Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

31 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I'd say you'll be seeing snow by mid afternoon. Won't be lying at first of course but the mercury will only be going one way. You're in for a wintry blustery day tomorrow! Enjoy man :)

Hope so!

Thanks man, will take a trip up to Cairngorm if I get impatient. 

Feeding the reindeer midday ish so hopeful of starting to see sleet by then given it's up a hill and we start at over 300m asl before said hill.

I have Friday here too so should be fine! 

I'm sure you'll see something too my man but might be more like Friday Morning.

Praying for that slider to make it to Dumfries as March 2013 was just incredible. I've seen the legendary photos of Feb 96 too (although lived at 2/300m asl back them)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@SW Saltire the 18z GFS looks like it's proving you right...damn you. At least if I end up being wrong I may get some snow out of it, I should have said it was reverse psychology.

18z a big improvement! It'll change every 6hrs between now and Sunday though :D

• Like 1

Would just like to highlight that I am awaiting a new set of winter tyres from Oponeo. In the last few years this action has been sufficient to kill any snow/cold weather stone dead. However they are not due to arrive until Friday by the time they'll be fitted it will be next week.

Decided even the mid life crisis car needed winter boots this year !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
36 minutes ago, West Highland Storm said:

Would just like to highlight that I am awaiting a new set of winter tyres from Oponeo. In the last few years this action has been sufficient to kill any snow/cold weather stone dead. However they are not due to arrive until Friday by the time they'll be fitted it will be next week.

Decided even the mid life crisis car needed winter boots this year !

Friday delivery? You'll be lucky - oh the irony of not being able to use your car because snow stopped delivery of your winter tyres!

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Hope so!

Thanks man, will take a trip up to Cairngorm if I get impatient. 

Feeding the reindeer midday ish so hopeful of starting to see sleet by then given it's up a hill and we start at over 300m asl before said hill.

I have Friday here too so should be fine! 

I'm sure you'll see something too my man but might be more like Friday Morning.

Praying for that slider to make it to Dumfries as March 2013 was just incredible. I've seen the legendary photos of Feb 96 too (although lived at 2/300m asl back them)

Ive got a fair bit of altitude so expecting snow early evening Thursday. Think even sea level parts of the city as forecast heavy snow from around 7/8pm. We tend to do well from NWrlys and Northerlies. Fingers crossed and wish us luck! 

Don't mean to keep posting these charts on every run because they do inevitably change on the next run but yet again there's potential showing for Sunday for a decent portion of Scotland, especially the central belt, lothians and down towards the borders. Also being reflected in the MetO forecast for my location for the same time which can't be a bad sign across different models. 

IMG_7036.PNG

IMG_7037.PNG

IMG_7038.PNG

IMG_7039.PNG

IMG_7040.PNG

IMG_7041.PNG

IMG_7042.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 4

high winds and heavy rain here buckets getting blown about hard to believe with the current temp of 11c it will fall to below freezing here by 6pm this evening:bomb: wait i just heard an almighty bang outside i will carefully take a noisy:bomb:

Edited by igloo
9 hours ago, 101_North said:

18z a big improvement! It'll change every 6hrs between now and Sunday though :D

LOL - all change on the 00z :D

prectypeuktopo.png

This is pretty much what I expect sadly!

DQbJKWLVoAAVdBj.thumb.jpg.e892451c48fd7d2d34b57e1a55556550.jpg

Edited by 101_North
  • Sad 1
42 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Hope everyone up North is safe and you all hang on to your roofs. It's windy enough down here in the central belt so I imagine it's "blowing a hooley" further up. 

Relatively calm at the moment which is a bit surprising. Just checked several forecasts for my area and wind speeds downgraded considerably. It's certainly a bit blustery but I've heard a lot worse! However, it's early yet, things may change as the day goes on!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Relatively calm at the moment which is a bit surprising. Just checked several forecasts for my area and wind speeds downgraded considerably. It's certainly a bit blustery but I've heard a lot worse! However, it's early yet, things may change as the day goes on!

Same here, we're supposed to be getting 50mph gusts by now but it's nothing like that outside. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Much the same here (NW mainland).  I think the strongest gusts, so far, occurred during the wee small hours.

Morning all,

currently 6c, strongest gust 59mph, fairly clear skies and actually quite a bright morning, wind not bad between gusts averaging 34mph.  Nothing out of the ordinary here yet for my location, we shall see what the day brings.

Stay safe folks:cold:

• Like 1

120MPH gust on Cairngorms summit earlier.:shok:

Mean wind speed 75mph .gosh

Hows it looking at ground level up there 

Edited by SLEETY

Not that windy here overnight either, oddly. 45mph top gust. Pushed up over 11C in the early hours but down to 4.7C now and looks likely to stay dry for the next few days......annoyingly! Happy for my snow-starved family in the English Midlands, though. Some of them haven't seen a snowflake for nearly five years!