Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

19 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Still really mixed signals - BBC/MetO not really going for anything more than "some snow" whilst GFS going full blown snowmageddon.

:confused:

Screenshot_20180114-083957.thumb.png.6e0e295002fecc9eb5fcbb622f8e17b7.png

"heavy wintry showers"

"snow accumulations even at sea level"

For the Met-O that's a full scale ramp.

• Like 4
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

10 hours ago, edo said:

indeed CMD.... even @101_North

From past experience I'm expecting initial rain showers, then the snow showers will largely avoid me, the low will eventually track too far north or south and then right at the tail end of the cold snap I'll be granted a dusting :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
37 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Anyone know what the forecast for Scotland is for next week then?    They are all too busy greetin' in their cornflakes over what appears to be the crash and burn of their snow spell in all of the overnight models?

I can only find one reference to us amongst the tears and that still seems to be on track?:search:

It's a full on cult-esque mass suicide in the MOD thread this morning. Still looking like the Thursday potential storm is staying on a more northern track, for the moment. Means more of a chance for snow for us lot, but wet and windy for those south of the border, hence the toys being sent flying. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Just as well we've got an independent thread for Scottish winter weather....

Much friendlier too.. I get generally ignored because I cant come up the with verbal meteorlogical runs like some do. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, snowbunting said:

Much friendlier too.. I get generally ignored because I cant come up the with verbal meteorlogical runs like some do. 

I don't post in it in general, skim read it for the ones who know what they're on about and skip a lot of it. It's a shame as there are a hardcore who know a lot but a lot who talk the talk but that's about it.

FAX charts look interesting, plenty going on with troughs and occlusions so it shouldn't be dry:

Screenshot_20180114-090720.thumb.jpg.c810019bda6baab5a9f48ae983c1cf93.jpg

The Euro4 is coming into range for Tuesday soon, should be plenty to start a full scale rampede.

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I don't post in it in general, skim read it for the ones who know what they're on about and skip a lot of it. It's a shame as there are a hardcore who know a lot but a lot who talk the talk but that's about it.

FAX charts look interesting, plenty going on with troughs and occlusions so it shouldn't be dry:

Screenshot_20180114-090720.thumb.jpg.c810019bda6baab5a9f48ae983c1cf93.jpg

The Euro4 is coming into range for Tuesday soon, should be plenty to start a full scale rampede.

The Fax does look really good for Scotland. Maybe even Thundersnow by Tuesday. Im happy with this. 

Just now, snowbunting said:

The Fax does look really good for Scotland. Maybe even Thundersnow by Tuesday. Im happy with this. 

I'm excited for everyone for Tuesday and Wednesday too, and the showers won't even reach here :)

I'm banking on the Weds-Thurs storm to do it for me (plus quite a few others hopefully).

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm excited for everyone for Tuesday and Wednesday too, and the showers won't even reach here :)

I'm banking on the Weds-Thurs storm to do it for me (plus quite a few others hopefully).

Im sure it will.  Looking very interesting week coming up. 

• Like 1

i think you will see snow falling CMD.... the heaviness and frequency of precipitation coupled with a decent wind by Tuesday should see some flakes make it over but probably no accumulation until the storm. 

Edited by edo
1 minute ago, edo said:

i think you will see snow falling CMD.... the heaviness and frequency of precipitation coupled with a decent wind by Tuesday should see some flakes make it over but probably no accumulation until the storm. 

I like your optimism..."until the storm" :)

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Pretty like much of the programmes on bbc these days. Does anyone actually watch the crap they broadcast as drama? (Sorry...)

Much the same as yourself HC, I watch some of their documentaries, that's about the extent 

As always in these westerly set-ups, for up here, Glen Shiel looking great. Any room at the inn?

IMG_6467.thumb.PNG.4885a01e9443e56810c2bdee1966a465.PNG

• Like 1

Looking like the western ski resorts, Nevis and Glencoe, will pick up a good dumping of snow this week, if it doesn't all get blown back off. Not sure they'll see many running lifts though. Anyone else who has the freedom to head to either when the weather calms down could be in for a real treat. 

I had 7 days straight skiing up Nevis Range from the 1st - the wind has blown it about this week so hoping the gullies are filled now and any new snow settles well so when the wind finally goes we can get back up to play.  Such a different winter than last years mehness!!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Tuesday is looking incredible here - Metoffice keep ramping up the snow more and more every couple of hours.

Heavy snow and a howling wind - proper Mid-Winter Scottish weather! :cold::yahoo:

I work backshift in East Kilbride. I start at 6pm tomorrow and finish at 2am. Looking at the forecast I may struggle to get home to Barrhead :cold:

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

From past experience I'm expecting initial rain showers, then the snow showers will largely avoid me, the low will eventually track too far north or south and then right at the tail end of the cold snap I'll be granted a dusting :D

I’d take that in a heartbeat! :D

As Catch says the Met O mentioning snow accumulating even at sea level is very unusual, that should definitely count as ramping. :D

Very interesting few days coming up, I feel projections for Thursdays storm will change several times yet before we have an idea of its impact.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Surely am amber warning for Tuesday is about to appear... 

I should bloody think so ?? 

they're now going for 64 hours of continuous snowfall and snow showers  here, starting 5pm Monday night right through til 9am on Thursday Morning ?? I know it'll change again but I don't want it to ? 

IMG_7460.thumb.PNG.4732fe8c1cf4c0766467e7d2b6a71fe1.PNG

IMG_7461.thumb.PNG.ad5171da168fe2f0676c330989ad99d3.PNG

IMG_7462.thumb.PNG.dbb293aa7372920a6de92f372ae24a33.PNG

IMG_7463.thumb.PNG.d09fa8eda83f0ba3183dfcd5cc86da7a.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 5