Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well the distant lightning did indeed mean something as later in the night we had a few storms around the area.:)

I think it was the first time we have had that US style anvil crawler type lightning, with nice long rumbling soft thunder with loads of vibrant intra-cloud lightning.

It wasn't the most intense storm, but it definitely had the most impressive and beautiful lightning I have ever seen.

Its still mild and humid here now, with some cloud around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
4 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

I truly hope Ben and Tom Dewey are watching this.

The energy transference through these cells is amazing. Pink cores decaying then reforming and with them the direction of stunning lightning changes from S to E to W.

Some remarkable long rolls of thunder travelling through the sky and also seeing anvil crawlers from the cells Glastonbury way.

Properly reignited over Warminster as of 03.30 with the heaviest rain so far.

Don't worry I was!:D

No way I was going to bed with the distant heat lightning and potential we had yesterday evening.

I was laughing like mad:rofl: at times with when those storms moved in as I wan't expecting to see US type lightning strikes going all across the sky in the form of anvil crawlers.

I've seen that type of lightning on videos before, but never in person. 

Edited by wimblettben
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

No close storms here, saw the lightning in the early hours to the NE/E/SE of here, pretty spectacular for an hour or so.  Grand total of 0.4mm in the gauge, hardly enough to dampen the ground. :wallbash:

Posted

After a glorious sunny day, it did get cloudy in the evening but no rain here until 11pm to 1am, when we had 10.8mm in total.
The wind certainly picked up during that stormy time to 16mph with some 20--23mph gusts.
Did not hear any thunder through the evening and if there was any overnight just slept through it.

Wind is back to 4-6mph now, 19.6c, 1004.6 hPa with milky skies.

Posted

That was an intense 3 hours of storms for a long time. Even better than the storms back in May. The lightning was amazing from a distance, anvil crawlers that ended with CG's, Different colours of lightning, from distant yellows to bright purples, amazing. Had 2 storms that came directly overhead. One at around 1:30ish and a much larger one, albeit shorter in time storm at about 3:00. That last storm gave me the loudest thunder I have ever heard! Every blinding overhead flash was immediately followed by explosive - literally sounded like an explosion- of thunder. You could even hear the split second of crackling before the almighty crash, and the bass! wow, set of a couple of car alarms! Really enjoyed that I can tell you, and summers not over yet!

• Like 4

Posted

I was pretty surprised how wrong the 18z EURO4 was last night the storms was kicking off by 6pm and it still didn't get to grips with the precip on the south coast, wonder why it struggled at such a short time frame. Although the winter has told me to not follow this chart with every run it puts out leading to the event. 

Edited by Zephyr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A funny ol' one regarding rain. There was some huge totals for Southern counties, yet I amassed 4.4mm lol

596f2eec4bf56_2017-07-19(6).thumb.png.e4aa8a9eefbbe959931db3ac5ee14933.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not quite as impressive as the May storms here as we had the lot in May from a direct hit. Nonetheless, notable storm last night with some lovely lightning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Thunder wasn't as loud as the storm back in May, even when some lightning strikes were right above but I was seeing loads more lightning in that storm last night compared to the May storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
4 hours ago, tornadomanuk said:

That was an intense 3 hours of storms for a long time. Even better than the storms back in May. The lightning was amazing from a distance, anvil crawlers that ended with CG's, Different colours of lightning, from distant yellows to bright purples, amazing. Had 2 storms that came directly overhead. One at around 1:30ish and a much larger one, albeit shorter in time storm at about 3:00. That last storm gave me the loudest thunder I have ever heard! Every blinding overhead flash was immediately followed by explosive - literally sounded like an explosion- of thunder. You could even hear the split second of crackling before the almighty crash, and the bass! wow, set of a couple of car alarms! Really enjoyed that I can tell you, and summers not over yet!

Yes, it was a brilliant night. , a slow burner and as you said much better than May, and that was a good one . 

The thunder when it got its act together was very powerful and a tad scary at times . The lightning was amazing too with all types of lightning making an appearance . Very happy. 

Still muggy ish here with the sun poking through . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

A funny ol' one regarding rain. There was some huge totals for Southern counties, yet I amassed 4.4mm lol

596f2eec4bf56_2017-07-19(6).thumb.png.e4aa8a9eefbbe959931db3ac5ee14933.png

33.6mm from both storms combined, 21.8mm alone from the second one and that fell in just under 2 hours. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Interesting rainfall figures,some big totals,here skirting the New Forest not enough rain to cover the base of a wheelbarrow and dry under tree canopies,pub hanging baskets needed watering this morning,but some great stories around the region,Barton on Sea not that far from here,but what a difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Seems like I was under one of the heavier blobs showing on the radar. My dad came back from walking the dog not long ago and said the field down the road is partially flooded as the stream that runs through it has overflowed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

More rain this evening and temperature 19 C . 

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

It's currently raining heavier than it was last night. lol

Would be something if rains heavier than last night here. :rofl:

Posted

Garden soaking wet, walked just 20 yards and it's bone dry. Change is the name of the game, how different these days have been this week.

Currently 15.1°C, RH 90 %

Posted

Grey and cloudy this morning.
Did have some light rain early morning and just after midnight, 0.6mm since midnight.
Was 18.3c at midnight after a day of being around 19c to 20c. It is  now 15.4c after hitting a low of 15c 8:30am
Wind has moved WNW and has increased to 10mph this morning  with some 18mph gusts, 1006.9 hPa and 93% humidity.