Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
12 minutes ago, matt111 said:

No only 27mph here which is 7mph short of my record. I'd imagine I would if it was more exposed though. 

That's a shame.

I keep getting regular gusts above 40mph, which isn't bad for here. But, sustained winds are always tough to get, 22mph is my highest tonight. If the wind speeds were as high this afternoon (which were forecast to be) I may have broken my wind run record. 

I'm hoping I may sneak a higher gust if any of that rain can make it this way.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just reached 15°C...at almost 11pm in November. :nonono:

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Just reached 15°C...at almost 11pm in November. :nonono:

LOL I know, right.. It's 15.5°C here at the moment,  that's the same as the daytime max that I recorded on the 29th June. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

LOL I know, right.. It's 15.5°C here at the moment,  that's the same as the daytime max that I recorded on the 29th June. :D

Catching up. 15.2°C. :D

• Like 1

Posted

Sudden drop in temperature here and the wind seems to be picking up. 

Posted

Highest gust of the day now 29mph. Temperature dropped from 15.2°C to 14.1°C in 10 minutes. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Wahhhh ..

radar2.thumb.png.2777a7d38a9744a0a65817d9d909a273.png

Looks like it's intensified quite rapidly in the last 30 minutes. 

Posted

Ah, some rain. It was a bit like someone chucked a bucket of water across the window, it was pretty much a start/stop affair.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Ah, some rain. It was a bit like someone chucked a bucket of water across the window, it was pretty much a start/stop affair.

Just had exactly the same here. Lasted about 3 seconds. 

Posted

I've just noticed the drop in temperature since that rain arrived.. 2°C in ten minutes.

TemperatureDay.thumb.png.80925793f81d4ac8449607b669ab74f1.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Amazing Cloud formation over Reading this morn. Is there a name for these types?  Like true sea waves 

A726F5B5-AB0E-4240-A15F-075001BDA28E.jpeg

D4EB7281-6C87-4992-8294-E59F8E1F49E9.jpeg

5961C448-8A51-4BE4-B6C2-5389B572AC35.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Did not get much of the predicted stronger winds here.
As others, temp was 15.2c here at 11pm after a day of 14c to 15c.
A couple of 41 mph gusts around 11pm and over the evening and early morning most gusts were 30-35mph. Wind speed was 20 to 25mph at that time too.
Rain only hit here between 1am to 3am of 5.2mm

Now very sunny and blue skies
9.2c, 999.3 hPa, WSW 9 to 18mph with a few 25mph gusts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle

Light snow forecast for Shaftesbury tonight at 2am :cold: according to BBC weather......

• Like 2

Posted

A grand total of 1.2 mm from yesterday's rain! Sunny but windy now, gusting to 30mph. Temp: 11.9°C

As for tonight's limp attempt at producing wintry precip, I thought i'd put up some various hi-res charts..

Arpege:

arpege.thumb.png.274f5a410b96ab70a87a85cc5f2ff7b0.png

Icon:

icon.thumb.png.0ec51b013ffa7f9ec5b67005a1deaa88.png

Hirlam:

hirlam.thumb.png.11d3b0a472024beda946ea0db03cd665.png

EWN:

ewn.thumb.png.16d3bc4e47719b327b17ec0b4f77a04a.png

NetWx-SR:

netwxsr.thumb.png.409daaac94575539171eced5f28d9f6e.png

Euro4:

euro4.thumb.gif.8c8ebdaa82c74deb2b9e6c415a6793f3.gif

Not to be taken at face value, of course. They all show slightly different timings and positions of how far North the precip is.  The MetO forecast just shows a few hours of light rain/drizzle here, so either way, nothing particularly exciting.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Amazing Cloud formation over Reading this morn. Is there a name for these types?  Like true sea waves 

A726F5B5-AB0E-4240-A15F-075001BDA28E.jpeg

D4EB7281-6C87-4992-8294-E59F8E1F49E9.jpeg

5961C448-8A51-4BE4-B6C2-5389B572AC35.jpeg

Kelvin Helmholtz clouds, you'll have to research for further info. Beautiful photos!

• Thanks 1

Posted

1.0mm last night with all the heavier rain missing here. Max gust equalled my previous highest of 34mph. Sunny and breezy now. 12.2°C.

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Interesting week in the local area looking at snow forecasts. Start of the week a few flakes for the highest tors were forecast so anything above 500 metres, as the week progressed princetown at 400 metres were forecast sleet and then upgraded to snow. Into today and the snow threat has increased to further down the hill to 200 metres at my location. Quite a turnaround......alas though in the last hour the snow threat has gone back up the hill to princetown. So early taste of winter for the moors. The best location will be the moors exposed to the north west so Yes Tor High Willays Great Mis Tor all look good for some white stuff friday into saturday.

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Afternoon all, what a vile day and night it was yesterday, blowing an absolute hoolie with lots of rain. Yuk! Turned blinking cold here now, no idea what the actual temperature is but it feels mighty cold compared to of late.. Any idea if there's a glimmer of hope for falling snow around these parts over the weekend? Doing a Christmas fair and it would be the icing on the cake if we got a few flurries.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Netweather gives me a 29% chance of snow between 3 and 6am tonight. That was a surprise! What with lamppost watching and the Ashes I shall probably be good for nothing tomorrow:oops:

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Afternoon all, what a vile day and night it was yesterday, blowing an absolute hoolie with lots of rain. Yuk! Turned blinking cold here now, no idea what the actual temperature is but it feels mighty cold compared to of late.. Any idea if there's a glimmer of hope for falling snow around these parts over the weekend? Doing a Christmas fair and it would be the icing on the cake if we got a few flurries.

30 minutes ago, katemart said:

Netweather gives me a 29% chance of snow between 3 and 6am tonight. That was a surprise! What with lamppost watching and the Ashes I shall probably be good for nothing tomorrow:oops:

Welcome back! For the Winter? :)

• Like 1