Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Joined the NSC club, finally, today. Started off watching that cell heading inbound to Macclesfield and hearing the constant rumbles of thunder in the distance. This subsided somewhat but I still managed to see 2 strikes and torrential-rain for a time as it passed over.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
1 hour ago, itsnowjoke said:

Same here can't see location 

I'm using my phone, was seeing them but don't know why I'm not now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
18 minutes ago, Jan said:

I'm using my phone, was seeing them but don't know why I'm not now

Since the forum upgrade they haven't been there on mobile view. The forum team have to add them back in manually which they are working on. There's a thread in the help section where this has been mentioned. :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
20 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Since the forum upgrade they haven't been there on mobile view. The forum team have to add them back in manually which they are working on. There's a thread in the help section where this has been mentioned. :-)

Thanks Chris

Posted

Yep, we're definitely working on it. The new system is a bit more complex in terms of getting them in there for mobile users, but we'll get there soon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Well after seeing what seems like a procession of days where the centre of the U.K. is under rainy skies while others enjoy sunshine, it's payback time, if only for today.

just been out with the dog and although not BBQ or beer garden weather, it's decent and dry if a little bit chilly.

make the most of it though as from tomorrow afternoon it's back to conditions more like October.

Posted

Looks like another really poor summer for thunder for the Greater Manchester area. I can't see much happening now til the end of the meteorological summer. 

We had torrential showers on Thursday but they were no sferics, today, the showers in the south have a good deal of sferics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 05/08/2017 at 11:23, iand61 said:

Well after seeing what seems like a procession of days where the centre of the U.K. is under rainy skies while others enjoy sunshine, it's payback time, if only for today.

just been out with the dog and although not BBQ or beer garden weather, it's decent and dry if a little bit chilly.

make the most of it though as from tomorrow afternoon it's back to conditions more like October.

Yes, what is laughingly described as "high summer" currently so dark that you would be forgiven to think today was a late October day just before the clocks go back.  Needless to say it's cold and wet.  No improvement in sight so looks like autumn has started a month early.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Absolutely vile outside now.

never mind only 3 more weeks of this dross to endure then its holidays where at least any rain will fall in temperatures in the 30's 

2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Absolutely vile outside now.

never mind only 3 more weeks of this dross to endure then its holidays where at least any rain will fall in temperatures in the 30's 

Lucky you I've got to wait till January as my usual time will be  invaded by the arrival of third grandchild,though I'm looking forward to chilie.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mokidugway said:

Lucky you I've got to wait till January as my usual time will be  invaded by the arrival of third grandchild,though I'm looking forward to chilie.

Chillie to eat or visit.

mexico for me

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol South American one ,punta arenas ,Santiago  Easter island and atacama desert should be fun ,enjoy Mexico :)

Hmmmm, could manage that myself. Doubt the missus would be happy though although I did get her to the Grand Canyon last year which not long ago would have seemed impossible.

• Like 1

Just now, iand61 said:

Hmmmm, could manage that myself. Doubt the missus would be happy though although I did get her to the Grand Canyon last year which not long ago would have seemed impossible.

Lol ,we stayed at phantom ranch a few years ago , hiked from tusayan south rim and out the north , great fun 

Posted
20 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol ,we stayed at phantom ranch a few years ago , hiked from tusayan south rim and out the north , great fun 

She certainly wouldn't do the hiking bit unless there was a shopping mall at either end.

Posted

ANOTHER disgusting vile excuse for a summers day.

Seriously?

im kind of glad i got to see what a proper summer looks like when i was a kid, i actually feel sorry for the young uns who  must wonder what a nice August looks like!

Posted
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

ANOTHER disgusting vile excuse for a summers day.

Seriously?

im kind of glad i got to see what a proper summer looks like when i was a kid, i actually feel sorry for the young uns who  must wonder what a nice August looks like!

Yep it's crap all right but at least the south is having to endure the conditions that I seem to have put up with for a lifetime.

as for a decent August, I can't remember an outstanding one since 1995 so even those approaching 30 won't have seen a glut of August heatwave conditions.

no doubt the decent conditions will make their annual return in late September, and October when the shorter days render it pretty worthless.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Have you noticed how when the South get a bit of rain it's always "a washout!"; But when we do it's just  A bit of rain.  Just annoys me that. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Have you noticed how when the South get a bit of rain it's always "a washout!"; But when we do it's just  A bit of rain.  Just annoys me that. 

Yeah but us northerners have webbed feet.

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Yep it's crap all right but at least the south is having to endure the conditions that I seem to have put up with for a lifetime.

as for a decent August, I can't remember an outstanding one since 1995 so even those approaching 30 won't have seen a glut of August heatwave conditions.

no doubt the decent conditions will make their annual return in late September, and October when the shorter days render it pretty worthless.

August 1997 and 2003 had their moments but asking for another August 1995 is too much of an ask.

Early part of August 2013 was pretty warm.

Posted
38 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

August 1997 and 2003 had their moments but asking for another August 1995 is too much of an ask.

Early part of August 2013 was pretty warm.

Thinking about it, 2013 was a decent summer up here.

not overly hot but plenty of dry weather throughout the period.

I remember that hot period you said in early August 2003, especially one baking hot day in Skipton and climbing Pendle Hill in stifling heat.

1997 I can't remember.

Posted

Mmm struggling to get enthused about the weather at the moment, everything has gone downstream since the first week of July it feels, with only very limited bursts of warm sunny dry weather - the odd day here and there,  but its been mostly cloudy wet and rather cool, very uninspiring, today being a case in point, bit of drizzle first thing, but although then mostly dry it was dull, and this evening light rain and another early descent into dusk. By this stage in the summer unfortunately you do start to notice the light levels fading in the evening especially when dull / wet.. a subtle shift in the overall feel of things tends to occur by mid August, and those hints of autumn start to tinge the air.. the heady feeling of late May and early June quickly becomes a distant memory - I'm not a fan of August for this reason in the main, I never rate it compared to May, June and July.. there is always that feeling of 'what could have been'.. Oh well there is always September around the corner when we often see a spell of summer come back.

Posted

Damp start but gradually improved as the day went on and a decent evening on the cards now.

time to take the dog out I think.

Posted

Our region dodged a bullet today, it's been grim darn sarf, instead of grim up n'orf.  I'm sure the tables will turn again at some point (cough*next*week*cough) and we'll at the mercy of relentless rain from the west, but at least today and tomorrow are decent outdoor days.

Posted
43 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Our region dodged a bullet today, it's been grim darn sarf, instead of grim up n'orf.  I'm sure the tables will turn again at some point (cough*next*week*cough) and we'll at the mercy of relentless rain from the west, but at least today and tomorrow are decent outdoor days.

Yeah its not often that we get better weather weather than those down south but it's nice when it happens.

it does bug me though when a couple of days rain in the SE is the only conversation on the lips of everyone on TV and radio.

i have to endure over 50 years of the stuff up here and learned to just get wet and get on with it.