Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Hardly any rain here yet.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

3.9mm so far today and more on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's raining quite heavy now. I have the windows wide open, as there's not a breath of wind. It's nice to hear it beating down on the shed roofs. :)

• Like 1

Posted

A bit late, but Thursday had a min of -2.7C (despite a couple cloud patches later in the night). 
Friday was generally overcast.
Yesterday morning mostly cloudy, then mostly sunny.

It was already not going to be my driest April on the 1st, as we had 10.8mm from showers, however between the 3rd (0.8mm) and today there was less than 2mm.

Today we've had 9.4mm of mainly moderate rain but one very brief torrential burst, before it turned light and then stopped later.

Light rain has started again now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Wonderfully heavy rain on the conservatory roof - a sound I have missed . Hoping my sweet peas will benefit .

tohught I heard some rumbles but perhaps I have imagined it . 

Im in Somerset btw. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

I can concur its raining blooming hard as i write this under the canvass. Typical dry spring and we go camping it pours. Looking at the radar its pivoting too. And Dartmouth is in the sweet spot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Now up to 3.6mm today which is already over half of the rest of the month put together.

Edited by matt111

Posted

When we had that burst of heavier rain earlier, the forecast showed no rain for here. Now its showing heavy rain from now until 2am, yet the radar clearly shows quite a large dry area. Yesterday and today's forecasts have been absolute calamities of the highest kind.

Posted

Not quite the rain I was expecting from the forecasts.
We had 1mm around 2pm and then 2.2mm between 6pm and 10pm.
So with that 3.2mm yesterday, the total for the months was 8.2mm.

Compared with the last four years of April;
April 2016 = 48.6mm
April 2015 = 14.8mm
April 2014 = 60.2mm
April 2013 = 36.8mm

"Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote"
When April with its sweet-smelling showers
Has pierced the drought of March to the root
- From The Canterbury Tales.

Stayed gusty through the evening with SSE 20-25mph gusts on a 15mph wind and stayed around 10c for the night and got to 9.7c at 3:30am
Now its verty grey skies, wind has died down to 2-5mph SE.
9.9c, 998.9 hPa and 89% humidity.

Edited by lettice

Posted

One word describes the weather here at the moment, lousy. Ns and St, slight rain, temp 9C and wind westerly gusting 40mph. It can only get better.

Posted

Still raining moderately to heavyish, some heavy rain last night (though just SW and S of me keeps getting more).

According to the Davis, 21.2mm yesterday and 15.0mm sine midnight, so quite a dollop after very little for nearly a month.

What time it's going to stop, as often seems to happen, depends on whether you watch the local forecast (about 9am with the band pushing south quicker) or national forecast (about 3pm)... Though the radar suggests the local may be closer to the mark.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

The dryness continues, just 2mm in my gauge at midnight and a further 1mm this morning which is the sum total of what looked set to be a wet 12 to 18 hours. April's total only 5mm so definitely the driest ever month for me (since 2005) and just 13mm in the last 39 days!

Posted

11.8mm since 09.00GMT yesterday, better wait for same time to come again before I do the stats!  However, that total is more than double the rest of the month put together and still rates as the third driest April since 2000.  It seems to be pulling away south quite quickly according to the radar and it's currently sitting to the S&W of me, whether it comes back north again we shall have to wait to see.  Sun's shining at the moment.

Posted

The rain appears to be marching south a lot quicker than the original forecasts for today suggested, so the last two days have been marred by some inaccurate assessments by the forecasters.

Posted

Well, had a total of 2.2mm, which brings my monthly total to 4.2mm, the ground is parched and the crops I grow are in desperate need of rain, things are not looking great for us farmers if we dont get rain soon.

Posted

7mm fell yesterday, and  a further 1.4mm since midnight. There's some decent convection going on today, with some dark bases on clouds out to the East - hoping for something later on.

Temp: 13.9°C - Hum: 69% - Dew: 8.3°C - Bar: 1002.81hPa - Wind: E ~ SSE @ 8mph.

Posted

Nice view of a shower appearing on my cam. I'm not sure we'll get anything spectacular though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very rumbly storm has just moved southwards just to my east, so plenty of thunder heard and some good lightning seen but sadly not the intensity of the rainfall of 5-10 miles further east.

• Like 2

Posted

Torrential downpour in Bournemouth about 30mins or so ago, with a single flash of lightning and the accompanying rumble of thunder. Mean while at home we did mange to pick up 08.mm of rainfall. Watching the cell progress SSW. To the west of Wareham a potent cell is now dying, wonder if Mapantz could hear anything from that one?

Posted

Thunder  here and suddenly v humid. The sun is warm now we're in May = moreconvective instability aloft :) downpour now.

Posted
41 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Torrential downpour in Bournemouth about 30mins or so ago, with a single flash of lightning and the accompanying rumble of thunder. Mean while at home we did mange to pick up 08.mm of rainfall. Watching the cell progress SSW. To the west of Wareham a potent cell is now dying, wonder if Mapantz could hear anything from that one?

Heard nowt here. Just had a 0.2mm from a small shower, that's been it. Very disappointing in terms of rainfall. In fact, if you go back to Frday & Saturday's forecast, you could easily have written of Sunday and Monday, when they actually turned out to be pretty good, especially today.

I'm rather surprised at the lack of shower activity that is spiraling around the LP, its very sparse.

Posted

The rain stopped about 9am, with a total of 41.4mm from this event. From the radar and a few weather stations, it appears a few miles west/more SW of me had a bit more especially around Exmouth, possibly over 50mm.

I came across several large puddles/flooding spots that were only passable with care this morning, and a manhole cover lifted.

So a good dollop around here at least.

Actually turned into a better day than expected though, a nice afternoon reaching 16.3C. Though any showers/thunder have missed here.