Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

Pits. Why have the Met Office been so consistently wrong this summer? Every single week they got it wrong for my area. they kept saying dry and sunny spells and it wasn't! Got so fed up we stopped watching the forecasts.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mardatha said:

Pits. Why have the Met Office been so consistently wrong this summer? Every single week they got it wrong for my area. they kept saying dry and sunny spells and it wasn't! Got so fed up we stopped watching the forecasts.

But even on netweather the local  1-3 day  forecasts have been very inaccurate this summer for haymaking and even for this coming weekend Sunday has been either bone dry or showery in the last 12 hours. Into our 18th hour of rain now so total shutdown in the fields and currently 11c

• Sad 1

Had everything in the weather this week so far - well, everything that's dry to wet and in between. No snow or gales yet but a frost suggested for inland tonight.  The ground is saturated, as NL says, and it's not drying up so quick no there's less sun and less heat around.

8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Had everything in the weather this week so far - well, everything that's dry to wet and in between. No snow or gales yet but a frost suggested for inland tonight.  The ground is saturated, as NL says, and it's not drying up so quick no there's less sun and less heat around.

It's been damp here but not wet, not like up at your end:

http://apps.sepa.org.uk/rainfall

Some stations up your way have had almost as much rain in the past 36 hours as we've had all month. We're on course for only slightly above average rainfall here. 

• Like 1

is it just me or have we lost the post editing function?

ok, no it's still there but maybe rather more time-limited than before....

sounds a bit like sex and other fun things, as you get older.

time for bed, said Zebedee.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Been a while people. How are we all doing? :) Sorry i've not posted much on here recently but got things going on just now (took the keys today to my first place on my own) so kind of excited for that. Weather did settle eventually lovely sunset got to admit

• Like 2

Same here, been reading occasionally but not been posting due to too much 'stuff' going on in my life. Not really been much worth getting excited about weather wise anyway. 

Thought my weather station was playing up this morning showing 1.6C (overnight low of 1.3C), but a quick look on the Internet showed that Aboyne hit 0.4C so my reading should be relatively accurate. Not far off the first frost of the Autumn/Winter, but not quite, just heavy dew. 

Settling our bees down for the winter now. It's been a strange, strange season in the bee world but we end the season still having 2 colonies with laying queens. One of those definitely has a new queen, the other we're not sure about, she could be a new queen or she could just have stopped laying for nearly 2 months. As for honey, loads of it in spring, mainly off the rape crops, very little over the summer. A real pity as the blossom/heather honey we got recently was much nicer than the rape honey we were drowning in in May. 

Hoping for a proper winter this year to make up for the lack of much that could be called summer. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

This isn't really weather related but many of you will recognise the legend in this pic. Beautifully partnered by Clyde on a wee detour this afternoon to go and pick up my boys for their weekend visit:

20170922_143514.thumb.jpg.79f269d1fd6f36c08360164ae46926d2.jpg

(in case anyone is wondering it's Tom Weir, Google "Weir's Way" for more :) ).

• Like 6

Dry and sunny above this mrning and currently 11c. Out this morning at 5.00pm  in the dark to check on first calver that we have kept in to observe and had the dog with me. As we approached the steading there was a terrific growl and a clatter as something jumped into the fold and hit the gate.Must have been a badger again. Dog was hilarious with every hair standing up on her back!! Ground still saturated with a very heavy dew and patchy mist this morning.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

This isn't really weather related but many of you will recognise the legend in this pic. Beautifully partnered by Clyde on a wee detour this afternoon to go and pick up my boys for their weekend visit:

20170922_143514.thumb.jpg.79f269d1fd6f36c08360164ae46926d2.jpg

(in case anyone is wondering it's Tom Weir, Google "Weir's Way" for more :) ).

Bonnie and Clyde... :hi:

Very misty and cold around here yesterday morning but it quickly cleared.  Also it was interesting to note that Munlochy was the coldest place I passed through - I notice this quite often in winter.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Northernlights I think I'd have had every hair standing up on my head too - I don't blame the wee dug! I'd be thinking of every demon/zombie/alien film I'd ever watched.... :rofl:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

When in Rome....

Don't worry Hairy I was raised up here so it's all good, Will hopefully be moving back permanently to Strontian within the next 5/7 year. I've just landed in Fort William waiting to catch the Corron Ferry, At least it's mild ☺

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Don't worry Hairy I was raised up here so it's all good, Will hopefully be moving back permanently to Strontian within the next 5/7 year. I've just landed in Fort William waiting to catch the Corron Ferry, At least it's mild

Mild?  Ground frost yesterday morning, got 20C early afternoon today. Reminds me of autumn in Alsace :mellow:

10 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Mild?  Ground frost yesterday morning, got 20C early afternoon today. Reminds me of autumn in Alsace :mellow:

Foggy mornings, warm days and chilly nights in the Aveyron at the mo.

• Like 1