Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Ha, so it wasn't just here then.  Had exactly the same Yellow to orange sky here, was actually on the phone to my sis when it went yellow and I mentioned that it looked snowy to her.  As Hairy Celt said, temps are way too high, but an odd coloured sky nonetheless.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

It was really overcast and the hillside was yellow. Then turned to orange, def odd. Like looking through a Quality Street wrapper lol

Dirty European air perhaps? Yay, we voted Brexit, we won't have to interact with their weather soon :angry:

Posted

Finished liting winter store of neeps for inside cattle in perfect ground and weather conditions today.  Cows go out every day to a row of neeps behind an electric fence so only hard freezing conditions stop them from eating.Big relief all round. Load of concentrate feed here late afternoon. If weather is bad later this week then we are mostly under cover feeding cattle.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

STV going for snowier conditions than Auntie. Wonder who'll be closer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
18 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

They'll both be wrong. Stupid TV or Biased bum-bumping Cronies.

I'm not having a good day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Although Falkirk sits just outside of the current Met Office  weather warning area I can confirm we'll actually get a right pasting. This is because I've booked the day off to go Xmas shopping and have a sneaky lunch with Mr Snowidea while the kids are in school. So just like people fitting winter tyres jinxes the cold, I've now jinxed my lovely planned kid free day off by guaranteeing so much snow the school will be closed :drunk-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Looks like I might see some snaw in Oslo the morn.

https://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Oslo/Oslo/Oslo/

Will try and bring some back with me on Thursday.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest GFS now has Sunday's low further south with the snow risk largely confined to the West.

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

The search for some snow potential for the Edinburgh area continues! Always going to be difficult in these setups.

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Never great for us East of the central belt in these setups is it @101_North - when its N and NW etc? I was planning on some Christmas shopping in Edinburgh at the weekend so at least I don't think the drive should be bad.

However looks like a few on here in the borders (and my folks in the Highlands possibly too) will do well, so please do share your pics, they are always good to see. 

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 2

Posted

Just for fun as these depth chart are generally complete pish :). Doesn't fit with the GFS (and I think UKMO) taking the system on Sunday south.

890D6A76-DD01-4F40-9EAA-2F07C3338B28.jpe

Net Weather model still looking good for Central Belt:

viewimage-30.png.58632ce34f41b579ec014c7

Could be fascinating few days to track the corrections of the system - only Wednesday afterall! Who knows where the system will eventually hit!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A wee bit blustery this morning and so mild! All change tomorrow so best get the rest of my batteries charged up!

• Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

They'll both be wrong. Stupid TV or Biased bum-bumping Cronies.

I'm not having a good day.

New dawn, new day. Met have moved towards STV in their forecast.

• Like 1

Posted

Just occurred to me when looking at some of the upper air charts - are we not in polar low territory from tomorrow night for a couple days? They're rare, of course, but you never know.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
17 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

They both run off Met Office data

Posted

Along with Storm force winds, gusts over 90mph, the following blizzards, there will be large waves and risk of flooding. More details http://media.sepa.org.uk/statements/2017/flooding-situation-6-december-2017/  From SEPA

0612sepatw.png

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office have now upgraded storm to Amber warning. Hhhmmmmm, that's a wee bit worrying! :help::cold::shok:

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

They both run off Met Office data

Interesting, thanks! Are the forecasts automated do you know, or are they edited some by staff? Interesting to see the divergence between the two given that they work off the same data (and probably only noticed by the likes of myself who is a bit of a weather enthusiast and has been checked the two frequently over the last 48 hours)!

Posted
5 hours ago, 101_North said:

Latest GFS now has Sunday's low further south with the snow risk largely confined to the West.

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

The search for some snow potential for the Edinburgh area continues! Always going to be difficult in these setups.

Maybe not too long, the 'slider' going further south at least keeps us in the cold and by Tuesday morning there's another system heading in that shows some pretty significant opportunity for snowfall, with some parts of central and southern Scotland getting snow for over 24 hours, especially with some moderate elevation. Admittedly it may not stay as snow in Edinburgh but certainly possible. Obviously it's still 6 days away and will most definitely change but if the event on Sunday misses to the south, then we still at least have further opportunity in the days afterwards. I'd be amazed if central, southern Scotland doesn't at least get one half decent accumulation over the next week to 10 days. 

(The last photo is dew points at 9am on Tuesday when the precipitation hits)

IMG_7017.PNG

IMG_7018.PNG

IMG_7019.PNG

IMG_7020.PNG

IMG_7021.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Interesting, thanks! Are the forecasts automated do you know, or are they edited some by staff? Interesting to see the divergence between the two given that they work off the same data (and probably only noticed by the likes of myself who is a bit of a weather enthusiast and has been checked the two frequently over the last 48 hours)!

Are you looking at a location forecast on a website or on a TV broadcast? It is all automated data, me and Sean (and Alex Hill) can edit the data on our telly maps. We have to watch close sites such as Aberdeen /Aberdeen airport etc if you edit one, the other may appear on an outlook and still be raw data. For high profile events such as Wimbledon or Glastonbury, the data would be edited by MO, due to high number of enquiries for that specific site. Otherwise, not sure why there should be much difference. Impression, of course, maybe influenced just slightly from the presenter and their enthusiasm for snow.  We can alter the clock to show just 'Thursday', rather than each hour. That can compensate for timing issues, if we know a front will be faster. Or tweak the colour scales to enhance a cold/hot message. It's all smoke and mirrors.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Are you looking at a location forecast on a website or on a TV broadcast? It is all automated data, me and Sean (and Alex Hill) can edit the data on our telly maps. We have to watch close sites such as Aberdeen /Aberdeen airport etc if you edit one, the other may appear on an outlook and still be raw data. For high profile events such as Wimbledon or Glastonbury, the data would be edited by MO, due to high number of enquiries for that specific site. Otherwise, not sure why there should be much difference. Impression, of course, maybe influenced just slightly from the presenter and their enthusiasm for snow.  We can alter the clock to show just 'Thursday', rather than each hour. That can compensate for timing issues, if we know a front will be faster. Or tweak the colour scales to enhance a cold/hot message. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Was referring to location forecast on the websites. Seems to be slight divergence between the two for Inverness - might be due to the two forecasts use a different precise geographic spot for 'Inverness' for the forecast? Quite a lot of difference within the city between say Clachnaharry and Balvonie or Leachkin in terms of altitude, distance from sea etc.

Thanks for sharing all that though, always interested to hear more about the nature of the beast that is professional meteorology / public forecasting!  

Posted

@NorthernRab don't know if you use it already but there is a met office local forecast for Bogbain, which, given its altitude and proximity to you, will be a lot more accurate for Leys than any Inverness forecast :) 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Appears that there'll be plenty opportunity for surprises to pop up at short notice too with an area of heavy snow being forecast on the latest GFS 12Z for the central belt down towards Haddington etc. for overnight into Sunday 

IMG_7027.PNG

IMG_7028.PNG

IMG_7029.PNG

IMG_7030.PNG

• Like 3

Posted

And the first casualty of Caroline ( and she's no even here yet! ) .......... telly signal gone, not that it's such a bad thing! :laugh: