Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

5 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

Hmmm, Ophelia seems to have gained strength.

All the models have her smashing into Ireland and then falling apart fairly quickly. The only places in Scotland at any risk of anything properly bad are the far south-west, if the models are right.

nmmukgust.thumb.png.10c5581ee0997bf13eb2b114ad9c45ef.pngnmmukgust-1.thumb.png.797512fbd44efc9a291869b20edd1bd6.pngnmmukgust-2.thumb.png.badb2876a332865f3519dd6c08708017.png

Edited by CatchMyDrift

We're just back from a week in Cornwall (St Ives my home town). Quite shocked by the temperature difference. Have spent a week in t'shirts, been kicking the duvet off in the night,  hubby and son went surfing and reported that the sea was warm. Walked into our house this evening and promptly put the heating on. 

DSC_0753.JPG

DSC_0797.JPG

• Like 2

So, work finished for the season, just back from a weeks holiday in Whisky country where we had great weather for the whole week. It only rained at night! But today we've already had gusts of 49.4mph and the temp outside is a ridiculous 16.1c. Is this Ophelia or has she still to make landing? Weather forecasts say we'll  get very little in the way of wind tomorrow, but yet another says we will! Welcome to confused.com! Guess I'll just have to wait and see.....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mistyqueen said:

So, work finished for the season, just back from a weeks holiday in Whisky country where we had great weather for the whole week. It only rained at night! But today we've already had gusts of 49.4mph and the temp outside is a ridiculous 16.1c. Is this Ophelia or has she still to make landing? Weather forecasts say we'll  get very little in the way of wind tomorrow, but yet another says we will! Welcome to confused.com! Guess I'll just have to wait and see.....

Ophelia doesn't hit Ireland until tomorrow and then loses a lot of energy very quickly. Unless there's a massive change in the forecast then it won't be anything out of the ordinary for anywhere in Scotland although it won't be a dead calm :)

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

70-80mph central belt Tuesday morning rush hour. 4" rain forecast in some places in Scotland. Not quite "ordinary" IMO.

Really? Where's the charts that show winds like that for the central belt? 

Here's the GFS's take. 60mph maximum from a model which tends to over estimate wind speeds:

ukgust-5.thumb.png.6a63fac10fb610f52fe7ca0f75519fdb.pngukgust-4.thumb.png.4cd29e926c77311ebdabd25e9bcaf998.pngukgust-3.thumb.png.7ab27c23f5a3526b7d4987b6b59d73a9.pngukgust-2.thumb.png.45679092cd904d67244c789ca6f8ec9b.pngukgust-1.thumb.png.be52d65ee733a4d65f95d8ec5de662f1.png

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 1

A truly dreich day here, although temp is just 7.2c. Rainy, dark and miserable and also dead calm. I expect a wee blaw later in the day, but nothing as severe as Ireland will be getting. Just hope everyone over there stays safe.

3 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

It's exceptionally dark here for 1 O'clock in the afternoon. Quite eerie

Exactly the same  here builders repairing troughs in steading benefitting from the old lights that we replaced two weeks ago.We now have LED ones which are absolutely fantastic. Currently  damp with low cloud down to  400 feet and 10c. Its suddenly even dimmer now. Never experienced anything like this.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Exactly the same  here builders repairing troughs in steading benefitting from the old lights that we replaced two weeks ago.We now have LED ones which are absolutely fantastic. Currently  damp with low cloud down to  400 feet and 10c. Its suddenly even dimmer now. Never experienced anything like this.

You can see why people used to believe in Armageddon. Without the scientific knowledge as to why this is all happening it would be even creepier than it already is!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Richard Taylor said:

This is utterly bizarre. It is now pitch black in Aberdeen. At just after 2.30pm. Street lights on. Never seen this before. Dark as in night. Not even midwinter goes it get this dark at this time.  

Same in Inverness! This is the strangest weather I've ever seen in my life.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Richard Taylor said:

This is utterly bizarre. It is now pitch black in Aberdeen. At just after 2.30pm. Street lights on. Never seen this before. Dark as in night. Not even midwinter goes it get this dark at this time.  

It really is very surreal.   Its as dark as midnight.