Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
26 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Not very often NW England has been the location of the hottest temperatures in Western Europe and this week the last 2 days has been the case.. We enjoy it most than many when it arrives. Fantastic and well rewarded for one of the sun starved places in Euroland. The synoptics have been in our favour for much of the Spring/ Early Summer. Hope for more !

C

Yes perfect synoptics for widespread heat across the region and indeed Scotland, with heights stretched on a north-south axis just to our east, pulling in a direct southerly continental source with no wind whatsoever. The warm uppers settling in situ over southern/central england and swept our way. More usually NW England is the hot spot when there is a slight easterly element to the wind, but not on this occasion.

We've had two consective days above 25 degrees, hard to come by in July and August in some years. Kendal I think hit 28 degrees. Summer 2012 for instance never delivered a max higher than 25 degrees! (after incidentally a very warm end to May..). 

Tomorrow could deliver some spectacular thunderstorms, Cumbria looks like being in prime position.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes perfect synoptics for widespread heat across the region and indeed Scotland, with heights stretched on a north-south axis just to our east, pulling in a direct southerly continental source with no wind whatsoever. The warm uppers settling in situ over southern/central england and swept our way. More usually NW England is the hot spot when there is a slight easterly element to the wind, but not on this occasion.

We've had two consective days above 25 degrees, hard to come by in July and August in some years. Kendal I think hit 28 degrees. Summer 2012 for instance never delivered a max higher than 25 degrees! (after incidentally a very warm end to May..). 

Tomorrow could deliver some spectacular thunderstorms, Cumbria looks like being in prime position.

I'll wait and see on that one , a wee bit pessimistic ,lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
19 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

A lot to do with orographic location. I note at 2100 hours Blackpool on the Irish Sea coast 23c and Dover on the English Channel coast 18c. Not very often you see that . The warmest flow does seem up the western half of the British isles over the past 2 days or so. Southeast probabaly warmest spot tomorrow though.

C

Posted

Perfect summer weather at the moment, it's pretty rare that you can sit out comfortably at this hour in shorts and tshirt, especially in May! Hopefully lots more to come through summer proper. Fingers crossed for storms tomorrow but I'm not getting my hopes up

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The prospect for the south of the region seem to be waning I suspect.. due to the unfortunate timing of arrival at the coldest time of the day. I suspect further east may get a few rumbles but here in the west it will be just rainfall. 

Further north could be one to watch however as heating over the course of the day may build up energy again.. so watch out Cumbria?

Posted
3 hours ago, SP1986 said:

The prospect for the south of the region seem to be waning I suspect.. due to the unfortunate timing of arrival at the coldest time of the day. I suspect further east may get a few rumbles but here in the west it will be just rainfall. 

Further north could be one to watch however as heating over the course of the day may build up energy again.. so watch out Cumbria?

Yes BBC certainly going for it - very intense precipitation forecast for Cumbria around 3-5pm probably thanks to the added heating that will occur through lunchtime - will wait and see.. the first precipitation band is collapsing though, due to hit right now, expecting only sporadic shortlived outbreaks, dampening the ground but not doing anything. A humid quite frustrating day ahead beckons..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Lousy nights sleep, got up early in anticipation of a storm. Had a bit of rain earlier but nothing to get excited about. What are our chances here in NW, I'm thinking we won't get anything thundery wise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Where are these storms then? Hardly a cloud now. Snow letdowns now replaced with storm letdowns, good job I like horse racing an football. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A few large drops of warm rain from a dark cloud earlier this morning but it's cleared through to sunshine again now.

hopefully a few hours working in the garden now, even longer if the storms threatened for this afternoon stay away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Wow some big cracks of thunder here no rain but the skies to my South look threatening 

C.S. 

Posted

A line of intense precipitation along the M6 near Stoke now. Moving northwards.

Posted
1 minute ago, alr1970 said:

A line of intense precipitation along the M6 near Stoke now. Moving northwards.

Think I am on the edge of that at the moment going very dark here now

C.S. 

Posted

Thunder heard from south Manchester. It's building fast now.

Posted

Skies now clearing looks like the storm that was near Stoke is heading towards Manchester,had a few loud cracks of thunder,but no rain.

C.S. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Plenty of thunder here now but after a few more drops of warm rain it's back to sunshine again.

these conditions, hot sunshine, high humidity, big clouds and rumbles of thunder remind me of holidays in the Caribean 

• Like 1

Posted

Wow impressive rash of cells across our region. Was doing some gardening and noticed huge clouds suddenly pop up to the south. Now do I risk putting the washing out...

Edited by Mountain Snow

Posted

It's going ballistic over Pennine tops according to lightning radar.... At the moment my area is in a sliver of blue skies & the sun's out blazing.... Storms too close for comfort though and could crop up out of nowhere

Posted
16 hours ago, carinthian said:
16 minutes ago, Mountain Snow said:

Wow impressive rash of cells across our region. Was doing some gardening and noticed huge clouds suddenly pop up to the south. Now do I risk putting the washing out...

Yes lots of rumblings here over past 15 minutes, and dark clouds with a few bursts of heavy raindrops, but not lightning, and nothing particularly intense. There is a very narrow band of thundery rain moving through the region, so I suspect a half hour of locally heavy stuff is imminent, whether we see anything sustained and more dramatic as the afternoon wears on remains to be seen. Not the best time of day for such happenings, slap bang in the middle of the afternoon, more normally its late afternoon when such developments occur, alas its so humid things are happening earlier.. 

Posted
28 minutes ago, Mountain Snow said:

Mine dried in 30 minutes in the wind and warmth, so it's worth a stab.

Posted

A few more drops of warm rain then back to sunshine.

impressive clouds though.

Posted

5 minutes track on the storm radar resulted in very dark cluster of red & potential thunder a few miles south in Ashton to virtually nothing by the time it scraped by just to my East.  No luck so far today

Posted

Thundering again but dry, sunny and 24c.

I'm sure i could stand 3 months of this type of weather.

Posted
7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Thundering again but dry, sunny and 24c.

I'm sure i could stand 3 months of this type of weather.

Yep i'm definitely up for a classic summer this year. Raining here now and quite windy, some rumbles of thunder but nothing spectacular. Seem to be just catching the edge of these storms heading though the Lake District.