Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

Cool autumnal   start to the day at 6.30am at 6.5c. Went out the door to be greeted by the sight of  the first huge skein of honking geese passing overhead heading south with a tail wind behind them.Took a few more steps round  corner the garden wall and almost collided with a pair of roe deer calves who have taken up residence in the turnip field behind the farmhouse. They just stood there looking at me and then walked off going  under the gate and then back into the field.Less than 18 inches clearance under the gate too.Currently overcast and 11c

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Cool autumnal   start to the day at 6.30am at 6.5c. Went out the door to be greeted by the sight of  the first huge skein of honking geese passing overhead heading south with a tail wind behind them.Took a few more steps round  corner the garden wall and almost collided with a pair of roe deer calves who have taken up residence in the turnip field behind the farmhouse. They just stood there looking at me and then walked off going  under the gate and then back into the field.Less than 18 inches clearance under the gate too.Currently overcast and 11c

Mean"t to add first snow of the season on Ben Nevis this morning

12 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Different world darn sarf!

I'm a southern softie now. More like a south-eastern softie as the weather here is very different to what I was used to when I lived out west. I'm not much further south but the east shift changes things massively. Very dry place but yet I still whinge about the rain. Never happy. I must visit up north at some point, I've never ventured past Stirling too often (except Aberdeen).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm a southern softie now. More like a south-eastern softie as the weather here is very different to what I was used to when I lived out west. I'm not much further south but the east shift changes things massively. Very dry place but yet I still whinge about the rain. Never happy. I must visit up north at some point, I've never ventured past Stirling too often (except Aberdeen).

Aye Catch, I noticed the difference a couple of week back when me n' Mrs Big Innes had a wee day oot in St Andrews and then drove doon the East Coast through Ainster etc.

The Combine Harvesters were everywhere and the crops looking plentiful. Here in the West O' Fife the summers have been changed to the Annual West Fife Monsoon which now seem tae last from June tae, the next April.

The ground and Fields through here are so wet that any salvageable Harvests are done by a Fermur oan a Dredger.

Big Innes         

• Like 2

Absolutely Baltic wind here today, goes right roond ye! I caved in and put the central heating on this morning. I can normally last out till the end of September but I really felt the cold today. Anyhoo, at least the wind keeps the midges away! Always a plus side to the Scottish weather, eh?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Aye Catch, I noticed the difference a couple of week back when me n' Mrs Big Innes had a wee day oot in St Andrews and then drove doon the East Coast through Ainster etc.

The Combine Harvesters were everywhere and the crops looking plentiful. Here in the West O' Fife the summers have been changed to the Annual West Fife Monsoon which now seem tae last from June tae, the next April.

The ground and Fields through here are so wet that any salvageable Harvests are done by a Fermur oan a Dredger.

Big Innes         

The verges on the M90 looked like they'd been mown by a plough the other day so perhaps there's mileage in harvesting with a dredger. And there was that geriatric American who tried to cut down a tree with his small plane recently.

• Like 1

Cute start to the day with two young roe deer looking in the window at me.  They are in the turnip field next to the farm not afraid of humans and very inquisitive.Tried to get a photo as they moved away so a  bit blurred.P9160865.thumb.JPG.a9422986123827f782a216a6ef7f6c46.JPG

Currently very wet and 9c so feels and looks like mid October. A lot of crop still to cut in the area as well as straw to bale so everyone looking for some dryer weather.

• Like 5

More steady rain this morning     Even for a farmer that has secured the  harvest the almost continuous rain of the last ten days is getting tedious.A NNW wind  can be a wet direction for the south side of the Moray Firth. Fields are waterlogged now.

Took in the first cow to calve last night and  we have nice heifer calf born at 5.30am.   At least it will get to dry off before we put it out later today. Currently10c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Awh keep her in - it's bloody freezing oot there ! All the forecasts said we'd have a good dry day here.. it has rained nonstop persistently since half 5 ! I am SO not amused.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Awh keep her in - it's bloody freezing oot there ! All the forecasts said we'd have a good dry day here.. it has rained nonstop persistently since half 5 ! I am SO not amused.

It's bloody freezin' here in France, too. :angry:

At least I'm not missing any fine autumnal Scottish weather. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, ciel said:

It's bloody freezin' here in France, too. :angry:

At least I'm not missing any fine autumnal Scottish weather. :D

No you are NOT. 13C and grey all day here. If you can stick it out a few more days, it should get better - depending on where you are a bit I suppose. France is a lot bigger than Scotland and the weather can vary even more from one part to another than it does in the glorious motherland. Enjoy!

(Excuse pointless post, chaps.)

• Like 1

We had a bit of sunshine here earlier when I was out with the wee yin walking the dugs.

I wasn't expecting rain, so have been very lucky; not long home and the heavens have just opened in to give a torrential downpour. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Great blue sky  dry day after a cool start at 5c, what a change, combines appeared all around us  in the afternoon.Thousands of geese here now probably a fortnight earlier than usual but they probably decided to come early hitching a ride on the northnorthwesterly wind of the last few days

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

We reached 19.6'C yesterday with wall to wall sunshine all day. 

Currently 12'C and pishin rain. :mellow:

It was gorgeous yesterday evening but it's gloomy this morning. No rain here yet.

Yesterday:

20170919_185405.thumb.jpg.88c1af499cd265667754a96645680d2a.jpg

Today:

20170920_094325.thumb.jpg.8efb1813b3c4b798c37833fb971c84fb.jpg

Still very snoozy weather. October has come early and I dislike October as a weather month :nonono:  :laugh:

• Like 4