Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Out and about today and it's not often you see the car reading -3 going through the centre of Glasgow in the middle of the day.

Just back in and car was reading -8.5  which is pretty good going for 8pm and no snow cover.

Doubt the activity in the northwest will reach me but the Netweather forecast currently has me down for rain turning to snow on Wednesday. The met office sticks with rain with thunder however. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Just a quick question, where can I find a good link to a radar ?

I just use this:

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

I have the Android app but it's really just this in an app. Postcode zoom and precipitation type are really useful.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Just a quick question, where can I find a good link to a radar ?

Look in my signature, the file is a local html page with many sites, radars etc

-5 here, trying to defrost my feet as was out earlier changing front wheel bearing for my MOT.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

its a very cold night here with temp at -12c as i speak with 3 inches of snow on the ground who knows what it will be at dawn it hasn't been as cold as this for a good couple of years but it does look short lived milder weather being forecast from mid week onwards:cold:

Posted

Light to moderate snow here again with  a fresh sparkly  covering settling on all ground now its frozen hard from last nights frost. Currently the high of the day at 0c.

• Like 1

Moderate snow just started falling and looking at the radar some heavy stuff is head right for my house. kids will be happy with another day off school.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Ice day here, just, maxed at 0C. Does that count? It was saying 0.0C, which could in theory be up to 0.04C above? :cc_confused:

Anyway it was def an ice day up Glen Affric, got no more than -4C on the car thermometer and it was going down again at dusk.

I was pretty much on the tourist trail all day and saw virtually no-one else apart from a pro photographer. We had a good chat, ie I distracted him while he tried to get the sunset...

5a2dafeed5e34_iciclesstarmoss.thumb.jpg.272ceba409675227d2b935889240b45f.jpg  icicles.thumb.jpg.1e26d3ac107c8a8ce36d2bd993df367f.jpg  5a2daff4577df_icyfern.thumb.jpg.128ca9b692cdc8449e785fd41d0cd67b.jpg  5a2daff6c1cf3_icyhead.thumb.jpg.eaf482f9b04b2e6ea1e00592157e1e0a.jpg

5a2daff93bf62_rivertrees.thumb.jpg.94abd0c42847226ad4bfbe1d9bf15848.jpg  5a2daffbacaae_treessnow.thumb.jpg.beacdb042bc73e01541e93f2114e6e80.jpg  5a2daffe1e3a5_verysnowytrees.thumb.jpg.13a28f149ae65e74f055aed56ce4eeaf.jpg

The icicle ones were on a north facing track side and it was rather chilly just there. Different formations each freezing spell I go there, wonderful to see. The others are Strathglass, looking stunning with powder snow sticking to almost all surfaces even in the middle of the day.  Best day out for a while - got photos and had a good walk too.

We got a short spell of light snow an hour ago but it wasn't as much as the radar suggested, just a dusting really.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-3'C here and that's the snow arrived as forecast. Only light at the moment but forecast to be heavy for a couple hours between 11PM-1AM. All really pilling up with big icicles on the roofs! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Ice day here, just, maxed at 0C. Does that count? It was saying 0.0C, which could in theory be up to 0.04C above? :cc_confused:

Anyway it was def an ice day up Glen Affric, got no more than -4C on the car thermometer and it was going down again at dusk.

I was pretty much on the tourist trail all day and saw virtually no-one else apart from a pro photographer. We had a good chat, ie I distracted him while he tried to get the sunset...

5a2dafeed5e34_iciclesstarmoss.thumb.jpg.272ceba409675227d2b935889240b45f.jpg  icicles.thumb.jpg.1e26d3ac107c8a8ce36d2bd993df367f.jpg  5a2daff4577df_icyfern.thumb.jpg.128ca9b692cdc8449e785fd41d0cd67b.jpg  5a2daff6c1cf3_icyhead.thumb.jpg.eaf482f9b04b2e6ea1e00592157e1e0a.jpg

5a2daff93bf62_rivertrees.thumb.jpg.94abd0c42847226ad4bfbe1d9bf15848.jpg  5a2daffbacaae_treessnow.thumb.jpg.beacdb042bc73e01541e93f2114e6e80.jpg  5a2daffe1e3a5_verysnowytrees.thumb.jpg.13a28f149ae65e74f055aed56ce4eeaf.jpg

The icicle ones were on a north facing track side and it was rather chilly just there. Different formations each freezing spell I go there, wonderful to see. The others are Strathglass, looking stunning with powder snow sticking to almost all surfaces even in the middle of the day.  Best day out for a while - got photos and had a good walk too.

We got a short spell of light snow an hour ago but it wasn't as much as the radar suggested, just a dusting really.

Some stunning pictures here mate..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

-7.8c at Bishopton, which usually is biased towards being slightly milder than surrounding area...

ok so that band passed thru quickly but has left a good top up, according to the BBC more snow to come early hours. just had a quick look outside as I type and its snowing again but radar is clear.

Edited by Guest

Posted

Anyone else think that system to the north is looking a bit more hefty than forecast? Fair bit of precipitation about and marching well inland without much hassle!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Anyone else think that system to the north is looking a bit more hefty than forecast? Fair bit of precipitation about and marching well inland without much hassle!

Maybe but it passed here with barely a second glance so perhaps it's not all that the radar is making out? On the other hand, some of the traffic cams are showing falling snow.

F nose.

Watching another episode of 'Fortitude' this evening (season 2 on dvd), getting more and more bizarre but very nice and snowy.  Is there a medical term for snow addiction?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Maybe but it passed here with barely a second glance so perhaps it's not all that the radar is making out? On the other hand, some of the traffic cams are showing falling snow.

F nose.

Watching another episode of 'Fortitude' this evening (season 2 on dvd), getting more and more bizarre but very nice and snowy.  Is there a medical term for snow addiction?

just googled snow addiction and nothing came up of a medical nature...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Decent wee cold spell on the go and guaranteed to keep going as I'm out of the country this week, working in Dubai.

The dusting of snow at home has lasted well. Overnight low of -8.0C and a max of -3.4C so the first ice day of the season. Already down to -6.5C according to the online weather station. 

Flew out from a freezing fogbound Glasvegas Airport this arvo - the white patch in the distance in this snap. Enjoy the cauld, fellow kilters! 

IMG_20171210_1355229.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, More Snow said:

just googled snow addiction and nothing came up of a medical nature...

That's a relief. Perhaps I'm sane after all.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

F nose.

That was light and patchy (had some nice d'awww snowfall which covered everything in a light sparkly coating) - it's the heavier stuff to the north over Sutherland that's caught my eye!

Not to mention the stuff out west which looks like it might be heading towards Glasgow? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
46 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

F nose.

i gave up on season 2.....it made Lost seem sensible..... season 1 was intriguing but i left the wife at about episode 6 and she finished solo.... the scenery was certainly stunning

• Like 1