Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

Back from dog walking, big heavy flakes and laying well on frozen ground. Been going fairly well for the last hour. Maybe 10mm on the ground so far.

Coming in easterly off the sea.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

Currently on M80 in a blizzard Near Stirling A good 5 cm here. Must say (as a southerner) I’m really impressed with all the snow ploughs and fritters. Have seen about 10 in last hour from Carlisle. Down saft it would be gridlock! Anyone know how the A9 is looking ? 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Based on the Met Office weather warning, just south of Aberdeen. Up here I would expect a spell of cold drizzle.

Hi Michael, you won’t be disappointed. 3c and drizzle in a cold SE wind. To be fair, exactly as forecast.

As always great to see the photos from elsewhere!

2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Currently on M80 in a blizzard Near Stirling A good 5 cm here. Must say (as a southerner) I’m really impressed with all the snow ploughs and fritters. Have seen about 10 in last hour from Carlisle. Down saft it would be gridlock! Anyone know how the A9 is looking ? 

Not sure, you should check traffic Scotland website if possible, usually very up to date with road conditions etc, and plenty cams

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ross B said:

Any bets on whether the stuff moving over Northern Ireland will be rain or snow when it gets here? It looks pretty heavy! 

It's snowing over here above 200mts which was not expected. I would expect something similar for Scotland.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Any bets on whether the stuff moving over Northern Ireland will be rain or snow when it gets here? It looks pretty heavy! 

Meto have it easing off for me in the next hour or two, then back on later this afternoon. Previously they had it sleety, now just moderate to heavy snow, so that's promising.

I need to pick up the wife, mother in law and mini Mrs SS from the airport at 16:00, so a break ahead of that is probably a good thing.

Gritters will be going back and forth over soutra as they do in such conditions, so looks clear enough.

And of course I have the nokian weatherproofs on.

EDIT

@Tim Bland Ach you'll be fine. Takes -10C, 2 inches of pack ice and a foot of snaw on top before we start getting stuck in these parts.

I've got 35 miles each way to the airport later over a 400 m pass. Not in the least concerned.

Still good on you for being prepared as I will.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Stay safe Tim... some real bad weather your way.

Anyhow just for reference 

Here’s a gritter

B0883977-CBAE-4B4B-83BF-259317A60A50.thumb.jpeg.c9b5db6ab9c6361b6cbf0ed4894810b2.jpeg

And this is a fritter.....Tasty but not much use in a blizzard:D

E15C3D36-AB6A-4C22-AEE0-CDC2F2528EEA.thumb.jpeg.28599d1b23aed0d9fa584da3a2f56d2e.jpeg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Thanks all. Just getting on A9 from Stirling. Have a full tank of fuel. A bag of food, a shovel and some snow socks so should be ok! 

Heavy snow on traffic cam at Balhadie, about 12 miles up the road, one lane looks closed, traffic still moving though.

Well a good top up but the main band has passed over now, not the top up I was expecting all the same. The band seemed to split and fragment over the southern central belt with a heavier area moving north of Glasgow, and another heavier area moving through southwest Scotland across the borders (In line I think with MetO's initial thoughts). So the 4 inches I was hoping for has in reality been about 1-2 inches. We do now have half a foot of snow in the gardens though adding to Tuesday's accumulation. And on the roads we have half an inch of solid ice, followed by 1-2 inches of fresh snow, which my car is getting very upset about. 

IMG_7287.thumb.PNG.25c20121917133ba9673afdd1607062a.PNG

IMG_7295.thumb.PNG.31f4289e169403c98aa0a07e267d835b.PNG

IMG_7294.thumb.PNG.c54ec8f1787ded03f72f93976930c9b6.PNG

IMG_7297.thumb.PNG.17e2a10d9d79ccc8ad2afb4b94c4ff93.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 4
3 minutes ago, mardatha said:

SS is there any sign of it easing for me either this afternoon or tomorrow morning? I need to get to a bank.

Radar has a break incoming as predicted. If you want to get out, in an hour or two when it eases off is your best bet.

Tomorrow is predicted to be more sleety pish, so shouldn't present any issues.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, edo said:

im with @101_Northits a total non event here...... snowing for over an hour and barely a dusting..... there will be no sledges...... oh what have we done to curse you snow gods 

Wife just phoned and suggested that they've had maybe an inch or so at home in the last hour but easing off now. Typically the heavier stuff started once I'd left for work so I missed it. The charts and forecasts hinted at the possibility for a really good fall - wasn't to be. Snowing in Edinburgh City Center and settling which is rare enough but really only a slight dusting here. 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Wife just phoned and suggested that they've had maybe an inch or so in the last hour but easing off now. Typically the heavier stuff started once I'd left for work so I missed it. The charts and forecasts hinted at the possibility for a really good fall - wasn't to be. Snowing in Edinburgh City Center and settling which is rare enough but really only a slight dusting here. 

we have barely a dusting and its started to rain now :wallbash:

ach well im not gonna let it upset me :girl_devil:

16 minutes ago, Swave Snow said:

Anybody know if this low pressure is going to pivot 

Nae luck. Hoped it might loop back on us from the north and west but seems to be barreling through, west to east. Snow still falling here but clearance looks imminent going by the radar. Proverbial dusting here in Leith (a few millimeteres) but higher parts of town may have got a centimetre or two.

5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Wife just phoned and suggested that they've had maybe an inch or so at home in the last hour but easing off now. Typically the heavier stuff started once I'd left for work so I missed it. The charts and forecasts hinted at the possibility for a really good fall - wasn't to be. Snowing in Edinburgh City Center and settling which is rare enough but really only a slight dusting here. 

Could have been worse I guess. Just debating whether I should take me and the boy up to The Braids for a bit of sledging. If they've put an inch or so on that crusty layer from a few days ago then it might be a goer. If I win Euromillions I'm going to fund a PhD for someone to work out why we're generally cursed in otherwise potentially very promising situations here.

• Like 2