Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

As SteveB says, cracking storm here last night.

Oddly, the clearing thundery looking sky that was around only two hours ago had been replaced by grey muck. Hoping it clears up big time this afternoon as a BBQ is planned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Happy for those with storms last night, but what a disappointment here in Stroud! Woke up just before 3am to a clear sky, but with constant flashes of lightening on the horizon. Spent an hour and a half seeing it all spread north towards me on the radar, only most of it fizzled out by the time it got here... Had a few impressive flashes and some rumbles of thunder about 4.30 and that was it apart from rain. Oh well! Think the weather was less frustrating without live radars. Hopefully get something Sunday eve. 

Posted

Got to 25.9c yesterday at 5pm and was still 22c at midnight when it slowly dropped to 15.5c at 4am.

Had some more rain early morning, the first since 18th May.
Not sure if we had any rumbles here as at 6:30am, rain had stopped.
Looking on the weather station the rain ial came in a short time between 4am and 5am.

Now 16c, 90% humidity, 1013.3 hPa
The Easterly wind we had yesterday since early hours has moved southerly, 10mph.

Posted

Watch this beautiful sky unfold this morning at around 4am, as a thunderstorm came with it! Frequent lightning from this and 5mm rain fell in a few minutes, which was crazy! 

IMG_1418.thumb.JPG.aa63dc28ab79d23fe4bf967174888cf1.JPG

Now all calm with some cloudy conditions, still 20.6c and humidity at 89%. Winds southerly at 6.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sw gales or lot's of snow

http://new.dawlishbeach.com/san-remo-lightning-display/

Link to a vid from Dawlish looking east up the Channel to the Weymouth storm at about 2:30am.  This show made up for the first cell dying as it got here and then the Plymouth area storm blowing up into a mothership,  which missed us but still made amazing strobe affects in the clouds above us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

I am so happy, was thinking I was cursed never to see an overhead storm again, but last night put an end to that in style.

Constant thunder and lightning & very heavy rain, reminded me of how storms used to be 10+ years ago.

Everyone around here must be as happy as I am.

We have had storms around Weston, and only last week a storm passed over the town centre (knocking my mates satellite out) but I was at work in Nailsea and saw nothing. Seen cracking storms in the distance over the Mendips and  further East, or over Wales, but finally had one pass right over.

Bring on the rest of Summer! 

Yes it's been a while since I've seen a weather show like that over Weston, hoping for many more hot spells through the summer followed by breakdowns like we saw last night. My only complaint, I'd  rather have the storms in the evening as nothing beats sitting out in the garden on a hot & humid late evening watching menacing clouds rolling in with distant rumbles & lightning slowly getting closer, can remember many a time like that in the 90s.

• Like 1

Posted

As much as I loved last night, today's weather is taking the p. Sun... COME OUT! Wind... DO ONE!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow & Thunderstorms

Managed to get these gifs off my phones video footage, this was just after the really intense lightning. What a show it was though, amazing, our new cat was watching with me and then went absolutely bonkers running around the house! 

light_gif (1).gif

light_gif (2).gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
45 minutes ago, MP-R said:

As much as I loved last night, today's weather is taking the p. Sun... COME OUT! Wind... DO ONE!

Well the sun is out now even though the wind isn't abating and according to my temp gauge 25 C oh moving to 26.2 C . I think the sensor is overheating lol and air temp rather than actual . 

But it still muggy or is it just me ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

8°C cooler than this time yesterday, only 15.3°C. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

15.9C here and feels distinctly cool in the breeze....cloudy but fairly bright.....hope the sun makes an appearance....not looking too promising.

Posted
34 minutes ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

Well the sun is out now even though the wind isn't abating and according to my temp gauge 25 C oh moving to 26.2 C . I think the sensor is overheating lol and air temp rather than actual . 

But it still muggy or is it just me ? 

That's promising to hear. Just need that sun to come out as its not overly warm with cloud cover.

Posted

We've had all the low cloud thanks to after effects of the storms plus the Cold Front which did very little down this way - our storms were from a trough just ahead of the cold front, also fresher air overriding hot/damp ground - kind of like in winter when mild air overrides cold low level conditions causing fog. Interestingly the cold front has ignited further north.

Much sunnier here now and quickly above 20c was 17c half an hour ago. Let's enjoy a lovely 24 hours and aim/hope for more fun tomorrow afternoon into the night.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

This has all the trappings so far of another poor short range forecast by the BBC/Met Office. No storms, rain had cleared here by 9am, and no sun since then and a gusting cold wind. Where is the warm sunshine promised in this morning's forecast at around 9:30am?

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

After this mornings epic storms, i'm now looking to Sunday night..

5929814c70c30_2017-05-27(8).thumb.png.48d744b5670afd345006c7f693de8735.png 5929815485637_2017-05-27(9).thumb.png.b01f15126e4a6b395fd857066b9359ec.png

The DWD ICON you might ask? Well, the German model has performed very well. It pretty much got last nights/this morning activity nailed a few days before.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
1 hour ago, The Enforcer said:

This has all the trappings so far of another poor short range forecast by the BBC/Met Office. No storms, rain had cleared here by 9am, and no sun since then and a gusting cold wind. Where is the warm sunshine promised in this morning's forecast at around 9:30am?

We're not exactly storm central round here are we? Got a belter last year which resulted in Waitrose in Wallingford getting a direct hit, but since then very little to speak of 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hardly any sunshine today, and feeling a tad chilly in the wind. It was warmer at midnight than it has been in daylight hours. Gusting to 28mph.

Temp: 15.9°C - Hum: 84% - Dew: 13.2°C  - Bar: 1016.19hPa - Wind: SW @ 13mph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Hardly any sunshine today, and feeling a tad chilly in the wind. It was warmer at midnight than it has been in daylight hours. Gusting to 28mph.

How strange that  you have weather like that . It's muggy , we've had bright sunshine , and although cloudy now it's still muddy and 22C .

we had lots of lightning ,but it was clear that the storm was more intense in Plymouth, Dorset and North Somerset .  . It's like it's clears down the air over you but not me .

all the rain that was supposed to be arriving tomorrow in to Monday has been downgraded in to light showers for an hour maybe two . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Same here, the high was 18.1°C at 3:26 this morning which is just before last nights storm reached here. During the day it was cloudy and felt quite cold with the breeze. The sun did finally come out about 6pm. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

we had lots of lightning ,but it was clear that the storm was more intense in Plymouth, Dorset and North Somerset .  . It's like it's clears down the air over you but not me

Similar here lots of lightning around but hardly any rain yet the rain @Mapantz had was heading straight towards here until it broke up as it approached. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

BBC are not helping their cause by not updating their website graphics since yesterday evening. This shows no rain over the UK at 7pm tomorrow, which is in contrast to the 7:30pm forecast which has rain arriving here by 2pm. However, having checked Hi-Res models, this is an outlier scenario:

Arome - 6pm

Arpege - 4pm

NMM - 1am

Euro 4 - 8pm

Posted

Beautiful hazily sunny morning, the high cloud foretelling of what is to come later. 15.7c at the moment.

Looks potentially very exciting for large parts of the region from about 14.00 for at least 12 hours! The action coming in 2 bursts with a less active evening in between.

Although I do have a feeling that we could be a breeding ground for tonight's storms which will be worse (better!!) further North.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Morning all,

looks like it's kicking off over the Channel Islands right now

fromey

IMG_0344.PNG

Posted

I'm hoping the NW SR prediction is wrong because it currently suggests we are too far East for any storm activity later this PM. Even the Arpege model suggests major rainfall goes to the west over Cornwall & Devon.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1