Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
26 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

You driving or taking the train? You'll be fine if its the latter - Highland mainline can take a lot of snow!

DRIVING! Hence the slight alarm...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
36 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

DRIVING! Hence the slight alarm...

Perhaps the train would be a better option. I wouldn't worry though, all the current excitement over later next week is just that. Fizzle...

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Perhaps the train would be a better option. I wouldn't worry though, all the current excitement over later next week is just that. Fizzle...

With what we have planned then cba with public transport. Plus I don't fancy training it from Aviemore to Dumfries and I like driving.

I don't have a bmw (yet!) so my wee car is pretty decent in snow but I more fear the road will just be shut.

You're quite correct, way too far out for specifics but I should certainly see some snow during my stay up there and will have to wait until near the time to see if the low is going to bring disruption

Posted
17 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The 12z GFS has the cold air arriving at +96hrs onwards and staying with us until +360hrs!! 

If it lasts till t576 or thereabouts, we'll get a white xmas. A very white xmas. And Brexit is just a bad dream.

• Like 3

Posted

Back to the present, calm, grey and drizzle all day. Took doggie for a short walk in the woods - mud a'ways. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 hour ago, SW Saltire said:

With what we have planned then cba with public transport. Plus I don't fancy training it from Aviemore to Dumfries and I like driving.

I don't have a bmw (yet!) so my wee car is pretty decent in snow but I more fear the road will just be shut.

You're quite correct, way too far out for specifics but I should certainly see some snow during my stay up there and will have to wait until near the time to see if the low is going to bring disruption

A9 shouldn't be closed for too long, even during bad snowfalls. Again, all depends on how bad it is. 

Expect long delays but to still make it, if a bit tired and jaffa cakesed off :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Temps diving like a flume at the swimming pool on this ens plot, fun times ahead. Certainly a potent Northerly and into the freezer.

GFS really bullish with this, time to see if ECM has it's Xmas hat on too...

Great fun watching this winter with the atmosphere primed to deliver cold shots / blocks and strat waves - all things we haven't had to enjoy for the last couple of yrs.

Fingers crossed for first snow of the season for many from mid week.. 

graphe3_1000___-3.96226415094_55.9109311741_.gif

• Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

A9 shouldn't be closed for too long, even during bad snowfalls. Again, all depends on how bad it is. 

Expect long delays but to still make it, if a bit tired and jaffa cakesed off :p

Thanks! 

Oh well....  Just have to grin and bear it. I love the snow that much that i'd 100% take a nationwide snowfall over losing a few hours in traffic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

The Model thread is getting really excited about widespread cold spell with snow next week onwards.

However there doesn't seem to be much in the way of agreement on the long term forecasts that I've seen.

Here's the Norwegian Met Office: http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Glasgow/long.html

Here's the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648579

Here's the Weather Channel: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648579 who I notice are actually a bit better then the others.

Netweather's forecast is a bit more similar to the Weather Channel (Use the same model maybe?) Still, I'll remain sceptical until I see it happening within 24 hours. The last apparent cold spell saw temps barely dropping below freezing at night. Sorry, but positive overnight maxima a cold spell does not make. That's just average winter fare.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
11 minutes ago, shuggee said:

T+114....

2017-12-02 12z T+114 Snow risk.png

As it stands, I'm arriving back from Oslo (work trip) on Thursday evening (about 10 pm), driving home from Edinburgh airport.

Just hope roads, Soutra included, are ok. 

I don't mind the snaw, it's other people I'd rather not have on them. :diablo:

EDIT

Nice welcome home.

ecmt850.144.png

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Run of the century! Country on its knees! 1962 / 1978 / 1987 / 1995 / 2003 / 2009 / 2010!!!! (delete as applicable) Vortex in shreds! Eyes down for 18hz run! Egg on face! Zonal Atlantic conveyor belt! Pattern locked in! Trends! Shortwaves! Muir Sausage.

Right now that's done let's get on with enjoying winter :)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

These guys have now changed their tune a bit: http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Glasgow/long.html so we may be onto something. Still a very dry outlook for Glasgow but I can live with that. Can't beat a good ice day for feeling like a proper winter.

Aside from my personal weather preferences, one issue I do have is that with sub-zero temperatures then I hope local authorities - particularly Glasgow and Edinburgh - pay attention and begin taking action to protect rough sleepers. The problem is far more acute now than the last time we had sustained cold weather and so the risk of people - god forbid - freezing to death on the streets is now greater. One person reportedly died from exposure in Glasgow last year and if you have really low overnight temps then the worry is it will happen to more people. Sorry to put a dampener on what is a fun thread, but it's an issue that I would hope the authorites bear in mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I learnt something from Helen Willets this evening - that the collective noun for showers is a 'pestering'. (Now to replay it and watch the forecast rather than the purple number.)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Aye, latest Yr.no (based on ECM)  showing my village at 10c through Tue then dropping rapidly on Wed, to the point we barely manage to get above freezing though to the end of the run on Sunday. Not a lot on snow forecast, but it doesn't usually show up much at that range. 

Last of this weeks snow all disappeared during today, still, for it to lie from Thu isn't too bad at this time of year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

Run of the century! Country on its knees! 1962 / 1978 / 1987 / 1995 / 2003 / 2009 / 2010!!!! (delete as applicable) Vortex in shreds! Eyes down for 18hz run! Egg on face! Zonal Atlantic conveyor belt! Pattern locked in! Trends! Shortwaves! Muir Sausage.

Right now that's done let's get on with enjoying winter :)

steady as she goes

get the cold in first

atlantic smashing through

difficult to get cold to this little island 

• Like 1

Posted

Mild and grey (yawn) again today (yawn) but at least the stove won't have to be lit for a few more hours (yawn).

Three more days of yawning and off we go again....

• Like 7

Posted

Aye plenty yawning here also HC, downpour and 4c last night.. Grim. Looks like the last of the snow will disappear from the garden today. Pottering about and feeding the wildlife, overcast and dull as foook roll on the return of the snow 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted

Pretty sunset yesterday. A bit cloudier today but still some bright spells. 7c/4c.

BF81315C-7DB5-4C56-BAE3-DDE65089D8FD.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Pretty sunset yesterday. A bit cloudier today but still some bright spells. 7c/4c.

BF81315C-7DB5-4C56-BAE3-DDE65089D8FD.jpeg

Hints of a spectacular sunset here just now - someone will be getting a good display....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
42 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Hints of a spectacular sunset here just now - someone will be getting a good display....

Certainly a cracker here.

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Lovely walk this afternoon, pretty pink skies as the sun went down. Nice and calm, sky may clear later so we might get a glimpse of the Big Moon. I'm trying hard not to get too excited about the possibility of snow later this week as I know I could well be disappointed. We shall see....

• Like 1

Posted

Great day here too gentle breeze and a bit dull but not cold.Newly ploughed grass field surface dry enough to sow in today. Soil sample from this field will be taken tomorrow  .  Bringing straw bales  home and  refillng sheds in preparation for the end of the week.

Finished tidying up herbaecoeus border in garden so nearly ready to leave winter to take over  in the garden. Got some superb holly too in case birds go for it next weekend.

House oil top up ordered and a bulk load of cattle concentrate due on Tuesday.  Will fill all stick  baskets, coal buckets  in house tomorrow. Currently 6c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Dreich and murky morning here, going to be a meh sort of day. Anyone getting excited at the prospect of some white stuff arriving later this week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Lovely sunny day here too, getting worried about Thurs as I need the A7 to be open and passable.