Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
2 hours ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

A funny ol day weather wise .in the middle of the night it was very very blustery, dawn it was v grey , then brightened up considerably . Now grey and a breeze picking up . 

Looking forward to the weekend and the weather . 

Pretty much sums up today here as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
6 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Probably best to stay off the water tomorrow and hide your boat in a safe place... :help:

landsend.thumb.png.bbd4cbf83c74a2d9ca8e58cf410efca1.pngselsey.thumb.png.506201b1d2fa99ad384d6888d3ccbbcc.png

Nar.. 9 is ok for the Solent.. just a good old fashioned stiff breeze ha ha! I remember being out on the harbour in an 8.. 

in the harbour.. not sailing mind ha ha!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Not so moderate rain here ! I do hope that everyone stats safe for tomorrow , but also I hope that the weather can be enjoyed whatever you are up to this weekend . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.
32 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Nar.. 9 is ok for the Solent.. just a good old fashioned stiff breeze ha ha! I remember being out on the harbour in an 8.. 

in the harbour.. not sailing mind ha ha!! 

I agree Polar bear, to my mind it doesn't get interesting until at least a Force 10. I am surprised this 'storm' has been so over-hyped. Surely Storms start out at Force 10 and severe storm at Force 11. It always used to be that Force 9 was just a strong gale, certainly NOT a storm! I remember coming through the Bay of Biscay in a Force 10, now THAT was fun, once we were allowed up on deck at least!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 hour ago, coldfingers1 said:

I agree Polar bear, to my mind it doesn't get interesting until at least a Force 10. I am surprised this 'storm' has been so over-hyped. Surely Storms start out at Force 10 and severe storm at Force 11. It always used to be that Force 9 was just a strong gale, certainly NOT a storm! I remember coming through the Bay of Biscay in a Force 10, now THAT was fun, once we were allowed up on deck at least!

I think the Main reason is the timing. High tide, deep low, strong winds, people need to be warned. Not that it works mind :nonono:

agreed it will feel fairly average autumnal weather, maybe top end of average scale, but ultimately we will feel more of a brunt from Brian than Ophelia.

high tide and big waves is dangerous. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.
Just now, karlos1983 said:

I think the Main reason is the timing. High tide, deep low, strong winds, people need to be warned. Not that it works mind :nonono:

agreed it will feel fairly average autumnal weather, maybe top end of average scale, but ultimately we will feel more of a brunt from Brian than Ophelia.

high tide and big waves is dangerous. 

Especially as it is half-term and people not used to coastal conditions will be down at the coast and likely taking stupid risks!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Winds tonight are intriguing. I had a 41mph gust earlier in the evening, and it has sounded like some beasts have come through since - hearing lots of things falling over. However, my anemometer isn't in sync with it, only just managing 30mph at the moment. It's as if the winds seem higher closer to the surface, rather than the 10m which my anemometer is situated at. I've seen this quite a few times in the past. Every wind storm has different characteristics!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

It hammered down about ten minutes ago and the wind has been howling on and off all night . 

The netweathe rrsdar showing small,  intense  bursts dotted all over the place . An interesting day. To come methinks. 

Posted
7 hours ago, coldfingers1 said:

Especially as it is half-term and people not used to coastal conditions will be down at the coast and likely taking stupid risks!

Actually you’ve both valid points. Seems now a days far more people don’t respect the sea. Brought up on the coast and on the sea with sailing there is a respect and understanding, wisdom even. Hence loving the force 10 and 9’s! But you are right uk coast far more accessible to those that don’t know it so well or have listened to the stories of others about the risks. The warnings come through the internet now and social media. Because if the blame culture maybe then it is hyped up? 

Anyway, it still feels quiet here, although i think I can here the wind in the trees far away .. which is weird as I am elevated and normally you know there’s are gales cos the houses is noisy. Unless it is in storm sort of shelter from something and I can’t think what.. or maybe simply we have a bit more time until the gales start. Dunno. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Winds tonight are intriguing. I had a 41mph gust earlier in the evening, and it has sounded like some beasts have come through since - hearing lots of things falling over. However, my anemometer isn't in sync with it, only just managing 30mph at the moment. It's as if the winds seem higher closer to the surface, rather than the 10m which my anemometer is situated at. I've seen this quite a few times in the past. Every wind storm has different characteristics!

Mapantz... yep even though I am probably far more inland than you.. I know what you mean. I could hear a racket of what sounded like wind rushing through trees in the distance but no winds near the house. I’m fairly elevated over newbury so you do tend to get the winds. It almost felt like being sheltered.  I just thought it was me imagining I could hear it all. But it did cross my mind for one fleeting point .. could it be at a higher altitude.. 

Quiet as anything here now. Got to go and sort my friends horses out in a mo so I’ll have a look. It could well be we just were sheltered from a unique direction of the wind! 

Posted
56 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Mapantz... yep even though I am probably far more inland than you.. I know what you mean. I could hear a racket of what sounded like wind rushing through trees in the distance but no winds near the house. I’m fairly elevated over newbury so you do tend to get the winds. It almost felt like being sheltered.  I just thought it was me imagining I could hear it all. But it did cross my mind for one fleeting point .. could it be at a higher altitude.. 

Quiet as anything here now. Got to go and sort my friends horses out in a mo so I’ll have a look. It could well be we just were sheltered from a unique direction of the wind! 

If you hear gusts nearby but not directly over your location they could be associated with a shower passing through that location.

Equally we live right under the Western edge of Salisbury Plain and often hear wind gusting, even howling, on the hills.

So many plausible explanations!

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

If you hear gusts nearby but not directly over your location they could be associated with a shower passing through that location.

Equally we live right under the Western edge of Salisbury Plain and often hear wind gusting, even howling, on the hills.

So many plausible explanations!

Indeed. Local infrastructure, topography, specific wind directions, etc.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Some nice blue skies this morning, not seen that for a few days.

Overnight into early morning, wind was Southerly 6-12mph with a few 20 mph gusts with some occasional light rain showers ovenight.
Wind has picked up a little this morning and moved SSW. 12-18mph with regular 25-30 mph gusts.

Now, 13.8c, 82% humidity and 1003.2 hPa

Some lovely blue skies at the moment, looking West to North;

blueskies.jpg

Edited by lettice

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Indeed. Local infrastructure, topography, specific wind directions, etc.

Of course, thanks Andy, thanks knocker. 

Horses done this morning and it just a really beautiful autumn morning out there. Little breeze but nothing extraordinary... 

Posted

Morning all, a quick check of the harbour webcams shows whilst breezy, nothing exceptional surf wise. The waves occasionally breaking over the cars down by the ferry car park. Waiting for high tide now. Temperature 13.7C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Breezy and sunny. Nice very Autumnal day. 13.4c. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Where is the best place to be one of those idiotic parents who take their kids to see the sea please? :-D

Anywhere really depends where you nearest too. Old Portsmouth harbour wall  is cool. You are a little protected behind the wall and can peek over. Plus it has old cannons in it and then if you time it now get yourself to the Still n West pub where you can get a lovely lunch and look out over the water. Caters for children too

Or there’s west wittering which is a sandy beach.. you prob have to pay though to park. 

Edited by Polar Bear
  • Like 1