow Citrus trees here as the cold, wet winters would finish them off with the odd hard frost. Now they will survive, flower and fruit every year. They are still at risk from cold spells but whereas i  1987 they may only go through 2 winters in a row before being caught by a cold winter, but now it is 7-8 winters in a row. Thing are definitely changing

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

We have a height issue here too.. so Chris on the coast in Crosby gets more hard frost than here because the cold air flows off the hillside.

One way I can tell the climate has definitely changed is 30 years ago it was inconceivable to imagine you could grow Citrus trees here as the cold, wet winters would finish them off with the odd hard frost. Now they will survive, flower and fruit every year. They are still at risk from cold spells but whereas i  1987 they may only go through 2 winters in a row before being caught by a cold winter, but now it is 7-8 winters in a row. Thing are definitely changing

Unfortunately SP completely agree. I remember when a frost was a frost, everything completely crisp and white, now we are lucky to get a bit of ice on the cars.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Unfortunately SP completely agree. I remember when a frost was a frost, everything completely crisp and white, now we are lucky to get a bit of ice on the cars.

11 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I've had a couple of crispy white ones this season so far but like heatwaves it's hard to get a 6 to 10 day settled period these days 

• Like 1

Posted

Having said all that I do think this Winter may actually produce. :good:

Posted

Lovely day in the Peaks today aside from the cold wind, from Edale to Marsden there was plenty of *almost* cloud-free skies with visibility all the way to Cheshire. Even the 'Moors for the Future' Huey was doing the rounds and dropping off some moss/peat-seed supplies close to the Snake Pass. 

DSC_0416.thumb.JPG.374983159c08f1d0d714bc1aca9a39f0.JPG

Posted
1 minute ago, itsnowjoke said:

Lots of flooding in Lancashire today

yes, its bad in parts of the north west- and another round tomorrow.Think i would rather the low saturday is further south as some places desperately need a drier spell of weather.Hopefully after tomorrow it will be come gradually drier and colder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
31 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

yes, its bad in parts of the north west- and another round tomorrow.Think i would rather the low saturday is further south as some places desperately need a drier spell of weather.Hopefully after tomorrow it will be come gradually drier and colder.

LOL you wont be saying that if Birmingham south got plastered in snow:D

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Here in the Wirral tropics, it looks like the upcoming cold spell will be frost, ice and snow free.. but we might see a bit of hail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A horrid evening here & looking ridiculously mild tomorrow but Friday night into Saturday looking interesting. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, itsnowjoke said:

Raining

Aye it's a bit damp and plenty more damp on the way tonight and tomorrow.

Pretty confident for snow here by weekend as I'm in London Friday to Sunday and once missed a foot of the stuff while down there

Posted

An interesting backing of the wins on Friday night as a short-wave passes to the South. A very very slim chance of evaporative cooling aided snowfall at lower levels when the wind is backed. Otherwise nothing to write home about this weekend on the coast, apart from some good convection perhaps. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

An interesting backing of the wins on Friday night as a short-wave passes to the South. A very very slim chance of evaporative cooling aided snowfall at lower levels when the wind is backed. Otherwise nothing to write home about this weekend on the coast, apart from some good convection perhaps. 

I'll be using your weather station link this Winter Chris, will come in handy when hoping for snow prospects :good:

• Like 1

Posted

Its 15C on the eve of December after dark. Dust off the BBQs?

Posted
21 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I'll be using your weather station link this Winter Chris, will come in handy when hoping for snow prospects :good:

Sorry the page isn’t brilliant, the software hasn’t been updated for 2 years. Try this link, might be better. https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ILITTLEC3

Also @Crosby_weather on Twitter