Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Thunder, lightning and rain here on and off for the past hour. Electric circuit breaker been tripping since about 4pm. Had to go out to eat because the oven wasn't working!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Yep it sure has ! Well kicking off . Looks like very heavy rain to come for a time too . 

Was about to drift off to sleep due to an almighty horrible headache when a couple of flashes caught my eye . 

Its slow going going . But lightning is getting stronger and rumbles deepening . :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

It's great here, going nuts both east and west with the odd bit thrown in directly overhead, but that stuff to my SE is something else.. It's going absolutely bat s*** crazy over there. Someone's having fun..

Posted

Very distant lightning to the Southern quadrant of the sky. Sporadic rain falling and stars shining. 

Any ideas why lots of the activity has died as storms make landfall? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Very loud rumbles again, house shaking.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Strangely the lightning detector on the radar suggests that the lightning fizzled as it approached Exeter, but in fact there's been a lot of lightning around here, especially just to the south, during the past two hours, not so much to the north.  Probably the most spectacular thunderstorm that I've seen since the 18 July 2012 one in Norwich.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Over 3 hours of an awesome lightning display. What surprised me, was the lack of rainfall here. Can't have it all! I'll put my collaboration on here tomorrow, if I can find time. ZzzZzz's needed now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

I'm really in awe of this storm. It's been extremely intense for a decent duration, and it's still going strong here with almost continuous lightning.

Similar here with not much rain. One heavy shower earlier on, but light to moderate mainly, or nothing at all.

Best I've seen in a long, long while, and I've been reasonably lucky this year.

Posted

Crazy storm over the South East at the moment I'm just a tad bit jealous :sorry: I'm pretty interested in the cell crossing over Well's area at the moment in the hope of seeing something atlest. 

Posted

Storm nearing here with plenty of sheet lightning and a few anvil crawlers. Have also seen pulse type flashes from the top of the storm further West.

Ben from Mere, I hope you're watching as a pink core is heading straight for Mere on the 02.25 radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Plenty of flashes to my s/se, thunder heard  too. 

Posted

I truly hope Ben and Tom Dewey are watching this.

The energy transference through these cells is amazing. Pink cores decaying then reforming and with them the direction of stunning lightning changes from S to E to W.

Some remarkable long rolls of thunder travelling through the sky and also seeing anvil crawlers from the cells Glastonbury way.

Properly reignited over Warminster as of 03.30 with the heaviest rain so far.

Posted

Flashes to the sw/s/se now, can't see this missing here, almost constant rumbles in the distance too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Thunder and lightning happening now in Peasedown St John . No Rain...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Downpour of rain now included with the thunder and lightning....

Posted

Seen a few strikes of lightning now and that thunder is getting louder and louder deffo going to be over head next 20 mins or so

Posted

That's around 90 minutes so far with thunder & lightning, not bad going..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Been thundering for the best part of 4-5 hours from various directions. Had good visuals on lightning to the west and south, then southeast and more recently the cell from the southwest. A thunderstorm has just passed through here with good t&l and some torrential rain.

Posted

Getting the dying embers of the storm that hit Somerset. Couple of flashes and bangs and large blobs of rain. Doesn't look to be lasting long unfortunately.

John in Quedgeley, Gloucester

Posted
4 hours ago, Climate_Eyes said:

I'm really in awe of this storm. It's been extremely intense for a decent duration, and it's still going strong here with almost continuous lightning.

Similar here with not much rain. One heavy shower earlier on, but light to moderate mainly, or nothing at all.

Best I've seen in a long, long while, and I've been reasonably lucky this year.

Ha! Someone put in a shift.

I've never known lightning for that duration, especially without the thunder to go with it. Off to check the water butt...

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

I truly hope Ben and Tom Dewey are watching this.

The energy transference through these cells is amazing. Pink cores decaying then reforming and with them the direction of stunning lightning changes from S to E to W.

Some remarkable long rolls of thunder travelling through the sky and also seeing anvil crawlers from the cells Glastonbury way.

Properly reignited over Warminster as of 03.30 with the heaviest rain so far.

I hope they stayed up for it too Andy. Great stuff.

Posted

Finally, so rainfall overnight some of it torrential with readings of 3mm / minute during the early hours. Now for a change of direction and fresh air, please...

Currently 18.1°C 

RH 90%