Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

2 hours ago, Cheggers said:

Good morning all, long time away, but weather been by and large guff Only seen a good stretch of sun when in Spain beginning of July.

Not too bad a start to today, chilly but heading to Stirling Castle with my visiting mother, so hope the rain stays away.

If anyone interested there is a Spitfire and Mustang P51 flying out of Cumbernauld airport all week, and I hear that for £3k you can have a ride for 30 min.

Eh fur 3k Cheggars ah would be wantin Business Class tae Sunny Climes in a Big Basturt Plane :D 

Big Innes

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

Any help for clear skies in Scotland tonight and tomorrow night. Kp7 aurora forecast and would hate to miss it. Probably on the North East, maybe even manage to get as far as The Black Isle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another fine day, breezy, sunny intervels and a maximum of 17c. Finally finished  the last batch of this seasons hay and baled the last straw field  last night.   Have done more outside work that needs dry weather in the last four days than in the last four weeks so tired contented farmer but only for a week or so as cows about to calve. At least if the forecast rain and wind arrives then we are up to date as we can be.

• Like 5

STV did a piece on Wednesday about "the weathermen of Ben Nevis" from Edinburgh Botanical garden weather enclosure with Marjory Roy, who wrote a book about the observers from the turn of the previous century.

There is a campaign for people to help digitise the records https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/edh/weather-rescue/ 

More info https://www.obantimes.co.uk/2017/09/06/new-project-launched-to-save-historical-ben-nevis-weather-data/

The book had some lovely details in it, about how once the observation hut was covered in deep snow it was cosy, but Autumn and Spring could be perishingly cold. The dangers of going out to get the observations in such strong winds, that they would tie on with ropes. 

http://ben-nevis.com/information/history/observatory/observatory.php

• Like 4
5 hours ago, scott125 said:

Last few days have felt cool and autumnal or even wintery . Dull gloomy mornings .

Yes a very autumnal day here with sharp showers and a few sunny intervels and the fast changing colours on the trees make it look much later into autumn.A farmer on the Black Isle posted a photo of a  formation of geese  . If they are the first migrating ones it seems quite early.He also said all his swallows had left but there still quite a number here.Currently 10c

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Back home :(

Dramatic skies before the rain comes:

20170910_181359.thumb.jpg.8dec7f7a36359abd950330e4ae43e628.jpg

I think we'll still squeeze some warm weather in before autumn starts properly. Probably a week in October when it's of no use to man nor beast.

Yes quite a considerable quantity of cereals to cut up here still  and the quality will soon be lost if these heavy showers keep up.even tattie ground will soon be very wet for lifting. The autumn is not keeping up the good start it had.

• Like 1

The Met-Office have warnings out for tomorrow night into Wednesday for the far south of the country:

Screenshot_20170911-154014.thumb.png.f76a36a0d5cf86b294edadf5b83f9256.png

At the moment the warnings look too far north compared to the charts I have looked at (Euro4, GFS, WRF-NMM 5k) but perhaps the Met-O are onto something I can't see? Time will tell :) I'd post charts but my phone wants to save charts as a gif and not a jpg and I can't figure out how to change the settings...d'oh!! If I stop being lazy later I'll get my laptop out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Met-Office have warnings out for tomorrow night into Wednesday for the far south of the country:

Screenshot_20170911-154014.thumb.png.f76a36a0d5cf86b294edadf5b83f9256.png

At the moment the warnings look too far north compared to the charts I have looked at (Euro4, GFS, WRF-NMM 5k) but perhaps the Met-O are onto something I can't see? Time will tell :) I'd post charts but my phone wants to save charts as a gif and not a jpg and I can't figure out how to change the settings...d'oh!! If I stop being lazy later I'll get my laptop out.

Even if we don't get the wind this far north the rain could be something. Probably not needed with all the wet weather recently

• Like 2
3 hours ago, NUT said:

Even if we don't get the wind this far north the rain could be something. Probably not needed with all the wet weather recently

Aye, a proper look reveals I was half wrong and half right (that's good going for me). The wind warning looks wrong but the rain warning is decent enough looking at the Euro4:

11th Sept 17 Euro4 12z Precip +36hrs.bmp11th Sept 17 Euro4 12z Precip +42hrs.bmp

• Like 1

The 18z Euro4 and 00z GFS take the worst of the rain into Northern England. Later runs may bring it back slightly north again. Unlikely that anyone in Scotland will be seeing much wind from this.

• Like 2

Morning Campers! Lovely Autumnal feel these mornings, but very mild temps, even at night! Roll on the Autumn frosts and clear nights! Temps averaging out about 12c these days, and wee drizzly showers along with it. Breezy in other parts today I see. Won't be long before it's our turn!

• Like 2

Another wet dreich mid October morning with more heavy rain overnight. Currently 8.5c. Ground getting very wet now. Even clearing round  bales is going to be a messy job unless we get some drying winds.

Edited by Northernlights