Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

Breezy with some sunny spells especially later this afternoon. This is overlooking Crichness Farm next to Crystal Rig Wind Farm near the boundary between the Scottish Borders and East Lothian council areas:

20171007_122938.mp4

We may get a glimpse of some meteors this evening but it does look cloudy later in the night. I am not sure we'll be missing much?

https://www.space.com/38390-draconid-meteor-shower-guide.html

I'll have another glance at the charts later this evening but it's not very interesting at the moment.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

Another fairly inaccurate local  short term forecast with today forecast as mostly dry  but in fact it was very wet this afternoon. Saw two huge combines parked up in a half cut field of wheat loking very forlorn in the rain this afternoon. . A bit of a faux pas from the civil servants in the agricultural  part of the Scottish government putting out a statement to the effect that cereal yields were up this year when a lot has been harvested in poor condition this past fortnight and 20% still remains to be cut in  the north of Scotland especially Aberdeenshire. Even in this area there is quite a lot of straw to bale so the price of straw is moving up especially  with all the fields being cut green in the middle of summer for all the bio digesters in the area.

• Like 2

Well we have finally done it... we moved into the new house yesterday, spent the last 24 hours unboxing etc, this move has been a long time coming for me as its always been my dream to live in the beautiful country that is Scotland..... I will over the next few days get my new weather station set up and hope that I can start to provide updates from this part of Aberdeenshire. winter is very much in my thoughts and I'm hopeful that I will see snaw lots of snaw this coming winter.

Good for you :) That's the kind of thing I would do, and have done in the past. Just upped sticks grabbed family and gone to somewhere I wanted to be! But mind - if that area gets nae snaw at aw and turns into Winter in Provence, then all the forumites who live up there will be forming a posse and coming after you ...:rofl:

Theresa May suggests she is prepared to demote Boris Johnson

Christ what does it take to get rid of the idiot?

Erm, the weather's ok I suppose today. Taking a short breather from wood splitting, old style.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1
On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:29, Hairy Celt said:

Christ what does it take to get rid of the idiot?

Erm, the weather's ok I suppose today. Taking a short breather from wood splitting, old style.

Seems like we're stuck with the clot.

Sunny spells today and quite mild.  Still splitting wood. I'll probably still be splitting wood when scatter cushion Johnson gets the elbow.

2 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

Major squall just passing through Glasgow some hail in it.. Turned out nice after this mornings front cleared aswell..

That was a short/sharp nasty little burst just went through here

Looks like Ophelia could bring some fun and games early next week.. still to far off to know exactly what is going to happen but on tonight's bbc weather they showed it as hitting us with some strong winds and lots of rain. my first storm since moving to Scotland so actually looking forward to it and seeing some real weather action.

Just for info I put this in the seasonal forecast thread;

I think the chances of heavy snow this winter are very high especially on the hills of Scotland.Why because a few weeks ago Glencoe Mountain anounced that they were going to  raise hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy a Snow Factory capable of making hundreds of tonnes of snow at up to 25c to give them at least one run of snow throughout the season from Ist December to Ist May after last years lack of snow .The news in the last day that Cairngorm Mountain is also going to trial a Snow Factory for December and January now confirms that at least the Mountains of Scotland will get dumped on by the weather snow  gods.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
11 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Anything but chilly here this morning with a temperature of over 17C at 8am. A bit cloudy and breezy with it. 

16C here, breezy too, from the SW. Leaden sky and there has been a spit in the air.

Non weather related and a moan - Doggie had her first "staging" following her treatment, yesterday ( all's well ) :), but it took 75mins to reach Fife from Roslin via the new bridge.

And how dark the evenings are now. The next major event for me is the winter solstice.

Such a rapid change to the weather in Lochaber today. Started dreadfully wet, low cloud and was so till late morning. I went inside to drip for a bit, when I came back out it was dry and by 3pm it was gloriously sunny and very breezy. The weather changes, yes, but this was so dramatic.