Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
4 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Gives the impression some intensity and duration of precipitation is needed today - assuming, that is, that the rain was light - as it appeared on radar?

Good morning singularity 

Yes it was very light 

So intensity will be key for a bit of evaporative cooling 

I noticed there is a lot of talk about the Met office fax chart showing the slider logo going ever further south possibly south of the M4 

On my weather he pro app it showed our area could have heavy snow on Monday so if we can get some Sunday as well then perfect 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Broken cloud with sunshine. 2.3c. Wind Chill  -0.2c   Apparent -0.1c. Humidity 77%rh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Southampton area has a thin shower line heading straight for it! @Chul @katemart 

929307B4-9614-4A0C-9EE1-899646E13D2C.thumb.png.a20feb5064b3c0ca28e0cd4fcc1e9b8b.png

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
Just now, offerman said:

Good morning singularity 

Yes it was very light 

So intensity will be key for a bit of evaporative cooling 

I noticed there is a lot of talk about the Met office fax chart showing the slider logo going ever further south possibly south of the M4 

On my weather he pro app it showed our area could have heavy snow on Monday so if we can get some Sunday as well then perfect 

Good morning to you too :)

Shower near me has turned very heavy on radar over Salisbury. So near yet so far.

Yes Sun-Mon continues to toy with us. The track of the Sun event will affect the cut-in of cold air on the Mon event. Best case scenario for snow would be the Sun event adjusting near 100 miles south yet the Mon event staying on a similar track... that'd be quite some trick now wouldn't it? :drunk-emoji:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Good morning to you too :)

Shower near me has turned very heavy on radar over Salisbury. So near yet so far.

Yes Sun-Mon continues to toy with us. The track of the Sun event will affect the cut-in of cold air on the Mon event. Best case scenario for snow would be the Sun event adjusting near 100 miles south yet the Mon event staying on a similar track... that'd be quite some trick now wouldn't it? :drunk-emoji:

It sleet at the moment, but bigger flakes mixed in as the intensity increases.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

That is a snowflake forecast for Bournemouth!! Frame it:D:D

IMG_0169.PNG

Posted

Proper snow here now. :reindeer-emoji:

Edit - And it's stopped. It was wet, it didn't last long; but I liked it.

Edited by jtay
  • Like 2

Posted

GFS has shifted the sunday low further south, probably by around 40-50 miles which for 6 hours is significant.

I'm more interested what the Aperge will show at around 10am. interesting, very interesting! M4 and surrounding areas should watch with raised hopes IMO. Which means I wont have to drive to far on Sunday :rofl:

oh..... and then there's Monday Morning :help:

gfs-2-72.thumb.png.c0c75436dc7694cd6667aa6c9fc7f257.pnggfs-2-78.thumb.png.e91447bd5e8841005710b30250c0f811.pnggfs-16-84.thumb.png.814566f8a8e2d54e83d7b3f129ff4bd4.png

8)

We all deserve this, so fingers crossed

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

No snow overnight for me however surrounding areas had a very very light covering. Nice little flurry on the way to work which gave a light dusting on top of the dry stone walls. Radar shows a thin band of ppn heading over oxford so might see a few more snowflakes!

Posted

Just to add, Monday morning should come with a health warning, a it is a very marginal setup. But we all know that anyway, we are hardcore! Standard Protocol when snow is on the cards down here!

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy snow shower here,first in a long time,like years lol.....settled in places too,but not for long.Much funnier was the reaction of Big Ted my cat,hes not seen snow before,sat by the open back door trying to work out what was going on,1 flake on his nose and two on his whiskers sorted that,ran indoors howling for bikkies......Wussy feline.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

..we are hardcore! Standard Protocol when snow is on the cards down here!

WE ARE HARDCORE,yeah:aggressive:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
1 minute ago, jy said:

Heavy snow shower here,first in a long time,like years lol.....settled in places too,but not for long.Much funnier was the reaction of Big Ted my cat,hes not seen snow before,sat by the open back door trying to work out what was going on,1 flake on his nose and two on his whiskers sorted that,ran indoors howling for bikkies......Wussy feline.

It did look better to the west jy. The top of Clearbury (the hill behind the Yewtree pub) vanished for a while, so the extra height up there definately helped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

SNOWING!!

• Like 7

Posted
34 minutes ago, That ECM said:

That is a snowflake forecast for Bournemouth!! Frame it:D:D

IMG_0169.PNG

Someones been watching too much Cbeebies! Lovely and sunny here just getting the barbecue out :-D

Posted
30 minutes ago, jtay said:

Proper snow here now. :reindeer-emoji:

Edit - And it's stopped. It was wet, it didn't last long; but I liked it.

About 10 minutes down the road from you and it was 75% heavy rain and the rest large flakes.

Can't believe it really; model consensus, TV forecasts and general theory all support snow here today based on projections but it seems something isn't quite what it was meant to be this morning.

Posted

@Mapantz can you send me that link to the webite with all the stations by PM TIA 

Posted

Interesting if you overlay the air pressure on the NW radar map how the showers are almost running down the tram lines a good consistency between precipitation and pressure. DP is now 0.4C so that’ll change things if they fall, of course bearing in mind upper air temps and evaporative cooling and...

Posted
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

About 10 minutes down the road from you and it was 75% heavy rain and the rest large flakes.

Can't believe it really; model consensus, TV forecasts and general theory all support snow here today based on projections but it seems something isn't quite what it was meant to be this morning.

I suspect jy is even closer to you and it sounds like he did better than both of us.

Posted

Ah now heres the thing jtay I have to go to the Yew Tree in about an hour [essential gardening advice] lol,before going to purchase silly priced flower bulbs in Salisbury,so who knows might see more snow showers in 2 hours than many previous winters lol

Posted
1 minute ago, jtay said:

I suspect jy is even closer to you and it sounds like he did better than both of us.

Showers of such intensity have distinct updrafts and downdrafts and I wonder if that made all the difference with this one; updraft = rain (or soft hail if you're lucky), downdraft = snow as cold air descends from aloft.

Oh well.

prectypeuktopo.png

Maybe Monday will make up for it... :shok:

Posted

As for Singularitys luck with rain,if hes near Fordingbridge then im just a bit higher up,might have made a tiny difference,suns out now,but I love the regioals if stuffs happening,because its real,we are not looking at day 10 charts,we are looking at the sky lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, jy said:

Ah now heres the thing jtay I have to go to the Yew Tree in about an hour [essential gardening advice] lol,before going to purchase silly priced flower bulbs in Salisbury,so who knows might see more snow showers in 2 hours than many previous winters lol

If you're not fussy, I would have thought that In-Excess would be giving bulbs away at the moment.

Posted
1 minute ago, jy said:

As for Singularitys luck with rain,if hes near Fordingbridge then im just a bit higher up,might have made a tiny difference,suns out now,but I love the regioals if stuffs happening,because its real,we are not looking at day 10 charts,we are looking at the sky lol

Yes I'm just into the New Forest from there. Not far from a 100m hill which I now wish I was on top of... coffee break couldn't come soon enough for this one :laugh: