Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, khodds said:

That was the one!! Oh my god. I still have the emotional scars ?

That was nothing compared to the red warning that Dorset was on in 09, only for it to be removed during the night. We were still under an Amber warning, and we barely got a dusting of snow here. That will go down in the history books as one of the biggest weather fails of all time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

That was nothing compared to the red warning that Dorset was on in 09, only for it to be removed during the night. We were still under an Amber warning, and we barely got a dusting of snow here. That will go down in the history books as one of the biggest weather fails of all time!

If that's the time I'm thinking of I was under that same warning although I was living in Winchester back then so still ended up with a decent amount of snow, just not as much as first thought when the red warning was issued.  

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
12 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Safely say it's the disappointments in the weather that really bind this group together ?. Group therapy helps ?

It definitely does.

my word.. just popped to the MAD thread.. that blooming low is still there.. I wish it would stop trying to suck me in.. it can’t happen.. can it?! ??

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Yep. Remember that one too for you. We have all been through a lot - winter weather wise - actually when you think about it! More disappointments than happiness I believe ?

blimey I sound grumpy again! Best get back on the mulled wine!

Edited by khodds

Posted

I can't take these seriously..

ens2.thumb.png.56b571e227b0ce9666ca224e5e6ce30b.png ens1.thumb.png.8139517a9e74630fd5ca5cf1fb7bb565.png

The steep drop off in the 850's is exacerbated by the approaching low - drawing warmer air up ahead of it. I guarantee they'll be another toy's r us moment in the mod thread in the coming few days. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
9 hours ago, Mapantz said:

That was devastating, literally everywhere around us got buried in snow, Dorset.....bone dry, not a flake! I think the wounds healed because of 2010, whereas it hasn’t really snowed here since that miss in 2013, properly  snow!

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
8 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I guarantee they'll be another toy's r us moment in the mod thread in the coming few days. :)

That might help ToysRus stave off closing their stores then..:oops:

Posted

A benign night temperature wise, with an almost flat line around the 3.2C mark, and a cloudy start to the day. Drop of rain wouldn’t go amiss to wash the salt off the roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

A little momentum again this morning

56BB98FA-ADE8-4650-9E9D-428A177645FF.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 hour ago, fromey said:

A little momentum again this morning

56BB98FA-ADE8-4650-9E9D-428A177645FF.jpeg

Until it become an m4 north setup closer to the time.... :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Well I'm in for another bout of dissapointment when it comes to snow. Can't help but be excited with the models for next Thursday and Friday. Yes it will end a soggy mess but when there is a chance blizzards!! In for a penny in for a pound! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Nights King said:

Until it become an m4 north setup closer to the time.... :oops:

You may be right, I’m just seeing how it goes, not getting sucked in yet!!

plus I’m on annual leave next week so the weather can do what it wants

ffomey 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Quite looking forward to a rain to snow event, if it happens of course but I'd much prefer rain to snow than the other way round! 

What I'm waiting on, and it's bound to happen,  is for someone in the mod thread to bring up the old chestnut about snow not settling if its been raining beforehand. That is, quite frankly a load of bs, if the snow is heavy enough and the temps drop enough then it'll settle, it's as simple as that. I can remember the last time we had a rain to snow event, remember that one when we were waiting for the lower dew points to be pulled in off the colder continent, took ages for the rain to start turning to snow but it did and despite the amount of rain beforehand we ended up with lying snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 hour ago, Smartie said:

Quite looking forward to a rain to snow event, if it happens of course but I'd much prefer rain to snow than the other way round! 

What I'm waiting on, and it's bound to happen,  is for someone in the mod thread to bring up the old chestnut about snow not settling if its been raining beforehand. That is, quite frankly a load of bs, if the snow is heavy enough and the temps drop enough then it'll settle, it's as simple as that. I can remember the last time we had a rain to snow event, remember that one when we were waiting for the lower dew points to be pulled in off the colder continent, took ages for the rain to start turning to snow but it did and despite the amount of rain beforehand we ended up with lying snow. 

It has certainly been a long time I am sure there is a later one but April 2001 comes to mind when it started off as heavy rain on Mendip at 6am and then by 8am we had heavy laying snow. Then by late afternoon the snowline very slowly crept all the way down to sea level giving wells and the somerset levels a couple of inches by evening and more elevated areas near a foot.

Posted
8 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

That was devastating, literally everywhere around us got buried in snow, Dorset.....bone dry, not a flake! I think the wounds healed because of 2010, whereas it hasn’t really snowed here since that miss in 2013, properly  snow!

2010 didn't heal and wounds here, it made things worse, as it was a snow to rain event for moi. I had more snow on January 18th 2013 than in December 2010 - by a long way!

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
42 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Look's like a rain to rain event, with gales..

As my colleague on the Southern edge eluded to in his reply, there be little excitement down' ere for what's on the menu..

Posted

Waiting for the 18z with half a bottle of wine and half a pint of baileys on board. It had better be a cracker ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
15 minutes ago, khodds said:

Waiting for the 18z with half a bottle of wine and half a pint of baileys on board. It had better be a cracker ?

We'll need more than that if he goes a bit Pete Tong!!!

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, festivalking said:

We'll need more than that if he goes a bit Pete Tong!!!

Fear not. I have provisions  :yahoo:

Posted

After a cold start yesterday of 3c, it quickly rose to 6.5c and stayed at that for much of the day, dropping down from midnight when it got down to 5.1c at 2am.

Light Grey skies this morning.
Currently 9.1c, wind now NW from its WNW of yesterday.
No rain here since that 1.2mm last Monday.

Posted

I never pay much attention to my iPhone weather app but for some reason it’s exciting when the snow icon shows up! 

1090763E-5BF6-4C19-BA55-9D1B0AB90AA4.png